Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 29,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Virginia both southern and Mid Atlantic,im sure most people see NC as southern
Those must be from people who haven't spent much time in the state or maybe haven't looked at a map, because clearly North Carolina is in the middle of the eastern seaboard.Virginia and North Carolina are basically the same. Asheville equals Charlottesville, Winston Salem equals Richmond, Greensboro equals Norfolk, Fayetteville equals Hampton Roads, Suffolk equals Rocky Mount, Eastern NC equals Tidewater, VA, Roanoke Rapids equals Emporia, and The Triangle equals Northern Virginia. Like Virginia, the majority of black North Carolinians have ties to DC and Maryland. Gogo music and Redskins are popular in Eastern NC, Raleigh, The Triad, etc. Plus areas such as Knightdale, Apex, Cary, Wake Forest, etc are just too educated and too diverse to be southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
No it's not. The Research Triangle has much more in common with Northern Virginia and the DC area than it does Atlanta. The Triangle area is no where near as southern as Nashville, Memphis, and to a smaller extent, Atlanta. I can drive around I-85 Durham and feel like I'm driving I-95 Fredericksburg. If you were to ask someone across country for example such as California, Arizona, etc. They would most likely refer to North Carolina as the east coast rather than the south. Who cares whether it was a confederate state or not. This is 2014, not 1861.
That's your perception and that's fine, but like I said before, some of the urban areas in NC such as the Triangle and the Charlotte metro are indeed less culturally southern than the rural areas. However, you can't assume the whole state of NC isn't culturally southern because of these urban areas. These urban areas can't overpower the whole state of NC.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Why are there people actually entertaining BajanYankee if you're familar with him its obvious he's just fooling lol
No duh, he's done this game before lol.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I will never understand the people who insist on saying The Triangle is so similar to NoVA. They share some similarities but overall they're completely different places especially culturally.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 PM

19 posts, read 29,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Have you traveled around North Carolina outside of the major urban areas/metros? Eastern NC, which is quite rural overall, is about as Deep South as the Delta Region of Mississippi and southern Alabama and southern Georgia. Practically all of the rural areas in NC and the majority of the rural areas of Virginia are still very southern. Overall, North Carolina is very similar to Georgia and there are obvious similarities between North and South Carolina. North Carolina's best pair these days is probably Virginia based off similarities, but NC also has a lot in common with the three other states that border NC (South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee).
Dude, North Carolina is nowhere close to being as southern as Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc and you know that. Not even the rural parts. North Carolina is NOT similar to Georgia in the slighest. The two are like night and day. Georgia has only one metro Atlanta and North Carolina has multiple. There are no SEC schools in North Carolina nor is College Football huge at all as it is in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc. North Carolina has much better race relations and is much more progressive overall than Georgia. Most of North Carolina colleges are in the ACC and rivals are Virginia and Maryland, not Georgia. Black North Carolinians have ties to DC and Maryland, not Georgia. Georgia has much more in common with North Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, etc than North Carolina. Even South Carolina feels vastly different than North Carolina. Geographically and culturally, Georgia is southern to the bone while North Carolina is not. Geographically and culturally, North Carolina is Mid-Atlantic along with Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia(maybe), and Delaware.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
Dude, North Carolina is nowhere close to being as southern as Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc and you know that. Not even the rural parts. North Carolina is NOT similar to Georgia in the slighest. The two are like night and day. Georgia has only one metro Atlanta and North Carolina has multiple. There are no SEC schools in North Carolina nor is College Football huge at all as it is in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc. North Carolina has much better race relations and is much more progressive overall than Georgia. Most of North Carolina colleges are in the ACC and rivals are Virginia and Maryland, not Georgia. Black North Carolinians have ties to DC and Maryland, not Georgia. Georgia has much more in common with North Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, etc than North Carolina. Even South Carolina feels vastly different than North Carolina. Geographically and culturally, Georgia is southern to the bone while North Carolina is not. Geographically and culturally, North Carolina is Mid-Atlantic along with Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia(maybe), and Delaware.
The DC area and Maryland are better off being grouped in with Delaware, Pennsylvania, and possibly New Jersey. NC IS similar to Georgia, a lot more than SC and almost as Virginia. Charlotte is basically Atlanta's glitzy little sister with less tourism and attractions. These cities (Atlanta and Charlotte) are probably the two best examples of "New South" large southern cities/metros. Plus, the Southern Piedmont Accent goes from the Virginia piedmont through the Carolinas to the Atlanta area. This is the accent many North Carolinians in the piedmont and Georgians in the Atlanta metro possess. Northern Georgia is similar to western NC with the Appalachian mountains, the piedmont of Georgia is where the majority of the states population lives because of the Atlanta metro and this is the same case with the piedmont in NC with Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle, and southern Georgia is like eastern NC with a much shorter coast line. I agree that NC is much more progressive than Georgia, but NC outside the urban areas is still pretty conservative. For example, amendment 1 back in 2012. All the counties that were more rural voted for it and all the urban counties went against it. Also, the Atlanta metro is pretty moderate. I do agree about ACC sports, but there is a reason why the North Carolina/Virginia football rivalry is still known as the "Oldest rivalry in the SOUTH." I've always seen North Carolina and Virginia as the two most sophisticated and moderate southern states, and this is definitely the case with the state's two universities. Maryland is actually switching over from the ACC to the Big 10, but that's a different story. We could argue about this all day so I'm moving on after this post, but this is only MY opinion.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
The Triangle and NOVA are not as similar as far as the feel of the two like Alexandria what in the Triangle feels like that, but on paper these two areas share alot together.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
That's your perception and that's fine, but like I said before, some of the urban areas in NC such as the Triangle and the Charlotte metro are indeed less culturally southern than the rural areas. However, you can't assume the whole state of NC isn't culturally southern because of these urban areas. These urban areas can't overpower the whole state of NC.
You just describe the state of Maryland and Delaware.......

Old 04-15-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I will never understand the people who insist on saying The Triangle is so similar to NoVA. They share some similarities but overall they're completely different places especially culturally.
Yeah the Triangle area is more country and bush......

Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
The DC area and Maryland are better off being grouped in with Delaware, Pennsylvania, and possibly New Jersey. NC IS similar to Georgia, a lot more than SC and almost as Virginia. Charlotte is basically Atlanta's glitzy little sister with less tourism and attractions. These cities (Atlanta and Charlotte) are probably the two best examples of "New South" large southern cities/metros. Plus, the Southern Piedmont Accent goes from the Virginia piedmont through the Carolinas to the Atlanta area. This is the accent many North Carolinians in the piedmont and Georgians in the Atlanta metro possess. Northern Georgia is similar to western NC with the Appalachian mountains, the piedmont of Georgia is where the majority of the states population lives because of the Atlanta metro and this is the same case with the piedmont in NC with Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle, and southern Georgia is like eastern NC with a much shorter coast line. I agree that NC is much more progressive than Georgia, but NC outside the urban areas is still pretty conservative. For example, amendment 1 back in 2012. All the counties that were more rural voted for it and all the urban counties went against it. Also, the Atlanta metro is pretty moderate. I do agree about ACC sports, but there is a reason why the North Carolina/Virginia football rivalry is still known as the "Oldest rivalry in the SOUTH." I've always seen North Carolina and Virginia as the two most sophisticated and moderate southern states, and this is definitely the case with the state's two universities. Maryland is actually switching over from the ACC to the Big 10, but that's a different story. We could argue about this all day so I'm moving on after this post, but this is only MY opinion.
Your entire opinion of Maryland and Delaware is pure BS because Maryland especially does not resemble New Jersey. Maryland is more in Common with Virginia and North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.