Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times

Advertisements

[quote=muppethammer26;34675648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

The North Atlantic States includes New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI and CT) and the Middle Atlantic States (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, WV and sometimes VA). If there is a South Atlantic States region, then why you don't hear about the North Atlantic States region?

The Northeastern States includes all the states that are part of the North Atlantic States plus the Great Lakes States such as Michigan and Illinois.
No, the Northeast is New England and the Mid-Atlantic states of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Great Lakes states are Midwestern (except NY and PA, which both border a Great Lake but aren't really considered "Great Lakes states". Wanted to point that out to avoid confusion).

I haven't heard the term "North Atlantic." You have New England at the most northern Atlantic US, and its states are not contested by any sane person nor do its states fall into any other Census designated categories different from the general consensus. Then the Mid-Atlantic region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD sometimes VA and sometimes even WV but according to the Census, the Mid-Atlantic is just NY, NJ, and PA). The South Atlantic is generally considered to be Virginia, or North Carolina, and south (but according to the Census it's DE and south). No matter who you listen to, the Census or general opinions, there's still no "North Atlantic."

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/.../us_regdiv.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
I'd put NC up there as the least undesirable. -- My list ends here because the North East is IMO one of the least desirable areas to live in. Pittsburgh might be okay, but still very cold. NY/NJ are dreadful. Terrible traffic, high cost of living, bad weather regularly, risk of major storms, insect problems, and stupid culture No offense to anyone who has convinced themselves it is wonderful, of course.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I'd put NC up there as the least undesirable. -- My list ends here because the North East is IMO one of the least desirable areas to live in. Pittsburgh might be okay, but still very cold. NY/NJ are dreadful. Terrible traffic, high cost of living, bad weather regularly, risk of major storms, insect problems, and stupid culture No offense to anyone who has convinced themselves it is wonderful, of course.
Oh, "no offense"? It's fine then, go ahead, blatantly insult two states you've probably visited once (the airports and Manhattan, I presume?). As long as you mean "no offense"…

You're right. It's so miserable here. Not sure why I even live here… I need to move. Traffic sucks and obviously only exists here, we get natural disasters (because no one else in the country does, they're all immune to bad weather, earthquakes, raging wildfires - Hey California!), no one else has bugs, either, now that I think about it. All the bugs in the country are confined to New York and New Jersey, so are the bad weather clouds apparently. Our culture? Yeah, it's the dumbest. Wow, I need to move!

Old 05-24-2014, 04:46 PM

622 posts, read 949,449 times
[quote=JerseyGirl415;34676201]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post

No, the Northeast is New England and the Mid-Atlantic states of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Great Lakes states are Midwestern (except NY and PA, which both border a Great Lake but aren't really considered "Great Lakes states". Wanted to point that out to avoid confusion).

I haven't heard the term "North Atlantic." You have New England at the most northern Atlantic US, and its states are not contested by any sane person nor do its states fall into any other Census designated categories different from the general consensus. Then the Mid-Atlantic region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD sometimes VA and sometimes even WV but according to the Census, the Mid-Atlantic is just NY, NJ, and PA). The South Atlantic is generally considered to be Virginia, or North Carolina, and south (but according to the Census it's DE and south). No matter who you listen to, the Census or general opinions, there's still no "North Atlantic."

http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/.../us_regdiv.pdf
Delaware is a Mid-Atlantic state and was one of the Middle Colonies along with NY, NJ and PA. When the US only had 13 colonies, the North were the New England Colonies plus the Middle Colonies and the South were the Southern Colonies. There were no Northeast or Southeast back then. However, the country expanded to the Pacific Coast sometime later and the Old North obtained new states such as Ohio and Indiana to become the Northeast while the Old South obtained new states such as Alabama and Mississippi to become the Southeast.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 05-24-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM

110 posts, read 114,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
They are, of course, alphabetically:
Delaware
Maryland
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania

If you would like to include North Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia, then of course you may.
1. Maryland and Virginia (Tie)
Maryland and Virginia are too similar to me to separate rate separately. They are my favorite because of their historic, social, and architectural charms as well as their excellent economy and educational attainment. Both states are also very diverse and have low poverty rates.
2. Delaware
Delaware combines the Charm of Maryland and Virginia with the beautiful historic charm of Pennsylvania. The reason I did not rank Delaware higher is because of its slightly higher than average poverty rate, limited diversity, and small economy.
3. Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania has a very beautiful colonial charm and a very interesting and diverse culture. However, like Delaware, it has limited diversity, and lower than average educational attainment.
4. New Jersey
New Jersey has all of the economic perks of a state that I would want to live in. However, it is much too fast paced for me. Also, I enjoy unraveling the mysterious charms of the different places that I live. New Jersey definitely has its own charms but it is so built up and many old historic areas feel to rough around the edges to enjoy it as much. Alot of the buildings and houses also seem to have cheap siding that does not appeal to me.
5. New York
I don't really consider most of New York Mid-Atlantic. While New York has some very pretty towns and cities, the majority of Upstate New York outside of the New York Metro is not doing well financially. Educational attainment is low and poverty is high in many counties. The New York metro area has similar problems to New Jersey. It is too fast paced for me and lacks the old world charm that get PA, DE, MD, and VA. I do love the diversity and openness of New York though. It is truly unique.
6. North Carolina
I don't normally consider North Carolina Mid-Atlantic either. North Carolina is one of my favorite states. It has a very fast growing economy, beautiful cities, and a very lush landscape. However, I am not sure I would want to live in North Carolina. While it has a low cost of living, its poverty rate is high and median household income is low. Educational attainment is improving but it is still low. The school system is behind most states in the country. (especially Virginia, my home state). Lastly, the social atmosphere is still to conservative for me. In the cities of Charlotte and Raleigh this is less so but much of the state is still more conservative and religious than most states, even in those cities. All of these things are probably going change in a few years though.
7. West Virginia
West Virginia has the most beautiful landscape of all of the Mid-Atlantic states in my opinion. However, it is very widely known that West Virginia has one of the highest poverty rates, lowest median household incomes, and the lowest percentage of people with at least a bachelors degree There are also more people leaving the state than moving to it signifying that it will take a while for those problems to get better.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:38 PM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
The Carolinas are not Mid-Atlantic states. To claim otherwise is being flat-out disingenuous. Even Virginia, when considered in its entirety, is a stretch to be called “Mid-Atlantic.”

Old 12-05-2018, 02:49 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
North Mid-Atlantic: New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania.
South Mid-Atlantic: Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
Dude, North Carolina is nowhere close to being as southern as Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc and you know that. Not even the rural parts. North Carolina is NOT similar to Georgia in the slighest. The two are like night and day. Georgia has only one metro Atlanta and North Carolina has multiple. There are no SEC schools in North Carolina nor is College Football huge at all as it is in Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, etc. North Carolina has much better race relations and is much more progressive overall than Georgia. Most of North Carolina colleges are in the ACC and rivals are Virginia and Maryland, not Georgia. Black North Carolinians have ties to DC and Maryland, not Georgia. Georgia has much more in common with North Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, etc than North Carolina. Even South Carolina feels vastly different than North Carolina. Geographically and culturally, Georgia is southern to the bone while North Carolina is not. Geographically and culturally, North Carolina is Mid-Atlantic along with Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia(maybe), and Delaware.
North Carolina east of I-95 is very much like the South Carolina low country and south Georgia east of I-75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Your entire opinion of Maryland and Delaware is pure BS because Maryland especially does not resemble New Jersey. Maryland is more in Common with Virginia and North Carolina.
There's a persistent cultural gradient at work through the 13 original colonies. New York is a blend of New England and Pennsylvania. New Jersey is a blend of New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Pennsylvania is a blend of New York, New Jersey, Maryland and the Appalachian Mountains. Delaware is a blend of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland. Maryland is a blend of Pennsylvania, Delaware and Virginia. Virginia is a blend of Maryland, North Carolina and the Appalachians. North Carolina is a blend of Virginia, South Carolina and the Appalachians. South Carolina is a blend of North Carolina and Georgia.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

North Carolina east of I-95 is very much like the South Carolina low country and south Georgia east of I-75.

There's a persistent cultural gradient at work through the 13 original colonies. New York is a blend of New England and Pennsylvania. New Jersey is a blend of New York, Pennsylvania and Delaware. Pennsylvania is a blend of New York, New Jersey, Maryland and the Appalachian Mountains. Delaware is a blend of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland. Maryland is a blend of Pennsylvania, Delaware and Virginia. Virginia is a blend of Maryland, North Carolina and the Appalachians. North Carolina is a blend of Virginia, South Carolina and the Appalachians. South Carolina is a blend of North Carolina and Georgia.
All FACTS.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post

I second this!

Although, as I've pointed out in our talks before, I just don't consider New York Mid-Atlantic. I think of Greater NYC as it's own region into itself; Albany and the Hudson Valley areas are a blend of NYC and New England; the North Country has a mix of New England; Central and Western New York are both Great Lakes mixed with PA and Appalachia along the southern tier. I know you have objection to at least part of this, but even if I accepted that NY was Mid-Atlantic, that certainly wouldn't be one of the top two or three identifiers anywhere in NYS...

Penna west of Harrisburg is not M/A to me, either. Pittsburgh has elements of it, but again, that wouldn't be a defining characteristic or identifier of Pittsburgh. And come on, Erie, Williamsport, Scranton, Johnstown, surrounding areas? It would be a huge stretch to call any of those areas M/A...

Maybe I'm a bit of a curmudgeon lol. There was the Mid-Atlantic when there was only 13 Colonies, and there is the Mid-Atlantic in a larger, much more diverse country today. Most of what was historically considered the M/A, should not (and in my experience, isn't) considered the M/A today...

To the OP, Pennsylvania is probably my favorite state, period. I love everything about PA, what an awesome place. Every other state in the Mid-Atlantic comes after!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I second this!

Although, as I've pointed out in our talks before, I just don't consider New York Mid-Atlantic. I think of Greater NYC as it's own region into itself; Albany and the Hudson Valley areas are a blend of NYC and New England; the North Country has a mix of New England; Central and Western New York are both Great Lakes mixed with PA and Appalachia along the southern tier. I know you have objection to at least part of this, but even if I accepted that NY was Mid-Atlantic, that certainly wouldn't be one of the top two or three identifiers anywhere in NYS...

Penna west of Harrisburg is not M/A to me, either. Pittsburgh has elements of it, but again, that wouldn't be a defining characteristic or identifier of Pittsburgh. And come on, Erie, Williamsport, Scranton, Johnstown, surrounding areas? It would be a huge stretch to call any of those areas M/A...

Maybe I'm a bit of a curmudgeon lol. There was the Mid-Atlantic when there was only 13 Colonies, and there is the Mid-Atlantic in a larger, much more diverse country today. Most of what was historically considered the M/A, should not (and in my experience, isn't) considered the M/A today...

To the OP, Pennsylvania is probably my favorite state, period. I love everything about PA, what an awesome place. Every other state in the Mid-Atlantic comes after!
I tried posting in my latest post but, this is how CNN portrayed the mid Atlantic on election night.
Attached Thumbnails
Rank the Mid-Atlantic states in the order you'd want to live-image.jpeg  

Last edited by the resident09; 12-05-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.