Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region has the best climate?
West 91 54.49%
Midwest 28 16.77%
South 26 15.57%
Northeast 22 13.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And you know what? I enjoy laughing to; it is good for the heart and soul, and eases the stress acquired from a busy day. This whole discussion was quite funny. But do you know what the funniest part was? It was your inability to grasp the simple concepts being put forth due to having your grey-tinted glasses on so tight.
Well then, for the sake of humor, humor me this... since it's obviously not me, who else in your expert opinion is "grasping" these "simple concepts" you're "putting forth"? I have yet to see a single person in this thread actually agreeing with your outlandish concepts. Perhaps the whole world is wearing these "grey-tinted glasses" you keep waffling on about, and you are the only truly enlightened one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
SF Bay Area

Grew up there, moved to WA and TN, and Mexico, been to Canada for lengthy stays.

The SF Bay Area weather is perfect, IMO.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:35 PM

98 posts, read 163,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
IMO SoCal is rather dry and arid looking. It just doesn't cut it. There's barely any native green grass, no dense deciduous forests, etc. That's why many new suburban developments have to plant all sorts of green trees and fake lawns in order to make everything look like the east coast as much as possible. I mean, it's a beautiful place, but I don't think I'd be too happy with the brown/drab appearance for the long term. I'd be CLAMORING for true greenery. Granted, the east coast looks like crap for half of the year, with nothing but leafless trees. But it's worth waiting for the summer.

IMO, the best possible season/climate/scenery period in the U.S would be upstate NY in the summer. 80's, sunny and dry with full greenery and some mountains. No need for AC ever. Hawaii sounds good too though.
Kind of on the fence but agree with this. i live in socal right now, live about 5-6 miles from the beach. Its nice and all as ive only been here for awhile, but as soon as you drive say 20-30 miles inland from the coast everything is brown and hills and dirt. For example, i live in oceanside where its mainly green, but most of socal is not like this at all. ive lived here for 3 months, maybe rained twice total. im from upstate ny which is cold and snows a lot but green. San Diego is nice, im still unsure if this will be my last move. I'm on the fence between liking the stable weather and the beach climate and disliking the "brownness" of california, but i also enjoy cold weather and rain but dislike the snow. any suggestions lol?

I could see myself living in the pacnorwest like seattle or around there, i would like the greenery and cooler, overcast days. i guess i don't know where i want to live %100 for sure yet lol.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:42 PM

10 posts, read 11,502 times
NOT northeast TEXAS. IT SUCKS. Hot as HELL three months of the year, with horrible humidity, hot/warm for another few months before and after summer, and maybe two months of cold. I can count on two hands the number of "glorious" (70's, sunny, breezy, comfortable) days we have here. The country's Jetstream dives straight down into it and brings monster thunderstorms with huge drops in pressure. Very Few days of just "nice" rainfalls here and there. I can't wait to get the hell out and go to the PNW.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat105 View Post
NOT northeast TEXAS. IT SUCKS. Hot as HELL three months of the year, with horrible humidity, hot/warm for another few months before and after summer, and maybe two months of cold. I can count on two hands the number of "glorious" (70's, sunny, breezy, comfortable) days we have here. The country's Jetstream dives straight down into it and brings monster thunderstorms with huge drops in pressure. Very Few days of just "nice" rainfalls here and there. I can't wait to get the hell out and go to the PNW.
I hated the Texas heat and humidity when I lived there. I love Texans thou they are super friendly I loved living in San Antonio but the weather wore me out in the summer, spring and fall. I don't think I would ever move back to Texas thou.. I can't handle that climate.. I like it cold and dry like California.. especially San Diego. SD has the best climate. I like the PW climate but it rains a lot and it does get cold in the winter. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well then, for the sake of humor, humor me this... since it's obviously not me, who else in your expert opinion is "grasping" these "simple concepts" you're "putting forth"? I have yet to see a single person in this thread actually agreeing with your outlandish concepts. Perhaps the whole world is wearing these "grey-tinted glasses" you keep waffling on about, and you are the only truly enlightened one?
Who is grasping the concepts being put forth, you ask? Well, pretty much everyone who has even the slightest modicum of knowledge on what a good climate actually is.

And if you look at the poll, you'll see that there are 17 people who agree with me that the South is the region with the best climate in the US. That is a good amount of people who see the South for the Eden it actually is.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Who is grasping the concepts being put forth, you ask? Well, pretty much everyone who has even the slightest modicum of knowledge on what a good climate actually is.

And if you look at the poll, you'll see that there are 17 people who agree with me that the South is the region with the best climate in the US. That is a good amount of people who see the South for the Eden it actually is.
The South includes more than just the hot, humid coastal areas you and I have been "discussing" though. It also includes a fairly large portion of the Appalachian Mountains, from Northern Georgia to Western Maryland. Very different climate than coastal Southeast Texas or Florida. Then there's the Ozarks in Arkansas, the Texas hill country, and the West Texas deserts... all a part of the South.

Just because a few people voted for the South in this poll still doesn't add up to anybody actually agreeing with you that the Gulf coast region of the South is a "Subtropical Paradise", or "Eden" as you so dramatically put it. Nor do I see a single person in this thread who agrees with your idea that you don't need a/c in the summer in the coastal South or heat in the winter. I do, however, see a few posts here where people (other than myself) are disagreeing with you.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The South includes more than just the hot, humid coastal areas you and I have been "discussing" though. It also includes a fairly large portion of the Appalachian Mountains, from Northern Georgia to Western Maryland. Very different climate than coastal Southeast Texas or Florida. Then there's the Ozarks in Arkansas, the Texas hill country, and the West Texas deserts... all a part of the South.
Obviously.........

Quote:
Just because a few people voted for the South in this poll still doesn't add up to anybody actually agreeing with you that the Gulf coast region of the South is a "Subtropical Paradise", or "Eden" as you so dramatically put it. Nor do I see a single person in this thread who agrees with your idea that you don't need a/c in the summer in the coastal South or heat in the winter. I do, however, see a few posts here where people (other than myself) are disagreeing with you.
I said that those people who voted for the South agree with me only on the terms that it is the region that has the areas with the best climate. It is such areas that can indeed be considered to be the personal "Edens" of those people. The area could be the Appalachians, or it could indeed be the Gulf Coast. They may not agree with me every single one of my points, but like I said, they agree with me that the South is the region with the most appealing climate.

As for the necessity of A/C or Heat in the South, I will say it again; If people the world over in similar climates can live without A/C or Heat, then so can people in the US Coastal South. You do not need A/C or Heat to live in the Coastal South, unless you are just an Energy Hog.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
As for the necessity of A/C or Heat in the South, I will say it again; If people the world over in similar climates can live without A/C or Heat, then so can people in the US Coastal South. You do not need A/C or Heat to live in the Coastal South, unless you are just an Energy Hog.
Since you are quite literally the ONLY person I have ever seen in these forums make the claim that you don't need air conditioning to live comfortably on the Gulf Coast, then I'm just going to ask you these simple questions:

Do you live on the Gulf Coast? And if you do, do you not have, or not use A/C in the summer? I'm not just talking about in your home, but in your car and at your job as well? In other words, do you walk your talk? If you have answered yes (honestly) to both questions, then maybe I can lend a little bit of credence to your argument. Otherwise, every argument you have made about this is irrelevant.

Of course, you can always just lie and say "yes", and none of us will have any way to prove you wrong, since we're all just strangers on an internet forum.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 09-02-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Since you are quite literally the ONLY person I have ever seen in these forums make the claim that you don't need air conditioning to live comfortably on the Gulf Coast, then I'm just going to ask you these simple questions:

Do you live on the Gulf Coast? And if you do, do you not have, or not use A/C in the summer? I'm not just talking about in your home, but in your car and at your job as well? In other words, do you walk your talk? If you have answered yes (honestly) to both questions, then maybe I can lend a little bit of credence to your argument. Otherwise, every argument you have made about this is irrelevant.

Of course, you can always just lie and say "yes", and none of us will have any way to prove you wrong, since we're all just strangers on an internet forum.
While I am not currently living on the Gulf Coast, I have lived their for some time, and in that time, I did not use any A/C in the summer, in neither my bungalow, nor my car, as breezes, clouds, thunderstorms, and thick subtropical tree cover helped to alleviate any discomfort, all captured with the specific arrangement of my bungalow. And with such mild winter days, where temps were commonly 60F or above for highs, Heat was never necessary, only a sweater and hoody for the occasional chilly nights. The same goes for Northern India, China, and Durban(in eastern South Africa), all of which were locations I resided in that have the same subtropical climate as the US Coastal South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.