Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What exactly is it about claiming that Baltimore isn't very high in White ethnics that makes it sound like a bumpkin town???
Seems high to me. I see ethnic neighborhoods in and outside the city. I live in an ethnic neighborhood currently. Those "claims" don't coincide with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Seems high to me. I see ethnic neighborhoods in and outside the city. I live in an ethnic neighborhood currently. Those "claims" don't coincide with reality.
Nobody is discounting the presence of ethnic neighborhoods. People are just stating facts.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:46 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times
"High" is relative. It's high for a large southern metro but low for a large northeastern metro. It's more or less in between Richmond and Philadelphia.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:02 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Nobody is discounting the presence of ethnic neighborhoods. People are just stating facts.
I am too.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:37 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
I have seen it written here by many people that certain ethnic groups give a city/state a more "Southern" or "Northeastern" feel. Like when people say that the presence of Polish and Italians makes a place more Northeastern, or when a place has a large Black population that it's more Southern.

But do these ethnic groups necessarily make that difference? I know the Northeast has many Italians. But here in the Chicagoland area, we do too. We don't think it makes us more like Jersey or NY. We even have the largest metro Polish population of any state (Polish is the 3rd largest language only in Illinois and no other state). I don't think that makes us Northeastern. We also have a large Black population, and depending on what source you look at, Blacks are the largest ethnic group in our city. Nobody here says that makes us more Southern.

So, where do these ideas come from? For example, would Italians living in the South make a city less Southern, then? Or Mexicans living in the Northeast make it less Northeastern? I really don't think that certain ethnic groups have a monopoly on regions, and that being of a certain ethnic group makes you less from your region. I've met some Indians (Desi) from the South are sometimes more Southern than even the Scotch-Irish living there. I just don't know how being of a certain ethnic group makes you more tied to one region, unless you live or have family there.
Actually, I personally think of Polish-american ( and Czech) as being much more characteristic of the great lakea citiea more than the east coast.

If you look at the data, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo all have higher % of Polish americans fhan east coast cities. (think cities that were heavy with the steel mills. Watch the movie Polish Wedding. Its set in Hamtramck, Mi. An enclave in Detroit that was one of the largest Polish communities outsidw chicago until recently.

German is I think the ancestry associated with tge midwest.

Actually i think of midwest and east coast citiea stereotypically at least as being culturally working class white catholic (Irish, Italian, Polish, Czech,etc. WASP and Jewish in upscale suburbs, large disadvataged, troubled afri an american bla k areaa, with middle class pockets. With smaller enclaves of hislanic, asian, and middle eastern culture

Contrast that with California that has a much larger and more diverse Asain communities, mexican culture everywhere. and white population that is less "ethnic" but rather moved from other parts of th US a generation or two ago.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
If a certain ethnic group has been migrating to a certain region for decades upon decades, then that ethnic group starts taking on the characteristics of the region they live in, and create a hybrid culture. Like NY Italians and NY Puerto Ricans(Nuyoricans). If a certain amount of Nuyoricans start moving to a particular Southern city, then that Southern city will not only take on the characteristics of Puerto Rican culture, it'll take on characteristics of New York and the Northeast in general. Same applies with Mexican Americans in the Southwest and California. I've seen vids of NYC neighborhoods like Brooklyns Sunset park, with lowrider car displays; pretty much making Sunset Park mimic Chicano neighborhoods on the West Coast. This is reflects the demographic shift of Mexicans migration to NYC.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM

342 posts, read 510,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Pikesville, MD, which is borders Baltimore City, has the highest Russian population percentage in the country. Surprisingly.
Shhh... don't let the information get out. BajanYankee and Eddie olSkool will find a state online that says the Pikesville isn't really Russian. they will compare it Columbia, SC....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's total ancestry reported. That's not reliable since it's susceptible to double counting (a person who claims one part Irish and one part Italian is not two distinct persons).

Using first ancestry reported ensures mutual exclusivity. We know that each person is distinct because you can't report three different ancestries as a first ancestry.
The sad part abut sitting online is that you fail to see the reality of these places. Anyone who who goes to pikesville knows the Russians. For some reason you have a vendetta against Maryland and want to downplay any presence of ethnic whites. There are a ***load of ethnic whites in MD. Your stats you pul offline are flawed as often as they are accurate.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:32 PM

342 posts, read 510,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
"High" is relative. It's high for a large southern metro but low for a large northeastern metro. It's more or less in between Richmond and Philadelphia.
With all other characteristics putting it the north. Where in the south do people eat sauerkraut on thanksgiving? Is a real Oktoberfest in Asheville,NC? Didnt think so. Why is the Baltimore dialect grouped with Philladelphia and South Jersey? Why is it that in evey map dealing with cullture and religion there is a sharp differecnce between the MD and Virginia border. YOU CANT DENY THAT! I feel like I am losing brain cells arguing with you on this merry go round. Any objective person would find MD full off white Ethnics. Not NYC levels, but way more than the average US state.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
With all other characteristics putting it the north. Where in the south do people eat sauerkraut on thanksgiving? Is a real Oktoberfest in Asheville,NC? Didnt think so. Why is the Baltimore dialect grouped with Philladelphia and South Jersey? Why is it that in evey map dealing with cullture and religion there is a sharp differecnce between the MD and Virginia border. YOU CANT DENY THAT! I feel like I am losing brain cells arguing with you on this merry go round. Any objective person would find MD full off white Ethnics. Not NYC levels, but way more than the average US state.
Wait, you appeal to GERMANS as making Maryland Northeastern and not Southern? Buddy, you might as well be placing it in the Midwest now. Oktoberfest? You seem to be describing your average Midwestern state.

Northeastern states have some of the lower concentrations of Germans out of all the US. Only Pennsylvania has a high concentration, making it the exception. It has Midwest level German percentages. But, that makes it the exception of the NE. States like NY, CT, NH, ME, VT, MA all have much lower concentrations of them. So Germans are not a NE ethnicity if you really want to appeal to them as making MD Northeastern. The states with most Germans without fail are ALWAYS Midwestern.

Also, people keep going back to this idea that Baltimore's dialect is somehow NE because it shares similarities to Philly and South Jersey. Ok, if language families didn't cross borders, it would make sense to make it "Northeastern". Except linguistic borders are not necessarily tied to Census regions. Buffalo, NY is of the Inland North American dialect just like Chicago is. Is Upstate NY now the Midwest? Please. You have not considered the fact that Philly has Southern aspects to its own dialect, such as the use of "wooder" for water. This pronunciation can also be found in VA and places like Louisiana (watch Duck Dynasty and hear how Phil Robertson says the word "wooder"). Or how "curry" is a pronunciation for carry in MD, it can also be heard in many parts of the South. "Warsh" for wash is heard in Appalachian states like WV. Other MD pronunciations carryover to the South as well. I agree that MD and Philly share some linguistic similarities, but so do Buffalo and Chicago, and no one will use that as an argument to claim Buffalo is in the Midwest. Buffalo is probably 70 miles further East than Pittsburgh!

Similarly, places like Southern Illinois (Midwest) share linguistic similarities with areas like Kentucky and Tennessee. Illinois is still the Midwest and KY and TN are still Southern.

You also seem to conveniently leave out the Tidewater accent found in MD. Is this because this undeniably Southern dialect shows that the Potomac River isn't the neat dividing line you want it to be between the NE and the South?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidewater_accent

Quote:
The Tidewater accent, also known as Tidewater English, Tidewater Dialect or the Chesapeake Accent, is a specific dialect of Southern American English. While the dialect is said to have roots up and down the eastern seaboard, it is primarily concentrated in the southeastern part of Virginia, otherwise known as the Tidewater Region. This region consists of the Hampton Roads, parts of the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and parts of the eastern shore of Virginia, Maryland, and Southern Delaware and also on the Western shore in remote peninsular areas of Southern Maryland in St. Mary's County, Maryland [1] and Calvert County, Maryland.[2]
Oh wait, it shows that Southern dialects indeed DO exist in MD, and linguistic features heard in Southern accents are heard as far north as Philly.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 10-09-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 01:56 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Actually, I personally think of Polish-american ( and Czech) as being much more characteristic of the great lakea citiea more than the east coast.

If you look at the data, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo all have higher % of Polish americans fhan east coast cities. (think cities that were heavy with the steel mills. Watch the movie Polish Wedding. Its set in Hamtramck, Mi. An enclave in Detroit that was one of the largest Polish communities outsidw chicago until recently.

German is I think the ancestry associated with tge midwest.

Actually i think of midwest and east coast citiea stereotypically at least as being culturally working class white catholic (Irish, Italian, Polish, Czech,etc. WASP and Jewish in upscale suburbs, large disadvataged, troubled afri an american bla k areaa, with middle class pockets. With smaller enclaves of hislanic, asian, and middle eastern culture

Contrast that with California that has a much larger and more diverse Asain communities, mexican culture everywhere. and white population that is less "ethnic" but rather moved from other parts of th US a generation or two ago.
Just a note: Proof once again, that typing on your phone is no replacement for an actual keyboard. But maybe I'm just old-skool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.