Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Baltimore, Towson Metro Area Population and Races - USA.com™
American FactFinder - Search
2 sources right there. You have to do some of the arithmetic yourself but it all adds up.
You can't get mad at Bajan because he simply stating the facts. The numbers don't lie.
Yeah, I'm not going to keep posting ish over and over and over again because some troll says I need to. I've posted those stats at least two dozen times already and it's largely been a collaborative effort with other C-D posters.

Your source is actually giving numbers for "Total Ancestry Reported" even though it says "First Ancestry Reported" on the top.

One way to get a rough approximation of the White ethnic population is by looking at the numbers of Catholics in the Archdiocese. In Baltimore's case, the Archdiocese basically matches up with its MSA counties, and it's overall 16% Catholic. Philadelphia, on the other hand, is 38% Catholic. That gives us some idea that the Census figures are in the ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
That is alot of white ethnics. Do we really need to make this isnto a Baltimore thread again? You'll get the thread closed again like you tend to do. Fro some reason you think Baltimore is some podunk town with no white ethnics. The metro area resembles other cities in the northeast, period. I know you really want it to be Pensacola, Florida, but its not.
That guy, and a few other seem to have a vendetta against Baltimore. They'll post the same stats, same old quotes from the same old people from decades ago... It's the same old song.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Eddie, you don't know anything about Baltimore. That is why you are in the Baltimore forum trying to get information about the city. The Greeks are a celebrated part of Baltimore history, whether you want to recognize it or not. I don't know why you keep making such statements when you live in Chicago and lack a basic grasp on what Baltimore is like.
First off, the personal attacks only make you look like you can't have an actual discussion. This has nothing to do with my personal experience with Baltimore. The internet is amazing. It makes anyone have access to facts instead of mere opinions. The other day someone in another forum schooled me on something about my own hometown I wasn't even aware of, and this person wasn't even from Chicago or even visited. Does this make their facts less valuable? I post facts, you just resort to attacks. BajanYankee knows Baltimore personally, and he doesn't think it's significantly Greek enough. What do you make of that?

You have your own opinions, I have data. In fact I am not the only one here posting data, you just refuse to believe it because it "feels wrong" to you.

Quote:
And African Americans are subsaharan African are you kidding me? Where do you think their ancestry is from? Asia? Europe? This is a fool's game. They are subsaharan African the same way a guy who's ancestors came on the mayflower is a white caucasian European. I actually feel dumber after reading your post.
This is where it gets difficult. In Chicago, sub-Saharan African isn't even listed as an ancestry. So does that mean we have NO Blacks here? City Data doesn't seem to think so.

Look at city data's stats on Columbus, OH RACE stats:

• White alone - 474,087 (58.5%)
  • Black alone - 222,644 (27.5%)
  • Hispanic - 44,378 (5.5%)
  • Asian alone - 35,043 (4.3%)
  • Two or more races - 27,728 (3.4%)
  • Other race alone - 4,452 (0.5%)
  • American Indian alone - 1,288 (0.2%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 270 (0.03%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...#ixzz3FZnfOc2X

But then you look at their ancestry statistics and then it only says 4.6% sub-Saharan African in the same page! B-b-but how can this be???

Ancestries: German (17.9%), Irish (10.6%), English (6.1%), Subsaharan African (4.6%), United States (4.0%), Italian (3.7%).
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...#ixzz3FZnvIC7U

It's ALL in the same page. What does this mean? That city data made a flub? No, it means that you can't tell the difference between an ancestry group and a Census designated race. All Blacks are from sub-Saharan Africa, but it doesn't mean they identify with that ancestry. Probably had to do with the fact that many Blacks in the US have no idea where in Africa their ancestors came. The reason sub-Saharan African is listed as an ancestry group is because there are enough recent African immigrants to Columbus to be quantified as a significant ancestry group of the city. Is this starting to make sense to you?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
First off, the personal attacks only make you look like you can't have an actual discussion. This has nothing to do with my personal experience with Baltimore. The internet is amazing. It makes anyone have access to facts instead of mere opinions. The other day someone in another forum schooled me on something about my own hometown I wasn't even aware of, and this person wasn't even from Chicago or even visited. Does this make their facts less valuable? I post facts, you just resort to attacks. BajanYankee knows Baltimore personally, and he doesn't think it's significantly Greek enough. What do you make of that?

You have your own opinions, I have data. In fact I am not the only one here posting data, you just refuse to believe it because it "feels wrong" to you.

This is where it gets difficult. In Chicago, sub-Saharan African isn't even listed as an ancestry. So does that mean we have NO Blacks here? City Data doesn't seem to think so.

Look at city data's stats on Columbus, OH RACE stats:

• White alone - 474,087 (58.5%)
  • Black alone - 222,644 (27.5%)
  • Hispanic - 44,378 (5.5%)
  • Asian alone - 35,043 (4.3%)
  • Two or more races - 27,728 (3.4%)
  • Other race alone - 4,452 (0.5%)
  • American Indian alone - 1,288 (0.2%)
  • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 270 (0.03%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...#ixzz3FZnfOc2X

But then you look at their ancestry statistics and then it only says 4.6% sub-Saharan African in the same page! B-b-but how can this be???

Ancestries: German (17.9%), Irish (10.6%), English (6.1%), Subsaharan African (4.6%), United States (4.0%), Italian (3.7%).
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Columb...#ixzz3FZnvIC7U

It's ALL in the same page. What does this mean? That city data made a flub? No, it means that you can't tell the difference between an ancestry group and a Census designated race. All Blacks are from sub-Saharan Africa, but it doesn't mean they identify with that ancestry. Probably had to do with the fact that many Blacks in the US have no idea where in Africa their ancestors came. The reason sub-Saharan African is listed as an ancestry group is because there are enough recent African immigrants to Columbus to be quantified as a significant ancestry group of the city. Is this starting to make sense to you?
He knows Baltimore personally? Has he lived here?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:32 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That guy, and a few other seem to have a vendetta against Baltimore. They'll post the same stats, same old quotes from the same old people from decades ago... It's the same old song.
Its the same handful who have some deep seated need to paint Baltimore as some hillbilly town out in the boondocks. These guys have never even been to or lived in the area. Being in Baltimore is a whole lot different from pulling up internet stats in their grandma's basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
BajanYankee knows Baltimore personally, and he doesn't think it's significantly Greek enough. What do you make of that?
No he doesn't and neither do you. Bajan Yankee as already admitted, has never lived in the area. He only knows Baltimore through whatever stats he can find on Wikipedia and Youtube videos. Notice that the ones who dont know Baltimore personally are the ones making ignorant assertions and trying to make it look like a bumpkin town.

Last edited by hobbesdj; 10-08-2014 at 12:40 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Its the same handful who have some deep seated need to paint Baltimore as some hillbilly town out in the boondocks.
Who is trying to make Baltimore look like "some hillbilly town out in the boondocks." I've pointed out that it has an undeniably southern heritage (which I never even mentioned in this thread since we're talking about demographics), but why is that such a bad thing?

I'm ready to talk about Asians on the West Coast, Poles in the Midwest, Latinos in the Southwest, etc. anytime you guys are.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-08-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 01:32 PM

Pikesville, MD, which is borders Baltimore City, has the highest Russian population percentage in the country. Surprisingly.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's called the Census Bureau website. They just don't lay the info out for you. You have to create datasets.

I'd rather talk about the demographic profile of the Midwest or the West Coast. But you made a claim and I provided the evidence to refute it. Demographically, Baltimore is not closer to Boston/NYC/Philly than it is to Richmond, DC or Norfolk. I don't see why people keep making this claim when the data is right there in plain sight.

White ethnics in Baltimore get more discussion on C-D than the Black people in Baltimore do. Yet Blacks outnumber Germans, Irish, Italian, Greeks, Russians and Poles in the metro area combined.
German & Irish alone 886,000
Blacks 779,000

Old 10-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
German & Irish alone 886,000
Blacks 779,000
That's total ancestry reported. That's not reliable since it's susceptible to double counting (a person who claims one part Irish and one part Italian is not two distinct persons).

Using first ancestry reported ensures mutual exclusivity. We know that each person is distinct because you can't report three different ancestries as a first ancestry.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
What exactly is it about claiming that Baltimore isn't very high in White ethnics that makes it sound like a bumpkin town???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.