Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 AM

342 posts, read 511,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
First off, you need to understand that the mere presence of businesses in a certain place don't mean that there is a large ethnic population, but an enclave. For example, in Chicago there is a small area where you see lots of East African restaurants. Ethiopian, Eritrean, and the like. However, as a whole our East African population is very small. If you have issue with these statistics that are objective, rather than your opinion which is subjective, then refute the data.

Secondly, do you know what sub-Saharan African ancestry actually even means? It doesn't mean the same thing as African-American. It means that in Columbus there are 4.6% of people that can trace their roots to actual nations in sub-Saharan Africa AKA recent African immigrants, NOT African-Americans whose ancestors have been here for hundreds of years.
Eddie, you don't know anything about Baltimore. That is why you are in the Baltimore forum trying to get information about the city. The Greeks are a celebrated part of Baltimore history, whether you want to recognize it or not. I don't know why you keep making such statements when you live in Chicago and lack a basic grasp on what Baltimore is like. And African Americans are subsaharan African are you kidding me? Where do you think their ancestry is from? Asia? Europe? This is a fool's game. They are subsaharan African the same way a guy who's ancestors came on the mayflower is a white caucasian European. I actually feel dumber after reading your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Where does this idea come from that the Baltimore metro doesn't have a similar percentage/number of White ethnics as other cities because of White Flight? How do you think so many Italians wound up in Jersey?

The numbers down there have always been lower.

Boston - 36.45% of MSA (49.38% of NHW population)
New York - 32.26% of MSA (66.94% of NHW population)
Philadelphia - 33.03% of MSA (51.26% of NHW population)
Baltimore - 19.98% of MSA (33.78% of NHW population)
Washington - 14.25% of MSA (30.42% of NHW population)
That is alot of white ethnics. Do we really need to make this isnto a Baltimore thread again? You'll get the thread closed again like you tend to do. Fro some reason you think Baltimore is some podunk town with no white ethnics. The metro area resembles other cities in the northeast, period. I know you really want it to be Pensacola, Florida, but its not.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:12 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
The Baltimore metro has more Filipinos than it does Greeks. And Baltimore isn't known at all for its Asian population.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
That is alot of white ethnics. Do we really need to make this isnto a Baltimore thread again? You'll get the thread closed again like you tend to do. Fro some reason you think Baltimore is some podunk town with no white ethnics. The metro area resembles other cities in the northeast, period. I know you really want it to be Pensacola, Florida, but its not.
Only it doesn't. Norfolk is around 12-13%. In what universe is 19.98 closer to 33.03 than it is to 12 or 13?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Only it doesn't. Norfolk is around 12-13%. In what universe is 19.98 closer to 33.03 than it is to 12 or 13?
Wow, one southern city in the far north of the south is slightly closer to Baltimore than Philadelphia. What about all the others? Where are you getting your stats from?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Wow, one southern city in the far north of the south is slightly closer to Baltimore than Philadelphia. What about all the others? Where are you getting your stats from?
Atlanta and Richmond are about the same. Deep South cities are lower than those two. But then again, some cities higher up north are higher than Philly and NYC (at least in terms of the composition of the MSA as a whole).

Boston - 36.45% of MSA (49.38% of NHW population)
New York - 32.26% of MSA (66.94% of NHW population)
Philadelphia - 33.03% of MSA (51.26% of NHW population)
Baltimore - 19.98% of MSA (33.78% of NHW population)
Washington - 14.25% of MSA (30.42% of NHW population)
Hampton Roads - 13.25% of MSA (23.16% of non-Hispanic Whites)
Richmond - 12.07% of MSA (20.07% of non-Hispanic Whites)

Baltimore's non-White Hispanic demographic profile bears a closer resemblance to that of a large Midwestern city than a large Northeastern city (its Black % is in line with Southern cities). DC is clearly closer to southern cities.

Stats come from the Census.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 10-08-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Atlanta and Richmond are about the same. Deep South cities are lower than those two. But then again, some cities higher up north are higher than Philly and NYC (at least in terms of the composition of the MSA as a whole).

Baltimore's non-White Hispanic demographic profile bears a closer resemblance to that of a large Midwestern city than a large Northeastern city (its Black % is in line with Southern cities). DC is clearly closer to southern cities.

Stats come from the Census.
You should post the link to your stats! Can you do that? On another note, Why are you so obsessed with Baltimore and DC? I am looking at your post history (that is a heck of alot of posts btw) and probably 3/5 are about DC or Baltimore and you trying to convince someone they are southern cities. Wow, during that time you could've learned an instrument, found a job, met a girlfriend, worked out and got really strong, read countless books, practiced basketball, become a professional rapper....but instead you are trying to convince people online things about DC, Baltimore and Maryland. Do you feel that you've made any progress after 15,000 posts? It seems that in all the polls I've ever seen people still consider these places northern by a wide margin.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
You should post the link to your stats! Can you do that?
It's called the Census Bureau website. They just don't lay the info out for you. You have to create datasets.

Quote:
On another note, Why are you so obsessed with Baltimore and DC?
I'd rather talk about the demographic profile of the Midwest or the West Coast. But you made a claim and I provided the evidence to refute it. Demographically, Baltimore is not closer to Boston/NYC/Philly than it is to Richmond, DC or Norfolk. I don't see why people keep making this claim when the data is right there in plain sight.

White ethnics in Baltimore get more discussion on C-D than the Black people in Baltimore do. Yet Blacks outnumber Germans, Irish, Italian, Greeks, Russians and Poles in the metro area combined.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
It's called the Census Bureau website. They just don't lay the info out for you. You have to create datasets.

I'd rather talk about the demographic profile of the Midwest or the West Coast. But you made a claim and I provided the evidence to refute it. Demographically, Baltimore is not closer to Boston/NYC/Philly than it is to Richmond, DC or Norfolk. I don't see why people keep making this claim when the data is right there in plain sight.

White ethnics in Baltimore get more discussion on C-D than the Black people in Baltimore do. Yet Blacks outnumber Germans, Irish, Italian, Greeks, Russians and Poles in the metro area combined.
I am skeptical about your numbers. I don't understand why you can't post a link at least to the site you are calculating your data sets on. Can you actually prove these numbers are correct. What constitutes and "ethnic" white for example? I have no idea how you are calculating your numbers. You are just posting random percentages, and to be quite honest, your agenda based off of your extensive posting history (we all have an agenda) is clearly to make Baltimore look as non-northeastern as possible. So I don't find your numbers credible unless you can point to some source and offer a link to your numbers. I addition explaining which groups are being counted as "ethnic". Before white flight Baltimore was only 20% black and mostly white ethnics like other northeastern cities. Look it up. But you are the one sweeping blacks to the side. I don't understand that since I (think) you are a black immigrant yourself. Even if we look at blacks in Baltimore, most come from the second great migration (they come from the south) and even as a Canadian living here I can tell the difference between the original blacks who sound and act more northern like Philadelphia and the southern blacks that flooded Baltimore to become the majority. Just a completely different attitude and demeanor.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
I am skeptical about your numbers. I don't understand why you can't post a link at least to the site you are calculating your data sets on. Can you actually prove these numbers are correct. What constitutes and "ethnic" white for example? I have no idea how you are calculating your numbers. You are just posting random percentages, and to be quite honest, your agenda based off of your extensive posting history (we all have an agenda) is clearly to make Baltimore look as non-northeastern as possible. So I don't find your numbers credible unless you can point to some source and offer a link to your numbers. I addition explaining which groups are being counted as "ethnic". Before white flight Baltimore was only 20% black and mostly white ethnics like other northeastern cities. Look it up. But you are the one sweeping blacks to the side. I don't understand that since I (think) you are a black immigrant yourself. Even if we look at blacks in Baltimore, most come from the second great migration (they come from the south) and even as a Canadian living here I can tell the difference between the original blacks who sound and act more northern like Philadelphia and the southern blacks that flooded Baltimore to become the majority. Just a completely different attitude and demeanor.
Baltimore, Towson Metro Area Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
American FactFinder - Search
2 sources right there. You have to do some of the arithmetic yourself but it all adds up.
You can't get mad at Bajan because he simply stating the facts. The numbers don't lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.