U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,628 posts, read 3,976,577 times
Reputation: 6623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
do you think the mid west is dying out, and do you think the population will gravitate towards the east and west coasts? or will chicago soak up all of it's population? or will it remain steady
If they move it seems like most of them are headed to: the West Coast, Arizona (Phoenix), or Colorado (Denver)...a few move to Florida, but that is mostly a northeast thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Raccoon City
814 posts, read 1,072,655 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
?? This all happened in the 70's and 80's and that's when those conversations were had. Heavy manufacturing left most of the midwest decades ago, most Midwestern states actually have FEWER % of jobs in manufacturing than the nation as a whole except or a few key areas like Detroit, Flint, etc.

Hence most of the Midwest has unemployment at the national average or below with the exceptions of a few states. Illinois has finally started to nosedive in unemployment the past year or so, dropping more than any other state, with Chicago's metro rate down to 6.0% now, well below the state as a whole (which just says how bad downstate is doing):

National: 5.9%

Michigan: 7.2%
Illinois: 6.6%
Indiana: 5.6%
Ohio: 5.5%
Wisconsin: 5.5%
Iowa: 4.6%
Minnesota: 4.1%
Nebraska: 3.6%
South Dakota: 3.4%
North Dakota: 2.8%
Kansas 4.9%

Chicago's sitting pretty, environmentally speaking. It's not paticularly prone to natural disaster; it is well above sea level, near one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, surrounded by fertile farmland, is centrally located as a transit hub, and is the alpha city in a region with several gamma and beta world cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2014, 06:34 PM
 
Location: IN
20,855 posts, read 35,982,121 times
Reputation: 13304
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Kansas 4.9%

Chicago's sitting pretty, environmentally speaking. It's not paticularly prone to natural disaster; it is well above sea level, near one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world, surrounded by fertile farmland, is centrally located as a transit hub, and is the alpha city in a region with several gamma and beta world cities.
Kansas is not grouped with the Midwest for BLS rating purposes. It is grouped in the Mountain/Plains region that includes Missouri, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,077 posts, read 5,454,707 times
Reputation: 4333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Exactly. You are the one who wasn't paying any attention. Go back and re-read some of the above explanations and actually learn something instead of regurgitating the same tired know-it-all crap we always get from you.

International Falls MN averages 16 degrees colder in January and 10 degrees colder in February in terms of average lows during the coldest part of winter vs Houghton MI.

For comparison, that is the difference between Jan/Feb average lows in Atlanta vs. Chicago as well.

Understood?
Keep fighting the good fight, cheese plate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:11 PM
 
1,640 posts, read 2,051,521 times
Reputation: 2543
The Midwest isn't really a "destination" region, so to speak. People don't really live there because they *WANT* to; they live there because they *HAVE* to. That's why most of the people you meet in Midwestern cities (i.e., Chicago, Minneapolis, et al.) are either natives or from a different part of the Midwest--not many transplants in those cities from outside of the Midwest and understandably so. The Midwest is the coldest collective region of the US with, IMO, the least inspiring scenery. The economies of many Midwestern cities, both large and small, are very mature and population growth, nil. Not very diverse in many areas, either, so it's kind of a "white-bread" culture, which can sometimes breed insular attitudes and perceptions.

I think that adjusting to the culture of the Midwest in particular would be difficult for someone from a different region of the US. Although Midwesterners tend to be polite, they are, for the most part, reserved and exclusive, probably because the region doesn't really receive very many tourists, transplants, or outsiders in general compared to other regions, especially the South and West. Also, people in the Midwest don't seem to move around all that much, so most are members of a close-knit social group, usually composed of friends from high school/college, and don't really need other friends (i.e., newcomers). Parts of the Northeast such as the area where I grew up (RI) are similar in this regard, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM
 
11,177 posts, read 22,391,357 times
Reputation: 10924
^^ omg, boo hoo!! What's the closest you've ever been to the region for more than a weekend at most? lol I absolutely love the "midesterners don't live there because they want to, but because they HAVE to".

The 65,000,000 of them are far too stupid to possibly walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities (StP)
3,017 posts, read 1,873,358 times
Reputation: 2342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^^ omg, boo hoo!! What's the closest you've ever been to the region for more than a weekend at most? lol I absolutely love the "midesterners don't live there because they want to, but because they HAVE to".

The 65,000,000 of them are far too stupid to possibly walk away.
Those people don't understand how overrated the ocean is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,058,180 times
Reputation: 3925
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
That's why most of the people you meet in Midwestern cities (i.e., Chicago, Minneapolis, et al.) are either natives or from a different part of the Midwest--not many transplants in those cities from outside of the Midwest and understandably so.
This is actually more true of the northeast than it is of the Midwest. But people don't stereotype the northeast the way they do the Midwest. It is a case of perception trumping reality. I know a ton of people in Minneapolis who aren't from the upper Midwest (I'm one of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM
 
378 posts, read 355,366 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
The Midwest isn't really a "destination" region, so to speak. People don't really live there because they *WANT* to; they live there because they *HAVE* to. That's why most of the people you meet in Midwestern cities (i.e., Chicago, Minneapolis, et al.) are either natives or from a different part of the Midwest--not many transplants in those cities from outside of the Midwest and understandably so. The Midwest is the coldest collective region of the US with, IMO, the least inspiring scenery. The economies of many Midwestern cities, both large and small, are very mature and population growth, nil. Not very diverse in many areas, either, so it's kind of a "white-bread" culture, which can sometimes breed insular attitudes and perceptions.

I think that adjusting to the culture of the Midwest in particular would be difficult for someone from a different region of the US. Although Midwesterners tend to be polite, they are, for the most part, reserved and exclusive, probably because the region doesn't really receive very many tourists, transplants, or outsiders in general compared to other regions, especially the South and West. Also, people in the Midwest don't seem to move around all that much, so most are members of a close-knit social group, usually composed of friends from high school/college, and don't really need other friends (i.e., newcomers). Parts of the Northeast such as the area where I grew up (RI) are similar in this regard, too.
^That was the dumbest post ever.^
Lived in Arizona - aside from trips up to the Flagstaff area,I hated it!
Lived in Texas - got old fast.
Lived in Virginia - Nice
Lived in Kansas - Did not like it, but I liked it better than Arizona
I know live in Michigan and I love it all!!!....even Detroit.
.....I have also lived in Chicago and I loved that city too.

I cannot speak for most the other states, but there are a lot of both transplants and tourist from every state as well as from around the world. + 1 for Chicago.

Oh yes, I lived in Germany too and I liked it very much. I currently have 3 friends in the city that I live in that are German expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN
4,925 posts, read 4,921,409 times
Reputation: 4778
The East and West Coasts cost of living is too high.. most Midwest people migrate to the South like Atlanta and parts of Florida if they move and not the East and West Coast. NY, Boston, SF, DC and LA are way too expensive to live in unless you are a doctor or lawyer that makes great money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top