Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times

Advertisements

to Latinos:
Yankee = Urban American

to Europeans:
Yankee = Rural American

to Africans:
Yankee = American

to Asians:
Yankee = Player of a New York baseball team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Basically anyone from an area north of Virginia, so yes that includes DC/Maryland. The Potomac River should be the modern Mason-Dixon line, even if the DC suburbs of Northern Virginia aren't too southern anymore. The Potomac was the dividing line between the Confederacy and Union. I think of Yankees being from the northeast. IMO, if you're from Illinois, Wisconsin, or a state over in that neck of the woods, you're Midwestern. New Jersey is Yankee, Indiana is Midwestern. That might only be my perception, though. I'm from North Carolina on the East Coast, might be different for people on the other side of the South.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:28 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Missouri is yankee too!
Northern parts or are around Stl yes. Southern parts like the ozarks or the mo delta region you've got to be kidding me. We grow more cotton in mo then in Louisiana. Many parts of Louisiana aren't "traditionally" southern either!

Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Northern parts or are around Stl yes. Southern parts like the ozarks or the mo delta region you've got to be kidding me. We grow more cotton in mo then in Louisiana. Many parts of Louisiana aren't "traditionally" southern either!
However, all of Louisiana is 100% within the South, no matter the Cajun/Creole influence in the Southern part of the state (which is really just another variety of Southern culture). The same really can't be said for Missouri. I agree with you completely that Southern MO is very much culturally Southern. I also got that same vibe in the Southern parts of several other Midwestern states (IL, IN, OH). Culture can bleed over into other regions, but it still doesn't change the fact that those states (IL, MO, IN, OH) are still Midwestern states.

It works the other way around as well. There may be a huge Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic sphere of influence in Northern Virginia, but VA is still a Southern state. Texas gets a lot of Southwestern influence in it's Western extremes and is heavily influenced by Mexico... but TX is still a Southern state.

Btw, both California and Arizona grow more cotton than Missouri. Clearly not Southern states.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-16-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 07:23 PM

375 posts, read 800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Yep anyone outside of the south is a yankee. Nebraska is deff Yankee. It's up north that's all that matters.
Is Los Angeles Yankee since it is further south than Memphis and Atlanta

Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM

375 posts, read 800,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Exactly. So I'm quite confused as to why people from Missouri and Nebraska are calling themselves Yankees?
No one in Nebraska or Missouri calls themselves Yankees. Like I said I'm more of a white ethnic (though a rural one) and most Nebraskans are German Czech and Scandinavian. Missouri has too many rebels to be a yankee state. I don't count any of the midwest as Yankee though I could see some saying the states east of the Mississippi could be.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
No one in Nebraska or Missouri calls themselves Yankees. Like I said I'm more of a white ethnic (though a rural one) and most Nebraskans are German Czech and Scandinavian. Missouri has too many rebels to be a yankee state. I don't count any of the midwest as Yankee though I could see some saying the states east of the Mississippi could be.
I was referring to the comments on the first page. Look at it....
It's quite ridiculous....

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
The term is used primarily by Southerners referring to anyone coming from the North (especially the Northeast), or anyone who seems northern in mindset and way of life.

I've heard it used as a descriptive term for people in New England or to Americans as a whole as well, depending on context.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:51 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Is Los Angeles Yankee since it is further south than Memphis and Atlanta
Nobody out West gets caught up in that "Yankee/Rebel" mentality. We don't care about that crap out here. If someone out here does care about it, then it's baggage they dragged here with them from back East.

If people back East want to think of the West Coast as "Yankee", then that's their concern. Not ours.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Anyone from a free state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.