Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:29 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times

Advertisements

How is it that Charlotte and Austin are on the list and Pittsburgh isn't? These lists are so bogus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:45 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
How is it that Charlotte is on the list and Pittsburgh isn't? These lists are so bogus.
To be honest, I think all cities east of Columbus in the North and east of Houston in the South are probably pretty equal in this regard. Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Philly, Pittsburgh, Hartford, Albany, Richmond, Nashville, Baltimore, DC, Boston, Syracuse, Rochester (NY), and Providence all look like they were carved out of a rainforest. It's hard for me to say that any of those cities are any more or less forested than any other.

I think that a lot of statistics about what are the most forested cities have to do more with the amount of suburban area incorporated into the city limits and the number of parks within the city limits. In Baltimore, for instance, there are hardly any trees at all here in the inner city, but there are a lot of suburban neighborhoods on the fringes of the city proper that are shaded under a dark canopy of trees. If those neighborhoods incorporated themselves into separate towns, Baltimore's place in those rankings would surely fall dramatically.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:34 PM

560 posts, read 667,050 times
Atlanta, intown and all of the suburbs. Seattle, especially outside the city proper.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
How is it that Charlotte and Austin are on the list and Pittsburgh isn't? These lists are so bogus.
I agree the Burgh is one of the most Lush Green, Tree Canopied cities in America. It's one of the reason it has such a PNW feeling to it.

Nat Geo Rankings

Old 12-07-2014, 06:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Here're the top five cities based on tree cover percentage, per data collected by the US Forest Service.

1) Atlanta, GA 27%
2) Syracuse, NY 26.6%
3) Seattle, WA 25%
4) Boston, MA 22.3%
5) Baltimore, MD 21%

Despite what the data says, DC has always felt the most lush to me.
From late Spring to mid Autumn, DC definitely feels like a large park full of beautiful green or colorful (in the case of Autumn) foliage and lush landscaping, most especially when the environment compliments the colorful rowhouses and townhouses as well. As a matter of fact, I think I've read up on something stating that DC is equaled to New York City in having the largest amount of parkland in the country (I know the National Mall technically shouldn't count in this comparison but it's not like it's the only green space in The City).

Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
From late Spring to mid Autumn, DC definitely feels like a large park full of beautiful green or colorful (in the case of Autumn) foliage and lush landscaping, most especially when the environment compliments the colorful rowhouses and townhouses as well. As a matter of fact, I think I've read up on something stating that DC is equaled to New York City in having the largest amount of parkland in the country (I know the National Mall technically shouldn't count in this comparison but it's not like it's the only green space in The City).
I love all the ravines that weave through DC. Amazingly beautify, and totally unexpected on my first visit.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Atlanta

Charlotte

Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Than what, Baltimore>>>>??? Certainly not Atlanta. I live in Atlanta and honestly I think we have way too many trees, especially in established older neighborhoods where you have trees that top 200 feet.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I love all the ravines that weave through DC. Amazingly beautify, and totally unexpected on my first visit.
Agreed. Rock Creek Park looks the part when you cross over the 18th Street Bridge too.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 PM

182 posts, read 718,653 times
Pittsburgh didnt have much except for one neighborhood i found https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pitts...80.36,,0,-0.38
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.