Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C. just got our first Walmarts this year. They are the first urban walmarts in the country. I don't shop at walmart, but if they're coming to urban cities, they need to be built urban.

Pictures of D.C.'s Urban Walmarts:
Walmart Stores Go Small and Urban - PlannersWeb
I don't think so. There is a Walmart in Denver in the Stapleton New Urbanist development. I can't find a source for when it opened, but I believe it's been around a little while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is the difference? What I see as one difference is that Target does not sell uniform scrubs or sewing supplies, and Walmart does. As long as Walmart sells what I want/need, I'll shop there.

Why the love affair with Target? Do you really think they pay better, treat their employees better, sell less crap from China?
I totally agree I don't get America's hate of Wal Mart. I know a lot of stupid people and poor people shop at Wal Mart but why should i pay more money just because of the reputation of a store like Target.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
NYC has no Wal-Marts and we don't have a lot of Targets either. Around 10 stores for a city of 8.4 million.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM

442 posts, read 496,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think there's both Wal-Mart in Minneapolis proper and St. Paul proper:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...cd06ac37093577

I know there is in St. Paul...across the street from a Target. Night and day.

The WalMart you need a shot (vaccination OR alcohol!) when you come out of. It's just nasty.

The Target is well run, well stocked, brighter, clean, friendlier.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:34 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm sorry Wal-Mart apologists out there, I absolutely hate going to Wal-Mart, and much prefer Target instead. So maybe that makes me a Target snob, but the stores and their clientelle couldn't be more different in many ways that I won't get into here (I'm sure you know what I mean).

I'm very surprised there are that many people out there who can't see the difference!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
It depends on the individual store. We have two within 15 miles. Night and day! From fresh local produce, there isles of wine, I counted to 20 and quit in the vinegar section, attentive staff to one type of mushrooms and never enough registers.
It's this to be perfectly honest. In the suburb I grew up in outside of St. Louis, we never went to Walmart unless it was absolutely necessary, but my parents moved to a different suburb when I started college, and the Targets became further away, and a Walmart became closer. Said Walmart was no different than Target due to the town it was located in. I also went there one year for Black Friday in order to get some movies and games, and never in my life have I been anywhere where people were politely chatting in line and saying excuse me like they were while also attempting to grab merchandise. It was like stepping into the Twilight Zone.

That being said, I shop at Target more than Walmart, but lets not act like Target is nothing more than a dressed up Walmart. They both sell the exact same things, except Target charges a little bit more across the board.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They've been doing small urban stores in Chicago for 4 years now too. 15,000sf Express stores and 30,000sf Neighborhood Market stores. At least they keep them small. I stopped in once in Lakeview just to look, and apparently there's another urban store near my job in the loop, but I'm much more partial to Target.

They've been opening those new "urban Targets" around here as well. There's one about a 5 minute walk from my condo. It fits nicely with the streetscape and has the usual underground parking and muti-floor layout.

http://loyolastudentdispatch.files.w...ize3502331.jpg

They opened another urban footprint Target right on the site of the former Cabrini Green housing complex that was torn down and is being replaced with market-rate highrises, mid-rise condo buildings and lots of retail.
The two aren't comparable. The city Walmarts in Chicago are, for the most part, grocery stores, whereas the Targets are the full stores.

I used to live right near the Walmart at Broadway and Addison, and I have to say that it was convenient if you needed some basic food items, and it was always full of people, even though within a two block area you had a Jewel, Treasure Island, and a Whole Foods. That being said, besides its convenience, it has little else to offer. If you shop the sales at Jewel, you end up paying the same for your groceries as you would have at the Walmart anyway, and they have a far wider selection.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
It's this to be perfectly honest. In the suburb I grew up in outside of St. Louis, we never went to Walmart unless it was absolutely necessary, but my parents moved to a different suburb when I started college, and the Targets became further away, and a Walmart became closer. Said Walmart was no different than Target due to the town it was located in. I also went there one year for Black Friday in order to get some movies and games, and never in my life have I been anywhere where people were politely chatting in line and saying excuse me like they were attempting to grab merchandise. It was like stepping into the Twilight Zone.

That being said, I shop at Target more than Walmart, but lets not act like Target is nothing more than a dressed up Walmart. They both sell the exact same things, except Target charges a little bit more across the board.
Oh, no they don't. I posted earlier how Target doesn't meet my needs for some things. I really don't know why Target doesn't sell scrubs, unless they think it's too "middle class" for them. They sell Cherokee brand clothes and Cherokee has several lines of scrubs. I also don't know why they don't sell sewing supplies. Oh, you can buy a little sewing kit with a needle, a thimble, a little scissors and a few spools of thread, and I think I've occasionally seen sewing machines being sold at my local Target, but they don't sell fabric, patterns and notions.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, no they don't. I posted earlier how Target doesn't meet my needs for some things. I really don't know why Target doesn't sell scrubs, unless they think it's too "middle class" for them. They sell Cherokee brand clothes and Cherokee has several lines of scrubs. I also don't know why they don't sell sewing supplies. Oh, you can buy a little sewing kit with a needle, a thimble, a little scissors and a few spools of thread, and I think I've occasionally seen sewing machines being sold at my local Target, but they don't sell fabric, patterns and notions.
My mistake then. I'm honestly not familiar with either of their clothing sections. I meant more so in terms of cleaning supplies, school supplies, electronics, movies, home goods (towels, etc), toiletries, etc.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
TARJAY
Target Store said with a fake french accent to make it sound more upscale than it is.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Same for Los Angeles. There are maybe two or three Walmarts and they're far apart. Target is definitely favored. We have talks about how much everyone loves Target.
But there is a bunch of WalMarts in the surrounding cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.