Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:00 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,090,800 times

Advertisements

Being a member of this forum I have come across very different ideas of what constitutes the American South. Where I come from, the South is anything south of the Mason-Dixon line. However, many members here have brought up a lot of points explaining why states that could be considered the South are actually not. So aside from never solving the issue of the eastern shore of the United States, I want to bring the discussion to the South Central portion of the US Mainland.

Texas is almost smack dab in the middle of the country going from East to West. It also lies in not only a climactic transitional zone, but also a geographical AND cultural one. This actually interestingly is the case for other states part of the "what is the South?" debate, but that's another topic. Texas can be humid and muggy like the South, but also dry and very hot like the Southwest. Like Southern states it can be pounded by hurricanes and tornadoes, and like SW states it can have droughts.

Culturally and linguistically, it can be fair to say that Texans vary because the state is so large. But generally when people think traditional Texan, they think of someone with a country twang. People think Texas and some think country music. But people also think cowboys and ranching. Texas seems to have a combination of both the West and the South (and of course the transitional region of Southwest) in its culture. Like the SW, Texas has a large Latino population. Like the West, Texas also has large Asian populations. But like the South, Texas can have very large Black populations as well. Texas is also a Red State, but it has Democratic strongholds like Austin and Dallas. Wendy Davis is a very well known Texas girl, but so is Jessica Simpson.

Geographically, Texas' borders are with the South and the Southwest. Some people even argue that it borders the Midwest.

So, what is Texas? Please explain your reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,756,639 times
It was part of the Confederacy, so yes.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,774,789 times
Texas and Oklahoma are both southern states.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 AM

867 posts, read 1,402,033 times
Nah, its part of Mexico.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,977,587 times
Texas is located in the South, and it was one of the Confederate states. I don't think you can get any more South/Southern than that. Yes!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,521,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It was part of the Confederacy, so yes.
Arizona was mostly Confederate during the Civil War (but not a state yet), but that doesnt make it southern at all. I would classify TX as Southwestern. There are parts of eastern Texas that are southern in feel, but overall TX is just completely different than, say, Tennessee or Louisiana, which are strictly southern.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,964,783 times
It feels like we've had this discussion a million times alreay.

Texas is Texas. Sure, the eastern part of it feels more southern. But as soon as you get west of Dallas, it feels less and less southern the further you go...

Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,277,092 times
Texas is so huge that it defies the pat geographical categories.

There is an absolute line in Texas where you go from being in the South to being in the Southwest. You can almost feel it. I know somebody will take exception to it, but I would offer that Dallas is the edge of the South, and Fort Worth is the last outpost of the Southwest.

Houston? South
San Antonio? Southwest
Austin? Somewhere in between.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,611,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Texas is so huge that it defies the pat geographical categories.

There is an absolute line in Texas where you go from being in the South to being in the Southwest. You can almost feel it. I know somebody will take exception to it, but I would offer that Dallas is the edge of the South, and Fort Worth is the last outpost of the Southwest.

Houston? South
San Antonio? Southwest
Austin? Somewhere in between.
San Antonio is most definitely not Southwestern. It's Southern with heavy Mexican/Spanish influence. El Paso is the only real Southwestern city in Texas.

This topic has been hammered to death on C-D. The consensus is always the same... no one agrees on anything. Just do a little research on Texas' history, and there you will find your answers. On C-D you will only find wildly varying opinions and a lot of arguing.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,977,587 times
[quote=Bobloblawslawblog;36905479]San Antonio is most definitely not Southwestern. It's Southern with heavy Mexican/Spanish influence. El Paso is the only real Southwestern city in Texas.

This topic has been hammered to death on C-D. The consensus is always the same... no one agrees on anything. Just do a little research on Texas' history, and there you will find your answers. On C-D you will only find wildly varying opinions and a lot of arguing.[/quote]

Amen! When I want a good laugh, I come to C-D to find out where a particular state is located today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.