Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I only know one or two people in Connecticut that like and listen to country music. There's only ONE country music station in the entire state (92.5) and I don't know anyone who listens to it. Country music just doesn't match with CT people. CT is the antithesis of anything country, redneck, conservative or southern. It's the deep north.
I certainly agree. We can only hope it stays that way.
But, back to the subject. Alabama, home of Hank Williams Sr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:10 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
Anything west of Passaic County, New Jersey. Everything east of King County, Washington.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,092,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Anything west of Passaic County, New Jersey. Everything east of King County, Washington.
I'd say pretty much the entirety of Washington State is big into country music, too. I was out in Olympic National Park (extreme Western Washington) last summer, and I saw more redneck, pickup-driving, country-music-blaring, drive-a-tractor-on-the-highway-type people out there than I ever have in Minnesota.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'd say pretty much the entirety of Washington State is big into country music, too. I was out in Olympic National Park (extreme Western Washington) last summer, and I saw more redneck, pickup-driving, country-music-blaring, drive-a-tractor-on-the-highway-type people out there than I ever have in Minnesota.
Suburban and rural Oregon is full of country music fans too--there was a huge billboard in downtown Portland for months advertising tickets on sale for country music festival an hour south of Portland that was 9 months away. There's big rodeos just 45 minutes south of Portland also.

I'd say most of the rural west and many of the suburbs are full of country music fans. Even in Canada, when I lived in Alberta--that's totally country music territory too.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:13 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
After reading some of the surprised comments on this thread, I think a lot of you folks need to get out a little more.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
Yeah OKC is the runner up and a few other cities I can think of.

*Knoxville, TN
*Huntsville, AL
*Roanoke, VA
*Charleston, WV

Old 05-08-2015, 03:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
To me, it seems like Country and Bluegrass originated in the Upper South. States like Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina. However, as time went by, it spread out west or to the Deep South. States along the lines of Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.

To respond to my own thread:

Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Alabama, Missouri, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas

Country music cities with the exception of Nashville is a little tough. Bristol, TN/VA comes to mind, though. Definitely Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Dallas/Ft. Worth, too.
On the money here.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:36 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
To me, it seems like Country and Bluegrass originated in the Upper South. States like Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina. However, as time went by, it spread out west or to the Deep South. States along the lines of Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.

To respond to my own thread:

Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Alabama, Missouri, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas

Country music cities with the exception of Nashville is a little tough. Bristol, TN/VA comes to mind, though. Definitely Tulsa, Oklahoma City, and Dallas/Ft. Worth, too.
What about St. Louis and Louisville?

Once in a bar in London, Ontario, someone told me that Ottawa has a thriving alt country scene. I find that hard to believe? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:51 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,843 times
Country Music = South / Southwest / Midwest / Any Rural Town USA.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:44 PM

591 posts, read 782,263 times
Country is my favorite genre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.