Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 01:47 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
I want none of that. I'm fine with Outback Steakhouse, YouTube, and Target.

A Chinatown, or any kind of non-european ethnic enclave is a net negative for me, I have a child and I don't want them exposed to that stuff.

You know what's important to me, the segregation index, good schools, and plurality white non-hispanic.

We don't use public transport and skylines remind me that I'm not where I belong, in the country.
Nothing wrong with that. I feel the same way about 99% of this. The other 1% is a good Indian restaurant with a lunch buffet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 03:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Let's start a list of things that people on City-Data talk about that in the real world, really seems kind of silly to consider when choosing a place. Let me start:

Skylines.
Density.
I knew what kind of "things" you were talking about before I even clicked on link.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:53 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Strip malls are looked down upon on CD but in the real world I never hear people complain.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,768,504 times
If they're Northeastern, Southern, Midwestern, or Western.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Millenials want walkability because they don't want to have to drive... at all, if they can help it. They aspire to live a car-free lifestyle.

That's not an overblown topic, it's a generation-gap topic. If you don't get it, it's because you're not paying attention to millenials.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I would say the whole provincial vs. transient thing is overblown. There are MANY cases where transplanted people move to a place with a large native born population and are perfectly fine, happy and welcomed. In fact, I personally prefer provincial places, because the native culture is preserved and keeps the place unique in that regard and has a well defined identity. Moving to a transplant heavy place would drive me insane in the membrane.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
You're being way too reasonable for City-Data!

If anyone here gets offended, in real life, about anything posted in here, you're really focusing on the wrong things. There are also a lot of unhappy people who post on this forum, just like there are all over the internet, because they can vent anonymously here in a way that would be impossible in person.

Life is way too short to be that unhappy all the time.
I agree with you both. People take this site too serious, people try to insult me on here like it will have an effect on my life. It has zero effect, I don't really care what strangers think of me, I am not an insecure teenager. I have met a lot of d bags on this site. Lot of people have agendas on this site which is kinda sad, I don't believe that was what this site was created and intended for. Cheers to you both for being reasonable on a site full of idiots. I tip my cap and my beer to you both.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,643 times
In addition to everything that has been mentioned, acting as if history is important in a place to live. If you are traveling someplace it's one thing. However, I bet the majority of the people of the world don't give a single thought about the history of where they live on an average week. Yet people on here treat it as an important requirement of a place they are considering living.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopieheadman View Post
GDP is by far the biggest. The superiority complex is fascinating. Why the hell should I care that your city is bigger than mine or has a higher economic output?

How many famous people are from there/live there is another big one.

What gets me is all these people that move to NYC so they can brag to their friends about living there, or really, living "amongst other famous people" and not themselves. I like to call it "being broke near rich people."

Im also not sure how being from Brooklyn or Manhattan means you're better than everyone else. Last time I checked, you weren't a celebrity. You had nothing to do with the building of the Brooklyn Bridge or the Empire State Building, nothing to do with the Rangers last Cup win, etc. Chances are you're a boring and average type of person just like the rest of us. Just because you **** near Wall St. doesn't mean made Wall St.

It just doesn't make sense to me why people brag about living there yet have contributed absolutely nothing to what makes NYC, NYC.
NYC transplants (some) are potentially the most annoying, stuck up, snotty people in the world who look down on anything outside their new home with contempt (especially us across the river). I truly can't stand so many NYC transplants, especially Brooklyn and Manhattan ones. Funny enough many of them come from podunk little Midwestern or Southern towns (truly no offense to these regions) and have no right to be so contemptuous.

Natives can be annoying by telling you every 3 seconds that they're natives and acting sort of elitist, but at least they tend to be more down to earth with good, actual personalities and though they pretend to hate us, most secretly don't.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Millenials want walkability because they don't want to have to drive... at all, if they can help it. They aspire to live a car-free lifestyle.

That's not an overblown topic, it's a generation-gap topic. If you don't get it, it's because you're not paying attention to millenials.
SOME millennials.

If you don't get that many millennials aren't hipsters or ubanites, and who are not only living in the suburbs and driving, but even (OMG the horror) buying and driving pickup trucks (25 percent of millennials say their next vehicle will be a pick up truck) then you're not paying attention to any millennials other than the ones you identify with.

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

In 2012, 25% of all new vehicles sold in the U.S. were purchased by Millennials. That figure is expected to nearly double by 2022.
http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA90353823.PDF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.