Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 01:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times

Advertisements

Why would Quebec want to give up all those subsidies they get from the wealthier parts of Canada? Quebec is one of the poorer provinces and would vanish off the world economic map on their own. No NAFTA. It would be a disaster.

I do a lot of business in Quebec and I'm there several times per year. I'm French fluent. I really like the place but the whole province has a huge inferiority complex. The superpower USA to the south. The far more prosperous and influential Ontario to the west. The economic powerhouse natural resource provinces west of that. Je Me Souviens on the license plate kind of says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 05:28 AM

185 posts, read 174,094 times
Maybe I'm just a little clueless . Quebec is a city in Canada , how can thag be an entire country on its own , am I missing something ?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:31 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Maybe I'm just a little clueless . Quebec is a city in Canada , how can thag be an entire country on its own , am I missing something ?
No, it's a province (like a state) as well. The capital city is also named Quebec.

The province is about the size of Alaska.

Population-wise it is similar in size to Virginia or New Jersey.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:33 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I would not be so sure about that. I have spoken to people from the Maritimes about the prospect of Quebec seceding from Canada. The maritime provinces would essentially be cut off from the rest of Canada if this were to happen. The provinces are in many respects are more similar to New England 9especially coastal NE) than the rest of Canada. The people I knew indicated they would want to link up with New England if Quebec exited Canada.

That may be their view and I know it does exist but it's definitely a minority view.

Source: I am originally from the Canadian Maritimes and three quarters of my family lives there.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
I dont care whether they are independent or not really....

Old 05-13-2016, 03:52 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I personally think it would be pretty cool if Quebec became its own country...would add another country to North America which would be neat.
On the other hand, my Canadian friends (from Calgary, Toronto, and Vancouver) all scoff at Quebec for wanting independence and think it's a complete joke.
Canadians have a bad habit of talking non-stop trash about Quebec when it suits them. But when you get into a discussion about most beautiful cities, they will not stop talking about how gorgeous Montreal and Quebec City. They love Quebec when it builds up their arguments. But deep down there's a strong under-current of condescension towards all things Quebecois. That's probably why most Quebecers don't feel at home in Canada. It's Canada national pastime to make fun of Quebec. Ironically, without Quebec, Canada becomes a boring country of 28 million people. It loses a large part of its 'cultural' identity and winds up being Greater Ontario. Ontario has 14 million people. If Quebec leaves, Ontario will have 50% of the country.

That would be like California having 163 million people in the U.S. Canada needs Quebec because without Quebec, Ontario will govern all things and then you'll quickly see the country fall apart. Western Canada will not want to be dictated to by politicians in Toronto. And Atlantic Canada will be geographically cut-off. For all this talk about Canada being so perfect and stable, the country is one province away from complete collapse.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would Quebec want to give up all those subsidies they get from the wealthier parts of Canada? Quebec is one of the poorer provinces and would vanish off the world economic map on their own. No NAFTA. It would be a disaster.

I do a lot of business in Quebec and I'm there several times per year. I'm French fluent. I really like the place but the whole province has a huge inferiority complex. The superpower USA to the south. The far more prosperous and influential Ontario to the west. The economic powerhouse natural resource provinces west of that. Je Me Souviens on the license plate kind of says it all.
Quebecers I've met have been incredibly kind and intellectual. It's the other Canadians who have the inferiority complex and spend all day and night talking smack about 'Fat Americans', and 'Lazy Quebecers.' You would think Ontario is growing as fast as China by the way some boosters tout their own middling province. In reality, Ontario's manufacturing industry has collapsed due to the weak Loonie and nearly all growth in Toronto is a speculative housing bubble. The province is also one of the most indebted jurisdictions in the world. But Ontario is 'an economic powerhouse' to some? Please.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:45 AM

257 posts, read 257,597 times
I support independence with the hope that the Maritime provinces join the U.S. as an extension of New England (a lot of shared history and culture).

Old 05-13-2016, 10:25 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
I find it awkward to be asked about the politics of another country...its not our place to say.

Other than the obvious comment that an independent Quebec would be a novelty.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:25 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I'm all for people getting independence if that's what they want. And if they want to stay that's also fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.