Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Madrid completely stole my heart and I've never loved anything in my life as much as that city. I've been searching for anything even close and nothing. No luck. I haven't made my way to Montreal yet. But if it means anything, my favorite American city is Chicago and my favorite global city is Madrid. So maybe they're similar enough? Not sure.
Have you been to Prague? That city stole my heart and is my favorite global city. I don't really like Western European cities too much. Places like Prague and Budapest are more up my alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:02 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Have you been to Prague? That city stole my heart and is my favorite global city. I don't really like Western European cities too much. Places like Prague and Budapest are more up my alley.
Yeah I was there. I found it too touristy. Loved it though. Budapest is in my top favorites in the world though. Madrid is first. Then after that it depends on the day but my favorites would be Barcelona, Bologna, Rome, London, Budapest, Warsaw, Tel Aviv. And basically anywhere in Europe>anywhere in Canada>anywhere in the US. The US comes in last place for countries I've visited that I would live in. Well above Bosnia and Slovakia and Romania...but they obviously don't even count.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
As people are saying, there is nothing remotely close to either Madrid or Berlin in the US and Canada. Madrid even more so than Berlin as Madrid really is an over the top special type of city.

I havent lived in either but visited both. I have lived in London and Istanbul though, so have a feeling of what you are looking for pedestrian wise. The most pedestrian friendly cities other than NYC are Chicago, Boston, DC, Philly, SF, Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

I would put Boston, Montreal and Philly as my three favorite of the bunch for pedestrian wise. None of the three are even remotely close to Madrid but closer to Berlin.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I would put Boston, Montreal and Philly as my three favorite of the bunch for pedestrian wise. None of the three are even remotely close to Madrid but closer to Berlin.
Yeah, I would agree with this. Those cities are probably closest in feel. Chicago and Toronto have bigger cores, probably, but not quite the pedestrian feel. SF has the pedestrian feel, so maybe include SF.

I'm surprised so many people found Madrid to be super-beautiful. I agree it's a nice city and very vibrant/lively, but I did not find it very attractive, especially compared to other Spanish cities. It cannot remotely compare to the glories of Paris, Rome or Barcelona (IMO). But to each his own.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah, I would agree with this. Those cities are probably closest in feel. Chicago and Toronto have bigger cores, probably, but not quite the pedestrian feel. SF has the pedestrian feel, so maybe include SF.

I'm surprised so many people found Madrid to be super-beautiful. I agree it's a nice city and very vibrant/lively, but I did not find it very attractive, especially compared to other Spanish cities. It cannot remotely compare to the glories of Paris, Rome or Barcelona (IMO). But to each his own.
In SF though it's mainly just a few neighborhoods with true urbanness like Madrid. Mission, Castro, Polk, SoMa, FiDi, US, Marina, Russian Hill, Hayes Vally, and North Beach. Lots of names, but small land area. Madrid has over 3 million people, while SF has under 1 million and Madrid's land area is almost 5x as large with a pretty competitive density. Madrid is 14,000/sq mi and SF is 18,000/sq mi. Then after SF's 7x7 box, nothing is remotely urban aside from a few parts of Oakland. Madrid is urban EVERYWHERE. The only cities I can think of like that are NYC (Manhattan and nearby parts of BK and Queens and BX), Vancouver, and Chicago (North and Northwest nearest the water mostly) that I've been to. Chicago drops off density too, but the north side's urban area is pretty big and doesn't really drop off for a while.

Can't comment on Philly since I've never been. But outside of Europe, idk if anything comes close to Madrid besides Buenos Aires. They're basically twins in many ways.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I dont find Madrid over the top beautiful at all, but I find it a visually stimulating city. I think the city has alot of interesting contrasts and is so welcoming at the street level that its tough not to love the place.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
In SF though it's mainly just a few neighborhoods with true urbanness like Madrid. Mission, Castro, Polk, SoMa, FiDi, US, Marina, Russian Hill, Hayes Vally, and North Beach. Lots of names, but small land area. Madrid has over 3 million people, while SF has under 1 million and Madrid's land area is almost 5x as large with a pretty competitive density. Madrid is 14,000/sq mi and SF is 18,000/sq mi. Then after SF's 7x7 box, nothing is remotely urban aside from a few parts of Oakland. Madrid is urban EVERYWHERE. The only cities I can think of like that are NYC (Manhattan and nearby parts of BK and Queens and BX), Vancouver, and Chicago (North and Northwest nearest the water mostly) that I've been to.
I can agree with NYC and Chicago, but Vancouver? Vancouver has a great tightly packed core, but continuously urban and vibrant is something I would not consider it. I think it is firmly in 3rd place in Canada after Toronto and Montreal in that department.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I can agree with NYC and Chicago, but Vancouver? Vancouver has a great tightly packed core, but continuously urban and vibrant is something I would not consider it. I think it is firmly in 3rd place in Canada after Toronto and Montreal in that department.
I found it quite vibrant in the neighborhoods around downtown. But I haven't been to TO or Montreal yet to comment.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:06 PM

Wait okay I always forget this. I take back Vancouver. I was accidentally there on Pride Weekend my only time there which is a bad indicator because there were way more people there celebrating life than normal. So I take back Vancouver lol.

But I still go for NYC and Chicago. SF is too small and hilly and with a basically nonexistent subway system. Madrid, NYC, and Chicago have world class systems.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I found it quite vibrant in the neighborhoods around downtown. But I haven't been to TO or Montreal yet to comment.
Quote:
Wait okay I always forget this. I take back Vancouver. I was accidentally there on Pride Weekend my only time there which is a bad indicator because there were way more people there celebrating life than normal. So I take back Vancouver lol.

But I still go for NYC and Chicago. SF is too small and hilly and with a basically nonexistent subway system. Madrid, NYC, and Chicago have world class systems.
Ha, an especially great weekend to go. But do not get me wrong, I find Vancouver vibrant and a place where living downtown is encouraged. I just would not put it in the same class as some other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.