Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite US National Parks?
Acadia 17 16.19%
American Samoa 0 0%
Arches 12 11.43%
Badlands 7 6.67%
Big Bend 3 2.86%
Biscayne 1 0.95%
Black Canyone of the Gunnison 3 2.86%
Bryce Canyon 16 15.24%
Canyonlands 8 7.62%
Capitol Reef 4 3.81%
Carlsbad Caverns 5 4.76%
Channel Islands 3 2.86%
Congaree 3 2.86%
Crater Lake 10 9.52%
Cuyahoga Valley 4 3.81%
Death Valley 10 9.52%
Denali 10 9.52%
Dry Tortugas 2 1.90%
Everglades 9 8.57%
Gates of the Arctic 3 2.86%
Glacier 14 13.33%
Glacier Bay 3 2.86%
Grand Canyon 23 21.90%
Grand Teton 14 13.33%
Great Basin 5 4.76%
Great Sand Dunes 3 2.86%
Great Smoky Mountains 14 13.33%
Guadalupe Mountains 1 0.95%
Haleakalā 2 1.90%
Hawaii Volcanoes 10 9.52%
Hot Springs 1 0.95%
Isle Royale 6 5.71%
Joshua Tree 9 8.57%
Katmai 0 0%
Kenai Fjords 2 1.90%
Kings Canyon 4 3.81%
Kobuk Valley 0 0%
Lake Clark 0 0%
Lassen Volcanic 3 2.86%
Mammoth Cave 3 2.86%
Mesa Verde 6 5.71%
Mount Rainier 16 15.24%
North Cascades 15 14.29%
Olympic 19 18.10%
Petrified Forest 2 1.90%
Pinnacles 1 0.95%
Redwood 15 14.29%
Rocky Mountain 14 13.33%
Saguaro 2 1.90%
Sequoia 17 16.19%
Shenandoah 10 9.52%
Theodore Roosevelt 3 2.86%
Virgin Islands 1 0.95%
Voyageurs 3 2.86%
Wind Cave 0 0%
Wrangell-St. Elias 3 2.86%
Yellowstone 36 34.29%
Yosemite 38 36.19%
Zion 18 17.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 02:42 AM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times

Advertisements

Gateway Arch all day baby!

Serious answer: I'm fascinated with Death Valley although I haven't been there yet. Specifically what the lives of people who live there are like. I love places that are "extreme" or record-holding in some way.

Arches also seems cool and very unique. Want to take my parents out there sometime.

As for the ones I've been to, North Cascades is my favorite. Very stark and imposing mountains, like Liberty Bell Mountain right on the Skagit/Okanogan County border, the edge of Western and Eastern Washington. It somehow has the highest fatality rate of any park, by a lot. Maybe because it's lesser-known so it mostly attracts highly ambitious hikers and climbers, and it gets very intense and sudden snowstorms and avalanches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 12:01 PM

783 posts, read 699,964 times
Yosemite, Zion & Banff are top tier for me

Others I have been to - Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Pinnacles, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Redwoods, Lassen Volcanic, Petrified Forest, Saguaro & Crater Lake

Out of those I would say that Death Valley is underrated because it's a desert & Lassen Volcanic is amazing and relatively unknown. In general, National Parks are worth their salt and something great to visit.

We should stop creating these parks because National Parks are international parks. By giving them the designation, we are turning them into Disneyland. It's ridiculously hard to get a spot in Yosemite now. When I started camping 10 years ago it was easier. Also, you can find amazing places to go that aren't National Parks. For instance, I would say that Mt. Hood is an undesignated National Park based purely on how amazing it is. There are areas in the Sierra Nevadas wilderness areas that are just as good as a National Park. I hope they never get the designation because as I said, it turns them into Disneyland.

Instead, I think we should buy up at least ~80% of Appalachia and turn it into a gigantic National Forest so that more people can enjoy the outdoors and it can be protected. We need better funded and maintained public lands.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:27 PM

9,200 posts, read 13,313,066 times
I voted for most of them that I knew. Some of the best btw, Yosemite, Yellowstone and Zion, are the bottom of the list.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:58 PM

660 posts, read 363,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Serious answer: I'm fascinated with Death Valley although I haven't been there yet. Specifically what the lives of people who live there are like. I love places that are "extreme" or record-holding in some way.

Arches also seems cool and very unique. Want to take my parents out there sometime.

As for the ones I've been to, North Cascades is my favorite. Very stark and imposing mountains, like Liberty Bell Mountain right on the Skagit/Okanogan County border, the edge of Western and Eastern Washington. It somehow has the highest fatality rate of any park, by a lot. Maybe because it's lesser-known so it mostly attracts highly ambitious hikers and climbers, and it gets very intense and sudden snowstorms and avalanches?
That has a lot to do with it.

The main road is closed most of the year due to prolific snowfall. You really can’t experience North Cascades National Park without being an avid hiker or climber. It’s not like Yosemite and some of the other well known parks and that’s what makes it great. The lack of roads and wilderness experience is what makes it so special.

North Cascades National Park has the largest concentration of glaciers in the US outside Alaska. Some of the most rugged terrain in North America makes it a beautiful yet dangerous place.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:05 PM

1,324 posts, read 883,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
That has a lot to do with it.

You really can’t experience North Cascades National Park without being an avid hiker or climber. It’s not like Yosemite and some of the other well known parks and that’s what makes it great. The lack of roads and wilderness experience is what makes it so great.

North Cascades National Park has the largest concentration of glaciers in the US outside Alaska. Some of the most rugged terrain in North America makes it a beautiful yet dangerous place.
To add to this, the park itself has weird boundaries. Heavily trafficked areas like Ross Lake and Diablo Lake are part of the North Cascades National Park Complex, however, they are technically not within the park itself, so the NPS doesn’t count them for visitation statistics. What the NPS considers to be NCNP is not accessible by car and generally very difficult to get to, so the average visitor will be more exposed to the brutal elements than any other park.

I absolutely love the National Park system, but am ashamed to say I’ve only visited a small handful of them. I’ve been to all the PNW ones (besides North Cascades) and have also been to the Grand Canyon and Saguaro. I briefly visited some of the Midwest ones. My favorite of this bunch is either the Grand Canyon or Olympic.

Top of my list to visit are Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Tetons, Glacier, Denali, and any of the Utah ones.

Old 05-23-2023, 02:42 PM

9,386 posts, read 20,875,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

I will never forget my visit to this park. It was over 30 years ago, and at the time I had lived in only New Jersey my entire life. My dad and I were at a business convention in Las Vegas. It was July. The partners he was with wanted to gamble and drink. I wasn't going to do any of that. On day one, I went to see Hoover Dam. On day two we set off for Badwater Basin, in the park, the lowest point in the United States.

I remember driving through the town of Death Valley Junction, which was more settled at the time, but saw nothing but scattered mobile homes. And I was equally awestruck at how expansive and spread out the entire terrain was driving from Vegas. As we were driving slowly through town, all I can remember was seeing signs (at least 4, probably closer to 10) advertising treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. It wasn't substance abuse back in the day. I was shocked because I thought where I was driving through was paradise, and how could anyone be possibly unhappy to live there. I was a young adult at the time, not very worldly and obviously had no idea.

We proceeded on and driving on California Route 190, and descended after Furnace Creek. From above, it looked like we were driving into Frosted Flakes. Then I began to make out this was solid salt. It fascinated me. At the same time my dad started to complain that the air conditioner wasn't working very well. Soon thereafter, we both opened the door as we both approached Badwater Basin, and my dad about collapsed after having gotten out of the car. He had to get right back in it, and I made a short hike to Badwater Basin in my own. The temperature outside was 124 degrees. It's still the hottest weather I've ever experienced and likely will not ever again. (When we left two days later, the plane was delayed until the sun set, because air gets very unstable wehn the air is that hot) Upon approaching Badwater Basin, I saw in front of me a very small alkaline pool of water, with tadpoles swimming it. It was amazing to think at that temperature, some form of life could still be supported. Also, on the way back to the car, I saw in front of me a cliff, and near the top there was a marker that read "sea level". That's my experience with Death Valley National Park.

Old 05-23-2023, 04:30 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,740,379 times
I really love all the parks. Never been disappointed. Surely some are better for postcards, hiking, etc.

Volcanoes, while unique, didn’t have the awe that I was hoping for. Voyagers, sort of looked a bit like the rest of MN (my home state). Again, never been disappointed, just didn’t have the “wow” factor perhaps of some of the others

Old 05-23-2023, 08:15 PM

6,524 posts, read 7,600,690 times
Yosemite is the best.....The only bad thing about it is how crowded it gets. It's practically a city in the forest.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:23 PM

23,698 posts, read 24,260,266 times
Ditto for Yosemite, so scenic and beautiful.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:58 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,550,263 times
I voted Mt. Rainier. It is my favorite land formation in the country. I’ve never been yet, but one day, I will get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.