Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times

Advertisements

I can easily name a couple: Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, some might even argue Cleveland although I disagree with this. Louisville even to a degree doesn't fit in with the rest of Kentucky because of it's being Catholic and its demographics consisting of large numbers of German Americans. Your thoughts of cities that don't fit in with their respective states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Personally, I think Chicago IS Illinois so of course it belongs. Detroit also is nearly synonymous with Michigan. Cities that come to mind are cities that are culturally and politically at odds with their states. These are the first ones I can think of.

Austin, Texas (belongs in the Pacific Northwest)
El Paso, Texas (belongs in New Mexico or Arizona)
Asheville, North Carolina (also Pacific Northwest)
Louisville, Kentucky (nothing like the rest of Kentucky)
Memphis, Tennessee (Culturally a part of Mississippi or Arkansas)
Kansas City, Kansas (More like Missouri than Kansas)

Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,860,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Personally, I think Chicago IS Illinois so of course it belongs. Detroit also is nearly synonymous with Michigan. Cities that come to mind are cities that are culturally and politically at odds with their states. These are the first ones I can think of.

I disagree. Chicago is politically, culturally, and linguistically distinct from the rest of Illinois. I would put it more in with Southern Wisconsin than downstate Illinois. Detroit is more similar to Northern Ohio than to the rest of Michigan.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:58 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I disagree. Chicago is politically, culturally, and linguistically distinct from the rest of Illinois. I would put it more in with Southern Wisconsin than downstate Illinois. Detroit is more similar to Northern Ohio than to the rest of Michigan.
True, but Chicago is the dominant player in Illinois politics and culture. As goes Chicago, so goes the state. What I generally think of when I think of cities that don't fit with their state is situations like Austin. Austin is a liberal, funky, eclectic outpost of the Pacific Northwest in the heart of Texas. However, Austin doesn't come even close to dominating Texas politics and culture. In fact, most of Texas would not consider Austin to be true Texas culture.

Chicago on the other hand culturally dominates Illinois, even if it is very different from the rural downstate.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:00 PM

638 posts, read 624,344 times
Quote:

How is Kansas City, Kansas like Missouri?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:52 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Atlanta and the rest of Georgia are like two different worlds.
Same for New York City and upstate New York.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:09 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I can easily name a couple: Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, some might even argue Cleveland although I disagree with this. Louisville even to a degree doesn't fit in with the rest of Kentucky because of it's being Catholic and its demographics consisting of large numbers of German Americans. Your thoughts of cities that don't fit in with their respective states?
I would agree with St. Louis. Our mayor challenged the marriage equality issue with conservative Missouri and succeeded before the Supreme Court decision. Missouri wanted to join the ranks of "right to work" states but many in St. Louis took a stand. These are a few of the examples. Lets not get started on gun control and minimum wage. Where St. Louis belongs is a good question but clearly not in Missouri.

Atlanta is another example. Dallas doesn't exactly seem Texas to me until you look at all the huge arenas called churches. Miami definitely doesn't belong in Florida.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 02-09-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-09-2016, 03:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
How is Kansas City, Kansas like Missouri?
Uh oh.

Opened a can of worms here.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would agree with St. Louis. Our mayor challenged the marriage equality issue with conservative Missouri and succeeded before the Supreme Court decision. Missouri wanted to join the ranks of "right to work" states but many in St. Louis took a stand. These are a few of the examples. Lets not get started on gun control and minimum wage. Where St. Louis belongs is a good question but clearly not in Missouri.

Atlanta is another example. Dallas doesn't exactly seem Texas to me until you look at all the huge arenas called churches. Miami definitely doesn't belong in Florida.
Yep, and STL's status as a Missouri misfit dates all the way back to its founding-- the city is older than the United States, founded as a French colony, then acquired by Spain, then back to France, before joining the US. And the city was so pro-Union during the Civil War that Missouri's Confederate-sympathizing government seized control of the city's police department that was only recently reversed. I wish St. Louis could secede.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:43 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Quote:

Hahaha.

Austin is maybe the most Texan place in Texas. Right down to its silly self-aggrandizement and laughably earnest belief that it is unique or "weird".

There's an Austin in just about every state, Austin is just the Texas-sized version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.