Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,571 times

Advertisements

When I think hippies I think of cool young-ish bohemians living in converted immobile school buses. Not Asheville or Athens, GA. But that's just me. So let me be perhaps the first to mention Floyd, Virginia. Home of http://www.floydfest.com, various musicians (http://www.floydcountrystore.com/) and artists (http://jacksonvillecenter.org/) (broken link).

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 AM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
There are hippies in many areas of Oregon

Old 05-09-2007, 11:50 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Asheville, North Carolina!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:16 PM

44 posts, read 154,575 times
Smile Outformation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Asheville, North Carolina!
Asheville is a great town. If you like awesome live music, be in Asheville on May 18th for the free live at five concert. The great jam band Outformation will be playing downtown. (Hippies love jam bands)

Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 AM

353 posts, read 503,937 times
Oregon. Hands down. In Eugene every summer there is the Harvest Festival where hoards of naked, stoned hippies carouse into the woods to buy rosen, corn, organic tofu, and delight in Wiccan fellowship.

That state is one giant commune.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM

62 posts, read 257,576 times
Asheville is riddled with hippies!!

Also, Portland and Eugene Oregon come to mind.

"Can I get a miracle????"

Old 05-14-2007, 04:15 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I second Floyd, VA, have been to the Floydfest and it was great fun, nice little town, would love to go back sometime...

Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
Blue Grass Fever: My ma is a "hippie" and she would always mentioned Monterrey, California as "the place to be". So is Monterrey a hippie place?
Why don't you ask your mom?? If she's a hippie, then she should have some ideas.

No, Monterey is NOT a hippie town!! It is filled with military people -- the Defense Language Institute is there and the old Fort Ord. Lots of retired military, too.

I live in Santa Cruz, which as mentioned before, IS filled with hippie types. Me, coming of age during the Hippie generation, I even find it a bit too much here in Santa Cruz.

I also lived in Boulder, Colorado, and I agree that Ward definitely has more "hippies," although Boulder is definitely liberal -- but lots of the college kids actually are much more like yuppies -- and YES, lots of trust fund babies!!

Oregon still has some holdouts. Northern California, too (above San Francisco, not in San Francisco). I have an old friend who stayed a hippie and he lives in Willits. Aracata is like a flash-back to the sixties!

I don't know much about the south, but I'm not so sure about upstate New York. Maybe Ithaca -- that seems to have a number. Forget the town of Woodstock -- only trust fund hippies can live there.

Just look for liberal areas in the country -- that's probably your best gauge. Also, look at co-housing places (although you'd have to buy a house, and that can be expensive).

I could never get into the commune thing -- wasn't for me. I needed more privacy. Although I did do the hitch-hiking thing around Europe -- that was fun!

Good luck to you. I know there are enclaves all over -- take a cross-country trip and check it out -- that's what a "real" hippie would do!! Get on the road and be FREE!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 PM

353 posts, read 503,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Why don't you ask your mom?? If she's a hippie, then she should have some ideas.

No, Monterey is NOT a hippie town!! It is filled with military people -- the Defense Language Institute is there and the old Fort Ord. Lots of retired military, too.

I live in Santa Cruz, which as mentioned before, IS filled with hippie types. Me, coming of age during the Hippie generation, I even find it a bit too much here in Santa Cruz.

I also lived in Boulder, Colorado, and I agree that Ward definitely has more "hippies," although Boulder is definitely liberal -- but lots of the college kids actually are much more like yuppies -- and YES, lots of trust fund babies!!

Oregon still has some holdouts. Northern California, too (above San Francisco, not in San Francisco). I have an old friend who stayed a hippie and he lives in Willits. Aracata is like a flash-back to the sixties!

I don't know much about the south, but I'm not so sure about upstate New York. Maybe Ithaca -- that seems to have a number. Forget the town of Woodstock -- only trust fund hippies can live there.

Just look for liberal areas in the country -- that's probably your best gauge. Also, look at co-housing places (although you'd have to buy a house, and that can be expensive).

I could never get into the commune thing -- wasn't for me. I needed more privacy. Although I did do the hitch-hiking thing around Europe -- that was fun!

Good luck to you. I know there are enclaves all over -- take a cross-country trip and check it out -- that's what a "real" hippie would do!! Get on the road and be FREE!!!
A lot of people think that Boulder is really just a bunch of white, yuppie, closet conservatives. I went to CU and I would say that the student body--comprised of typically conservative Coloradans and yuppie out-of-staters--probably leans considerably to the right. College Republicans is the largest student organization on campus. Christian groups are very prominent on campus--probably fueled by a lot of kids from Denver and Colorado Springs.

If you're looking for hippie life in Colorado--good luck! But if you insist, Nederland, Ward, and maybe Durango would do the job.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,132 times
Default The Hippie Capital...

BISBEE, ARIZONA is a community filled with hippies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.