Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
What context are you using gnarly here? It's one of those words that can be used in the positive or negative sense.
TBH I don't actually know what gnarly means. I was just using stereotypical San Francisco speech since you said that SF had New England similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 02:03 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Northeastern Iowa has hills and Catholics, more politically moderate, grades into SW Wisconsin and the northwestern-most couple of counties of Illinois. Dubuque sometimes felt like it was next to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Quad Cities (Davenport/Rock Island/Moline etc.) are outposts of the greater Lakes/Rust Belt, not so very different from Erie PA, or Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse NY.
There's a few blocks in Dubuque you could confuse for Pennsylvania. See around here, for example. Rowhouses in every direction as you pan the camera. It's a shame Dubuque urban-renewed most of this into oblivion.

Edit: Davenport has less left, but it reminds me more of Saint Louis for some reason.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:36 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a few blocks in Dubuque you could confuse for Pennsylvania. See around here, for example. Rowhouses in every direction as you pan the camera. It's a shame Dubuque urban-renewed most of this into oblivion.
The leading photo here (in addition to the feature) could be Johnstown: Fenelon Place Elevator Company – World's shortest steepest elevator ride

Old 02-21-2017, 03:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Maryland.
States still want to be like Northeastern states in 2017? Lol

Last edited by KodeBlue; 02-21-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 03:47 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel like the Northeast does extend visually and arguably in other ways across the country. What I mean is that you can be in states not in the Northeast but still see many Northeastern elements in areas not considered Northeastern by anyone.

To me I find this in places like:
Cincinnati: Arguably as visually close to Pennsylvania as Ohio can get in a city environment. From the topography to the architecture, the Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky area has that Pennsylvania look that isn't associated with the Midwest.

South Side of Chicago: it has that gritty Rust Belt look with abandoned steel mills, plus the Calumet region has a Jerseyish character wherein forested areas can border industrialized areas and all can occupy the same area at once. Northwest Indiana (greater Chicago) has a look similar to South Jersey around Philly. Industrial Indiana in general has some Jersey traits in and of itself. On the Illinois side, you've got places like the South suburbs of Chicago that are very much like South Jersey suburbs of Philly. And in Indiana, Gary and East Chicago are eerily like Camden.

St. Louis: the rowhouses, and elevation changes outside of the city remind me of Philly and its piedmont fall line. The climate can also have a landlocked Mid-Atlantic feel with very hot summers and not so cold winters.

Michigan: This one is like Upstate New York without the mountains. It has that very forested "Northwoods" type feel juxtaposed with industry.

Any others?
Cincinnati has river valley hills; Pennsylvania has mountains, but many consider western PA to not be in the northeast ie Pittsburgh.

Any of the old industrial cities have similarities ie the Rust Belt. I'll give you Camden and Gary being alike but Camden is changing for the better; no such positive spill over into Gary as of yet.

Chicago is prairie flat, but you can say parts of Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Milwaukee etc all have similar characteristics with each other. The difference is the people in the Northeast v. Chicago/Midwest.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:34 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Cincinnati has river valley hills; Pennsylvania has mountains, but many consider western PA to not be in the northeast ie Pittsburgh.

Any of the old industrial cities have similarities ie the Rust Belt. I'll give you Camden and Gary being alike but Camden is changing for the better; no such positive spill over into Gary as of yet.

Chicago is prairie flat, but you can say parts of Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Milwaukee etc all have similar characteristics with each other. The difference is the people in the Northeast v. Chicago/Midwest.
Not sure that flatness is necessarily region specific when you say Chicago is prairie flat. South Jersey is pretty darn flat and I was using that as the reference point. After the fall line the Northeast gets Chicago flat quickly. I was referring to the post industrial landscape that Northwest Indiana/the Calumet shares with Jersey.

Also the Pittsburgh and Cincinnati reference was more about housing stock.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 02-21-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 04:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

Ok I'll take the bait. You mention Chicago - Midwest. As if a vs the East in people different? Is that Chicago in particular in the Midwest? (given your general attitude toward Chicagoans) and what is this difference in particular?

Actually, Chicago is closer to Eastern in could be Plopped down there? Then to the true Prarie areas it evolved on.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Michigan has the strongest "Yankee" influence of the Midwestern states. It's a gradual transition, from Upstate NY, to Michigan, to Wisconsin/Minnesota. Michigan seems to be a mid-point between Upstate NY and Upper Midwest.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:50 PM

626 posts, read 380,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Maryland.
OP is asking for places OUTSIDE the NE

Old 02-21-2017, 04:59 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Not sure that flatness is necessarily region specific when you say Chicago is prairie flat. South Jersey is pretty darn flat and I was using that as the reference point. After the fall line the Northeast gets Chicago flat quickly. I was referring to the post industrial landscape that Northwest Indiana/the Calumet shares with Jersey.
I get what your saying, south jersey is flat, the coastal plain vs. the vast prairie flatness of the Chicago area. But the Indiana/Calumet industrial landscape is the same as any other post industrial city/area/region ie Youngstown as much as Detroit.

When I see NW Indiana I don't think ''gee, this reminds me of Jersey." I don't see the unique connection to the Northeast U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.