Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
OK, having re-read this I see you were comparing South Jersey and NW Indiana. I guess I assumed you were comparing North Jersey given that it has a blue collar stereotype.

Still I'm not sure I would call South Side of Chicago and NW Indiana as "Northeast-like" - this area seems very quintessentially (rust belt) Midwest.
Well let's see how Chicago and NW Indiana have more characteristics reminiscent of the Philly area:

They both have more density than their respective states
They both are faster paced than the rest of their respective states
They both have a very industrial heritage (which yes the Northeast is known for especially the Mid-Atlantic portion)
They have higher concentrations of White ethnics (Italians, Irish, Poles, Eastern Europeans)
There is a lot of forested area juxtaposed with industrial remains (compare the Indiana National Lakeshore with the Pine Barrens)
They both have suburbs which show decay (Gary, Camden) while the main city has shifted from one industry to multiple

So I think that the NW/Calumet region shares more than a few similarities with the Philly metro.

Bonus: Both Indiana and New Jersey are known in their respective areas as the "armpit of America"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I honestly don't see many similarities between Gary IN and Camden NJ besides both being blighted small cities next to a big city. Camden is pretty friggin urban, while Gary is not.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I honestly don't see many similarities between Gary IN and Camden NJ besides both being blighted small cities next to a big city. Camden is pretty friggin urban, while Gary is not.
I don't see how Gary is not urban? Is your metric for urban just rowhouses? Those houses in Gary look like some areas of Chicago and even parts of Queens.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I don't see how Gary is not urban? Is your metric for urban just rowhouses? Those houses in Gary look like some areas of Chicago and even parts of Queens.
Camden, at 8,669 persons per square mile, is significantly denser than Gary at 1,610 persons per square mile. Camden also appears to be structurally denser, as the earlier streetview links show. This is just a few blocks from the convention center in Gary; Camden is a rowhouse city and although it has plenty of vacant lots, it really doesn't have neighborhoods that look like that.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Camden, at 8,669 persons per square mile, is significantly denser than Gary at 1,610 persons per square mile. Camden also appears to be structurally denser, as the earlier streetview links show. This is just a few blocks from the convention center in Gary; Camden is a rowhouse city and although it has plenty of vacant lots, it really doesn't have neighborhoods that look like that.
Density is only one aspect of urbanity. If this was the only metric, Detroit lost its urban status after lots of people left. People abandoning a city doesn't stop it being urban.

Although I would classify Gary as a suburb of Chicago myself I wouldn't say it isn't urban.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Density is only one aspect of urbanity. If this was the only metric, Detroit lost its urban status after lots of people left. People abandoning a city doesn't stop it being urban.

Although I would classify Gary as a suburb of Chicago myself I wouldn't say it isn't urban.
You are correct but that was the easiest aspect to compare since it was already brought up.

I've never been to Gary but just by poking around on Streetview, it doesn't seem particularly urban but I'd imagine that's largely due to abandonment over the years. Camden is lucky because being directly across the river from Philly, some of its problems are mitigated.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be just rowhouses. But detached single-family houses with front lawns are a suburban building typology. And I purposefully picked one of the oldest areas of Gary. Plenty of the city looks like this. Virtually nothing in the city was built out before 1900, with most of the growth between 1920 and 1960. The older neighborhoods are kind of streetcar suburbia, but most of the city is just straight up early automotive suburbia.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It doesn't have to be just rowhouses. But detached single-family houses with front lawns are a suburban building typology. And I purposefully picked one of the oldest areas of Gary. Plenty of the city looks like this. Virtually nothing in the city was built out before 1900, with most of the growth between 1920 and 1960. The older neighborhoods are kind of streetcar suburbia, but most of the city is just straight up early automotive suburbia.
Detached single family homes with front lawns make up the majority of the Chicago landscape in the city limits. I don't think that makes Chicago not urban.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:55 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Detached single family homes with front lawns make up the majority of the Chicago landscape in the city limits. I don't think that makes Chicago not urban.
And Chicago has areas that are suburban. So does NYC. So does Philly. Los Angeles, DC, etc.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:

Cincinnati: Arguably as visually close to Pennsylvania as Ohio can get in a city environment. From the topography to the architecture, the Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky area has that Pennsylvania look that isn't associated with the Midwest.
The ignorant masses like to say Cincinnati is Southern, and the stalwart SE Ohions insist it is solidy Midwestern (which I am strongly inclined to agree with).

But I feel like Cincinnati, in outward appearance, local accent/dialect, and general attitudes, could be plopped midway between Baltimore and NYC and no one would bat an eyelash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.