Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Generally, people who don't get very much. Which by many of his posts, you can tell he hasn't been out of New England all that much. I made plenty of trips to the Mid-Atlantic states when I lived in New England.
I live in New England and have made plenty of trips to the Mid Atlantic. This is my own personal preference, I wouldn't take a weekend getaway to the Mid Atlantic. It would have to be at least 3 or 4 days. Three or Four hours is my limit for a weekend getaway, usually shorter though. I like to be able to leave work maybe a little early and get to my destination for dinner or a late dinner. On Sunday I'd like be able to hang out a little instead of rushing home.

Again just personal preference, I'm not going to drive to the Jersey Shore (or that far up in Maine for that matter) get there at 10 or later on Friday night and have a nice Saturday then rush out Sunday morning. So I would say my weekend getaways would be mostly in New England, but extend to parts of NY State specifically NYC and the Adirondacks.

Last edited by The_General; 05-20-2017 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 11:53 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Generally, people who don't get very much. Which by many of his posts, you can tell he hasn't been out of New England all that much. I made plenty of trips to the Mid-Atlantic states when I lived in New England.
I live in NYS now and it's just true that more New Yorkers (and jersians) go up to New England for vacations than vice versa. Living in massachusetts for 18 years I never once heard of anyone going to the Jersey Shore or catskills. Most everyone I know from New Uorm or New Jersey goes to some New England destinations on a semi regular basis.
I think that tells you the relative quality of the vacation destinations.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I live in NYS now and it's just true that more New Yorkers (and jersians) go up to New England for vacations than vice versa. Living in massachusetts for 18 years I never once heard of anyone going to the Jersey Shore or catskills. Most everyone I know from New Uorm or New Jersey goes to some New England destinations on a semi regular basis.
You literally have no way of proving this. I don't know why you're sticking with it so hard.

I have no idea how many people from where I live go up to New England, and there's probably no way to really know, so I'm not about to start making s*it up. To be honest, I only personally know one family who regularly goes to Cape Cod for a week in the summer, otherwise no one that I know goes to New England for much at all, for vacations or weekends. I can't think of anyone else I know who decides to go north for trips. Most people I know go to NC (OBX), FL, or the Caribbean for vacations and to the Jersey Shore for weekends, because a lot of people have houses there. My family has made some vacations to Maine but that's because some of my maternal family is from MA and we have lots of family still living in New England. But I'm not about to claim that this anecdotal evidence means that more people from x come to my area than vice versa.

This forum is just laughable BS sometimes.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 PM

149 posts, read 154,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What state you from

Utica, NY. Lived in Brooklyn, Union, NJ and Somerset, NJ.

Been to 44 states and 90% major/medium size cities.

In my experiences, New England is often propped up, for no reason. I enjoy the region and it's environs, but holy hell it's overrated by people.

I've always struggled to understand why, and it's a real turnoff to the region. When you come on here and see people like btownboss's delusional posts and boosterism, it only adds to it.

I absolutely stick up for cities that are my favorites, that I am not from in the least. Places like Chicago, Seattle and Philadelphia are among my most favorite (along with London and Paris). I love Los Angeles too.

Lots of agendas on here.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
A lot of people living elsewhere like to hate on the Northeast for a variety of reasons - the weather (as if some cold and snow will break them), how the people are so "rude" - but I truly think it's one of the best areas of the country. I personally would take it over the South and basically every state/region in the middle any day (I need the ocean and those huge lakes just west of us don't cut it for me). I think the only area that does rival the Northeast, and may win depending on one's individual preferences, is the West Coast (but that is far too big a region to compare to the Northeast anyway, I would split it into basically PNW and Southern CA).

The Northeast is so compact and really we are all close to everything, even places outside the NE. My family has vacationed in southern Maine here and there (btw, very nice but yes the ocean is COLD), without bad traffic it's a 5 hour drive from me. DC is like 3.5-4 (wouldn't be as bad if traffic wasn't awful). My friends took a weekend trip to northern VA to see a concert last summer. We're close to a lot here. The Northeast is historic, is both very urban and very rural/empty/natural and anything in between, depending on where you are, has historic and charming towns with old classic downtowns and town centers, has unique and some very old architecture and few planned communities and subdivisions compared to the rest of the country, has four real seasons (and even my Southern CA friend really does call them "REAL" seasons haha), mountains, forests/woods, lakes, ocean beaches, bays and bay beaches, lagoons, swampland, etc. It's so beautifully green in the warm months and gets vibrant colors in the fall.

NY and Boston are so close, compared to most other large American cities, that their weekend getaway areas basically overlap, and I truly don't think that one little subregion/metro within our already little region is better than the other. It will come down to personal preference but for anyone to act like one is superior or people from x metro frequent y metro but people from y don't frequent x - it's just ridiculous. Most of this thread has been people squabbling over completely ridiculous cr*p, like I think Gerania said, like whose you know what is bigger.

Thank you.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
I see ton of CT, Mass, New Hampshire in plates on my way to Philly

Ditto.

I drive from Albany to NYC a lot on the NYS Thruway. It's absolutely littered with QC, ON, PA, NJ, MA, VT, NH and CT plates. So from personal experience, his post is wayyy off.

We're four hours from Philadelphia and four hours from Boston. Equal amounts of allure to both places. 90% of the draw is obviously NYC but the other two are great options.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
You literally have no way of proving this. I don't know why you're sticking with it so hard.

I have no idea how many people from where I live go up to New England, and there's probably no way to really know, so I'm not about to start making s*it up. To be honest, I only personally know one family who regularly goes to Cape Cod for a week in the summer, otherwise no one that I know goes to New England for much at all, for vacations or weekends. I can't think of anyone else I know who decides to go north for trips. Most people I know go to NC (OBX), FL, or the Caribbean for vacations and to the Jersey Shore for weekends, because a lot of people have houses there. My family has made some vacations to Maine but that's because some of my maternal family is from MA and we have lots of family still living in New England. But I'm not about to claim that this anecdotal evidence means that more people from x come to my area than vice versa.

It's from personal experience from knowing people in both places, while people on this forum from NE might have gone to the mid Atlantic there are a few people who have lived in Bodth places who have concurred.
F

Old 05-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

You do realize the population disparity between more quaint destinations in VT or NH compared to NJ, correct?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 PM

A very good friend of mine is from New Haven and other parts of CT. He moved to Philadelphia several years ago.

He has always told me the things he misses in CT, but the beaches in NJ are better (to him). He does have a bias against Boston though, but still. One awful anecdote of mine, but I don't know many from CT. Interestingly enough, he opted for Philadelphia over New York and Boston.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:

I have a cabin in the Adirondacks that I rent out. 90% of my clients are from NJ.

Honestly. And we often chat up because I schooled in Jersey and lived there, despite being from Upstate. Very familiar with it.

IMO, Upper New England is an extension of Upstate NY, or at least the Eastern part. I don't like Syracuse or Western NY. I don't like how flat it is primarily, or their sports teams, among other things. Even for someone like me, it feels kind of Midwestern in ways.

I love VT and NH is cool too, but I am not clamoring to get there on weekends when I literally live on the foothills of the Adirondacks, which is the same size as both of those states. Why do I need to leave? They just remind me of it. Especially in Autumn.

It's like someone from Boston going to Philadelphia for history, or vice versa.

We live in the Northeast, and it's residents are very provincial. Hell, even where I am from in Utica. A small city of 60,000 and it's split up into North, South, East and West. Each side is different in attitudes, looks and ethnics (typical working class Irish and Italian). The same vacation spots overlap the entire Northeast, so to debate over whether Boston, New York and even Philadelphia has the better options is beyond trite. Everyone wants to defend where they're from, whether it's a block, a neighborhood, a city or a state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.