Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:35 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Upstate NY and felt out of place the entire time I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:50 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
1. I felt so, and was so, out of place in San Diego. Didn't care for living in that area one bit.

2. I didn't fit in, per se, in the rural area I grew up in in the upper South, yet I didn't feel out of place there at the same time.

3. I feel out of place in L.A. and San Francisco, and yet those metropolises are so large that I can blend in at the same time.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I grew up in Upstate NY and felt out of place the entire time I lived there.
I had a similar experience, I grew up in Northern Ohio and felt out of place all the time. I moved to the South and now I feel like I belong. It's interesting how certain areas, even if one was raised there, are just not good fits.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
I felt out of place in Los Angeles. The whole time I was there, I felt uneasy; the whole city seemed to give off an unpleasant vibe. On par with the movie cliche, with the words "GET OUT" written in red paint on a cinder block wall. I'm not sure what exactly triggered the feeling . Just the overall vibe I got, I guess.

I was transiting through LA, rather than visiting: fly into LAX, travel on a combination of expressways (freeways) and surface streets, then sail out of Port of Long Beach for my cruise. Then the same things in reverse post-cruise. Even though I was traveling through the area for maybe 45 minutes each way, it was long enough to know that LA is not a place I'm welcome in.

Conversely, I felt right at home in New Orleans. It felt more like: "Come in, take the load off, just keep your wits about you."

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 06-27-2017 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
One of the only times I felt weirded out was when I flew into Springfield, MO and then drove to Mountain Home, AK for a few days to visit a friend. People seemed so religious and just off a bit, curious about us, etc in a judgy way. I didn't feel very welcome, I was happy when we left.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:05 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
My current home, Denver I can feel out of place sometimes. Work comes first to me and to many here it comes second - lot's of lazy people that are adrenaline junkies and drug attics. I can easily stick out as a sore thumb as I'm not heavily bearded with tattoos and overweight for a nearly 30 year old male.

I don't think I've felt more out of place in a city like Minneapolis though. That's a city where if you don't have a certain white bread skin type and act in a certain mild mannered fashion, the locals will judge you. Bunch of hicks up there, IMHO.

I also would say I wouldn't look the type to "fit in" necessarily in Dallas or Houston, every time I'm down there for work I seem to really relate well to the locals at business meetings. I like it down there overall.

My former home, Los Angeles I felt right as home. Which is funny because I know the city rubs so many people the wrong way and I'm complaining about 2 cities that people easily feel right at home in ;-)

Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Yes

I'm originally from Raleigh, NC. It's not a huge city, but it's not small either. I stopped in Bladenboro for lunch in rural Eastern NC on my way to the beach one time. I was getting the stare down from everyone in the restaurant. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but I suppose I stuck out.

I recently moved to Chicago. I felt out of place here for a while because of the hustle and bustle of a big city. I'm used to it now.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Just wondering how many people have ever felt extremely out of place anywhere. If so what area where they in and what made them feel out of place.
Colorado, for many reasons, including: very different culture, weird office/work environment, cold/Darwinian attitudes, very little variety and cultural richness (including thought, food, culinary, music), no issue with spending more than necessary on basically everything, no effort towards widening roads (will happily sit in traffic as it gets worse and worse and takes away more personal time), etc.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM

19,800 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Oh, DEFINITELY.

Alabama, 1973. I was a 19-year-old liberal agnostic Yankee in a town full of old Southern Baptist racists still fighting the Civil War.

Could not WAIT to leave!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,476,279 times
Rural parts of California and Texas. Yes, I've lived in the rural areas of both. I guess this applies to any rural area in the US for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.