Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:26 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
1. Florida (Miami/FTL/Tampa)
2. California
3. Puerto Rico
4. Colorado
5. New York (soley for NYC)

runner-up: Hawaii
Why is it necessary to say solely for NYC?

There is a whole world outside of New York City. Most states would kill to have something like the 6 million acre Adirondack Park or the beautiful and historic Hudson Valley or Niagara Falls.

Anyway, my top three states are:

1. New York
2. Virginia
3. Pennsylvania

The next two states 4 and 5, I am not sure. There are so many states I like, Florida, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, New Jersey, then there are the Upper Midwest states and a number of Western states, it is hard to narrow them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Here are my top five with the reasons I rank them as such:

Michigan: *Gorgeous* state, Midwest (+), somewhat progressive, surrounded by beautiful lakes, UP, Ann Arbor and University of Michigan. Too bad the state went red in the last election.
Illinois: Chicago. Chicago -- alone-- makes this a top state. Illinois doesn't really have much else going for it.
Wisconsin: Michigan v2, just dorkier, simpler, funnier.
California: Simply because it has to be here.
Alaska: Most momentous, beautiful state in the nation. Full stop.

Honorable mention:
Pennsylvania: The U.S.' Shire
Oregon and Washington: Put them together because they are the same state, Both gorgeous, varied and progressive.

Bonus... worst states.

Ohio: Duh, armpit of the U.S.
Alabama: Right?
Mississippi: Right.
Florida: I thought Bug Bunny sawed this place off to float alone in the Caribbean.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:31 AM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Mine are chosen for their uniqueness from each other and their natural beauty.

California
Massachusetts
Florida
Alaska
Arizona

Old 11-28-2017, 12:15 PM

6,631 posts, read 4,298,457 times
1. Alaska
2. Hawaii
3. Colorado
4. North Carolina
5. Washington

(ranking in terms of natural beauty)

Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
1. Massachusetts
2. Washington (State)
3. Illinois
4. Colorado
5. New York

Old 11-29-2017, 08:28 AM

939 posts, read 505,671 times
Surprised to see so much mention of Massachusetts- a lot of folks in the northern New England states would disagree. Best state of course can be looked at from a number of prisms. From a statistical standpoint referencing indexes tied to quality of life ratings, Mass is excellent. But I prefer a "real feel" measure. What it's like day-to-day getting from Point A to Point B over the vast majority of the state, government corruption, intrusion, etc... . All I can say is, no thanks!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Surprised to see so much mention of Massachusetts- a lot of folks in the northern New England states would disagree. Best state of course can be looked at from a number of prisms. From a statistical standpoint referencing indexes tied to quality of life ratings, Mass is excellent. But I prefer a "real feel" measure. What it's like day-to-day getting from Point A to Point B over the vast majority of the state, government corruption, intrusion, etc... . All I can say is, no thanks!
Massachusetts is perfect!!! What are you talkin about!!!! *Insert Boston accent and one swear per three words spoken*

No, it's not perfect. The budget balance is out of sorts, and the cost of living is out of control. Price p/sq ft. is up over $1000 in Boston neighborhoods, which is on par with Manhattan.

Having lived in a number of states, though, I can't get over the place. Boston is a small town with broad shoulders, and offers an incredible quality of life (despite the COL). It's constantly updating and reinventing itselfs, and really seems to be outpacing any major city in the North. The local economy continues to jolt forward as it leads the East in tech and biopharma, and paired with the hospitals, higher ed, engineering firms, etc. the private sector is spectacularly stable.

More importantly, access to those Norther New England states, the coast, Cape Cod and the Islands, NYC.. It all adds up to make the state feel incredibly unique. When we came back for a visit, we did Boston to Marblehead to Newburyport to Portsmouth, NH in a single day.. It's just loaded with things to do and see.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
not counting the obvious one, Alaska, west to east; Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota (toppest).

Old 11-29-2017, 08:08 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
With me being in MA, I have to disagree a bit. Extremely high housing costs to the point most people are priced out of home ownership, taxed into oblivion, very little diversity of thought/politics, and rough winters. This greatly drags down MA's quality of life. It has its merits in terms of health care, colleges, and American history. But there are many other states and regions, IMO, that have a better QOL than MA.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:22 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
You can live anywhere in the US ... choose your top 5.

Go.

My list, in order:
1) Maine
2) Michigan
3) New Hampshire
4) Tennessee
5) Upstate New York
1.Texas
2.Arizona
3. New Mexico
4.TN
5. Oklahoma or Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.