Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperMan View Post
How i compare wages and real estate cost among different states?
Go to bankrate.com and use their cost of living calculator. It works very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
For some reason it has alot of black people living around Washington DC.
And that is a problem? I'm not one of those "diversity is everything" folks, but black people are the same as anyone else. Some of my very best friends were/are black. My boss is a black woman, and she's THE BEST boss I have ever had in my entire life, bar none.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:07 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yea um about that...yea um...no.
Don't get me wrong, MD is a nice place. But if money's a factor, there's just nothing in particular (in my opinion) that stands out enough to make it a better choice than neighboring VA and NC, where one can often find cheaper housing and lifestyles.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
~200k population is okay though 150miles to real big though indeed ugly (judging from google street view) city Detroit is kind of long way.
Dont think "world class beaches" around there can match to florida, california, chicago or orvirginia beaches...

Right now i trying to think of a state, i leave choosing city for bit later.
Are you judging West Michigan's "world class beaches" against Florida, CA, Chicago based on googlemaps? Or have you actually been?

I've been to all. West Michigan's beaches win hands down. And no friggin salt in the air.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:33 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Are you judging West Michigan's "world class beaches" against Florida, CA, Chicago based on googlemaps? Or have you actually been?

I've been to all. West Michigan's beaches win hands down. And no friggin salt in the air.
Amen!
Plus no need to worry about sharks or the weird street people in Santa cruz, and the SF bay area.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Don't get me wrong, MD is a nice place. But if money's a factor, there's just nothing in particular (in my opinion) that stands out enough to make it a better choice than neighboring VA and NC, where one can often find cheaper housing and lifestyles.
Well i agree the DC burbs are way overpriced, but many expencive places are because of things such as the ocean or the chesapeake bay. Or because their location in relation to DC or Bmore, or the patomac river. There are definantly redeaming factors to Maryland that many people are oblivious to. But that's ok! I understand, and sorry for being a jerk

Old 03-21-2008, 05:45 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
Quote:
Help me to exclude 5 states that aren't worth living in compared to others and why you think so?

Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Wisconsin
I would personally exclude Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin. Several of these is because of lack of experience/knowledge about them. I grew up in Maryland and lived there until last year. Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina all offer great diversity - from Mountains to Ocean beaches. They have distinct seasons and have cities that offer employment and smaller towns that have a more historic feel. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 PM

140 posts, read 562,787 times
I love how all the states are northern. Are you, the OP, by any chance from a southern state. I disagree with almost every state on that list.

Illinois) When are people going to understand Illinois is NOT just Chicago. Illinois has quaint small towns and neat historical and geographical regions.

Indiana) Indiana is not just Indianapolis. I have a feeling that Gary, Ind somewhat influenced the decision to put that state on the list. Indiana is not as flat as some people would like to think, either. Southern Indiana is very rugged.

Maryland) I am going to have to agree with that one. I am sure MD has some wonderful areas, but Baltimore and DC don't seem very appealing IMO.

Michigan) As I am going on, I am realizing that the OP is locating not-so-desirable large cities (Detroit) and labelling the state that that city is in un-desirable. I vacation in Michigan, it is a very beautiful state. Mackinaw Island, Petoskey, Ann Arbor, are all very great places in Michigan. WHEN are people going to realize there is more to a state than just it's largest city?

Minnesota) You have GOT to be kidding me. Minneapolis/St. Paul is the best metropolitan area I have ever visited, but, Minnesota is not even close to just Mpls/St.Paul! The Boundary Waters Canoe area in the arrowhead is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited in my life. The state of Minnesota, with all the natural beauty, the lakes, forests, log homes, is in my opinon, one of the greatest states in this country.

NC) Can't really say a lot about NC.

Ohio) I have been to Ohio several times. Ohio may have three very large cities, but by no means is Ohio Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnatti. There is much more to states than their cities. Lake Erie and the areas surrounding Lake Erie are very cool. I think Dayton is a great city, and one of the best cities of that size I have ever visited. Ohio has a lot of natural beauty, as well. The Appalachian foothills touch the southern part of the state, and everyone knows the Appalachians are beautiful.

Pennsylvania) Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, again, two cities that dont have necessarily the best reputation... But, again, for the tenth or eleventh time, there is more to a state than its larger cities. I have only been to PA one time, and thought it was beautiful, especially the central part of the state in the Appalachians/or Adirondacks. One town I really love in PA is State College. Very quaint and incredibly low crime for a college town.

Virginia) I am going to say VA was put on here because of DC. I have never been to Virginia, but haven't really heard very many bad things about it. Roanoke and Richmond seem to be very decent cities, and the Appalachian Mountains shape the state and give it it's own unique look and feel.

Wisconsin) Another "Are You Kidding Me?" Wisconsin is a wonderful state. It is very similar to Minnesota, and I must admit Milwaukee is not the greatest city, but, Milwaukee is a whole 50 square miles while WI is... 70,000 square miles. This ignorance is really bothering me. One city does not dictate what a state is like. Wisconsin is beautiful.. The lakes, the cities, Green Bay, Platteville, MADISON, Eau Claire, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells, Wausau, I have been to each of these cities, all of which I would highly recommend. The only place in Wisconsin I have been that I would not recommend is Milwaukee, although the Zoo in MWK is very nice.

I can't really say ONE WHOLE STATE is not worth living in. That would be very ignorant, and quite frankly, dumb. Every state has its good areas, and bad. Some states have more bad than good, but to make one whole generalization that the whole state is not worth living in due to the reputation of the largest (er) cities is incredibly ignorant and naive. The OP needs to get out more.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
I don't think the OP meant for this thread to be offensive.

His English just seems a little bit rough. I don't think his word choice was what he actually meant. I don't think he's trying to imply that any of these states are "unworthy"...I think it's moreso that he's trying to narrow down his options.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I don't think the OP meant for this thread to be offensive.

His English just seems a little bit rough. I don't think his word choice was what he actually meant. I don't think he's trying to imply that any of these states are "unworthy"...I think it's moreso that he's trying to narrow down his options.
Go look at most of his other posts made, my bet is that it was intention to stir up a flame war, but it didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.