Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times

Advertisements

Still don't think they'll get it but recent buzz emphasizing dense, vibrant, urban plots with good public transportation would seem to favor the biggies, NYC, Chicago, maybe Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:07 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I didn’t see hip-hop in the RFP.
Trendiness isn't either and that was the subject of that side discussion.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Trendiness isn't either and that was the subject of that side discussion.
Then perhaps we should focus on the actual factors on Amazon’s list.

Let’s instead therefore consider talent, which is pretty much at the top of the Amazon’s “must haves.” Philly’s metro takes in 4 states, though no one around here seems to recognize Cecil County, MD as in Philly’s orbit. With feelers into PA, DE and NJ, Philly already draws talent from all 3 states. NYC and DC also do the same, but with a remarkably higher COL. Also, lots of smart, young people already live on the I95 corridor and like it. Enticing them to Philly or another 95 short-listed candidate seems an easier task compared with trying to draw them to metros a bit more isolated.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM

311 posts, read 313,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
They've got to find a "sunny" city to compete with the Bay Area for talent. Hence L.A. and Miami on the list.
I know a place where it's always sunny.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
and I forgot "warm". Since Seattle is perpetually cool (I was there in late June and it was in the 50's as highs when I was there) they need a yin to the yang (or yang to the yin)....

Seattle is overcast --> they need HQ2 sunny
Seattle is West Coast --> they need East Coast
Seattle is cool/cold --> they need warm/hot
Seattle is very white --> they need diverse

etc...

Balance.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:27 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,482 times
The lower COL is a definite advantage for both Philly & Pittsburgh as both also {unlike Aus/Nash/Indy/Col/Ral have good transit systems and are pedestrian friendly. Both are on the Eastern time zone, are well connected, and have good universities. Philly's biggest drawback is it's high crime rate which could inhibit many skilled workers willing to move there.

That said I REALLY hope that neither gets it and don't want to go to NJ or Chicago either. Regardless of which city is chosen, I don't want it going to any city that has offered obscene government bribes all of which applies to those cities.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
The lower COL is a definite advantage for both Philly & Pittsburgh as both also {unlike Aus/Nash/Indy/Col/Ral have good transit systems and are pedestrian friendly. Both are on the Eastern time zone, are well connected, and have good universities. Philly's biggest drawback is it's high crime rate which could inhibit many skilled workers willing to move there.

That said I REALLY hope that neither gets it and don't want to go to NJ or Chicago either. Regardless of which city is chosen, I don't want it going to any city that has offered obscene government bribes all of which applies to those cities.
It's the American way; get over it.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's the American way; get over it.
mooguy complains a lot about things. And other things.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Me, too and it's not LA or Miami.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
A discussion about a contending city's vulnerability to natural disasters is certainly worthy of conversation within this thread.

Amazon may or may not want to move to a city that is prone to a severe natural disaster in the coming years unless they feel confident that their host city has proper procedures in place to ensure safety for their workers and to minimize any down time they'd have as a result of the disaster. To be quite honest one of the many reasons they may be looking for a second headquarters is because despite Seattle assuring residents its prepared for "The Big One" (which will, in fact, be a big quake), Amazon may not want to take the risk of being out of operation for an extended period of time if and when the earthquake happens, and Seattle's leaders were wrong about their supposed preparations.

Miami was very nearly devastated only several months ago by a hurricane that thankfully weakened a bit and took a slight dogleg to spare it the worst of the storm. Is Miami equipped to get back onto its feet quickly IF a Category 5 storm with a strong storm surge takes direct aim at it? New Orleans assured its residents it was prepared for anything, too, pre-Katrina, and that city still hasn't fully recovered from the storm so many years later. Last I heard the Lower Ninth Ward was still a mess, which is embarrassing for a supposedly "prepared" city in a supposedly "wealthy" country.

Cities like Nashville, Columbus, and Pittsburgh, while small, offer a reasonable cost-of-living, convenient locations, AND also have the added advantage of rarely having to worry about natural disasters. Now I believe I heard somewhere that if the New Madrid Fault ever has "The Big One" that Memphis would be devastated, but I'm not sure if Nashville would also be affected. Perhaps a Nashvillian can comment on whether or not they have to worry about any seismic activities related to the New Madrid Fault. I know as a Pittsburgher not only do we not worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, or floods, but most regional blizzards also seem to miss us (early-2010 "Snowmageddon" notwithstanding). I'm sure Columbus can say the same. The Columbus "boosters" here will certainly argue otherwise (the way a certain Clevelander on here always brings up their superior high culture for about 10 paragraphs to gloat); however, I feel like Pittsburgh is a more "urban"-feeling city than Columbus overall.

I'd love to see Nashville, Pittsburgh, or Columbus get this, but I do believe it will likely end up in Atlanta (fine choice), Metro DC (hopefully not the sprawling mess that is NoVA), or Philadelphia (fine choice).
You Pittsburghers are always talking about that! I've heard it for 60 years, at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.