Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 08:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,292,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I didn't realize that educated people don't like having their families within a day trip. Things like Friends and Family are for poor people apparently
Oh, so people from the east and Midwest don't constantly move to California, regardless of their financial or family situation? I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
You constantly bring down Pittsburgh. You do not live there. And from my understanding you have NEVER lived there, but had family who lived there and would visit. And visit infrequently at that, and from previous posts most of your time was spent in the far out burbs of Moon Twp. Which in many ways is not reflective of Pittsburgh as a whole, and surely does not reflect the character rich region.

I know you live in CO. Which is fine. It is fine to prefer where you live over other places. But to be constantly nodding down Pittsburgh across nearly every thread is getting old. TBH.

But time and time again you always try to bring it down. In basically any silly way you can. Whats your deal? Can you not take it that CMU is one of the top talent pools in the nation? Do you have an issue with the architecture? The topography? The fact that Denver is loosing in our City Data poll, so you bring up the most silly attacks against Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh is isolated. But so is Denver. And Pittsburgh to be frank is less isolated than Denver. So to be honest I am sick of the comparisons across every thread on this website.
What an analysis! I grew up in Pittsburgh, went to college there and worked there for a short time after I graduated. I do have family there, have had family there continuously since the 1870s. Visit infrequently, LOL! Far out Moon Township, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Moon Township is where the airport is. It's 23 minutes and 16 miles from Moon to "The Point".

What do you mean "bring down"? People in Pittsburgh have always said "We don't have tornadoes, or blizzards, or hurricanes, or this, or that, or whatever". I've heard that since my childhood. True, they don't get a lot of natural disasters, but that's not much different from most of the country. My father and two of my cousins went to CMU. I have no issue with the school, nor have I said anything negative about it.

Most people in Denver don't want Amazon to locate there. The governor said it would be a sense of relief if Amazon didn't locate here. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/2...on-hq2-denver/

I take it you're the one who left the snarky rep comment.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:36 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Oh, so people from the east and Midwest don't constantly move to California, regardless of their financial or family situation? I didn't know that.

I know I would never move there. The COL is way overrated for what you get in return. No thanks.

Amazon is not moving there. If you think it is. Then I would suggest reading some business strategy books.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What an analysis! I grew up in Pittsburgh, went to college there and worked there for a short time after I graduated. I do have family there, have had family there continuously since the 1870s. Visit infrequently, LOL! Far out Moon Township, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Moon Township is where the airport is. It's 23 minutes and 16 miles from Moon to "The Point".

What do you mean "bring down"? People in Pittsburgh have always said "We don't have tornadoes, or blizzards, or hurricanes, or this, or that, or whatever". I've heard that since my childhood. True, they don't get a lot of natural disasters, but that's not much different from most of the country. My father and two of my cousins went to CMU. I have no issue with the school.

I don't give a rip about this stupid poll. Most people in Denver don't want Amazon to locate there. The governor said it would be a sense of relief if Amazon didn't locate here. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/2...on-hq2-denver/

I take it you're the one who left the snarky rep comment, and now you're angry that I could point out some weather issues they've had.
Well that is refreshing you have family who went to CMU and grew up in Pittsburgh. Clearly you lack hometown pride. And I left no such comment. I just note a theme from you constantly bringing down Pittsburgh. That is all. DO YOU HONESTLY THINK I CARE ABOUT WEATHER LADY? Give me a break. LMAO

Old 01-25-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes L.A. suffers from horrible outdated stereotypes. Even though one of the largest transit measures in history was just passed and soon L.A. will expand its already vast transit system, people back East tend to keep up 1980's smog stereotypes and that L.A. is a sprawling mess.

It isn't. It is the most densifying area in the country and the whole basin is more dense than the whole NY area I read. Downtown is a vibrant walkable area and there are many different neighborhoods that are fully walkable. Even the suburbs are walkable. I have a friend in Manhattan Beach and the area around his place is row after row of tightly knit shops, almost like what you see in San Francisco.

It's okay though, those in the know, they know that L.A. is one of the best cities in the world. One of the best climates, more to do than anyplace I know, and still a land of opportunity.

I don't think L.A. will get Amazon HQ2 but it's not because of lack of transit or lack of talent. The talent pool is deep and arguably better than any other city on the list, even Boston. I'd put a Cal Tech graduate up against an MIT graduate anyday. UCLA itself has so many students and many want to stay in L.A.

L.A. meets every requirement on the list but it suffers from the same problem that Seattle and Miami do, it's a bit remote from the rest of the US. For that reason I see that perhaps Atlanta would be the best fit.
I agree that Seattle, and even Los Angeles are not ideally situated in relation to every other place in the United States. I just haven't heard an adequate explanation as to why this would matter for corporate headquarters jobs.

AMAZON HQ2 LOS ANGELES 2020:

Executive 1: Okay, big meeting tomorrow, we need to see if we're on track with our new product line, Christmas is in three months.

Executive 2: Great, I'll set up the teleconference with our people in Dallas and Philadelphia.

Executive 1: No, I need them here in person.

Executive 2: Okay....not sure why we would need that, but I guess we could set it up. Kind of short notice for four hour flights.

Executive 1: Oh man, F&*$ it, we should have picked Indianapolis for this stupid headquarters....arrrghh....

No man, I just can't see that scenario unfolding.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I agree that Seattle, and even Los Angeles are not ideally situated in relation to every other place in the United States. I just haven't heard an adequate explanation as to why this would matter for corporate headquarters jobs.

Executive 1: Okay, big meeting tomorrow, we need to see if we're on track with our new product line, Christmas is in three months.

Executive 2: Great, I'll set up the teleconference with our people in Dallas and Philadelphia.

Executive 2: Okay....not sure why we would need that, but I guess we could set it up. Kind of short notice for four hour flights.

Executive 1: Oh man, F&*$ it, we should have picked Indianapolis for this stupid headquarters....arrrghh....

As I said. Go read a business strategy book. Amazon is not moving to L.A. Like you are delusional. Hell I would put money on Miami over L.A. Get over yourself and have a good day. (Typical CA arrogance/aloofness).

Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:

It looks like you'll have to take it up with the people who came up with a list 80% east of the Mississippi, 15% between the Rocies an d Mississippi and 5% West Coast.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
As I said. Go read a business strategy book. Amazon is not moving to L.A.
Not an argument.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Not an argument.

Your CA arrogance has you fixated on Indianapolis as the base of your argument which is just hysterical. There are far more cities of importance on the East Coast than SoCal offers. I hate to burst your bubble. And the majority of them are in the Top 20

I have no problems with L.A. It is just when people from their think they are the center of the universe and thereby defy all logic. Visiting there I have encountered it on NUMEROUS occasions.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:45 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Boeing didn't choose Dallas. They went with Chicago.
I corrected it to Chicago. I knew it but my fingers got ahead of my mind. Yes I was shocked when they chose Chicago over Dallas but it made sense for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.