Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:28 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
How many companies just said we're gonna open up a 2nd headquarters out of the blue?
None that I can think of, but Google has an office in Pittsburgh, etc. Was that to do business in Europe? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
The housing cost in L.A is absolutely ridiculous, and for the price premium you do not even live in an urban environment that offers transit access, but still have to rely on a car for most day to day. :
Looks like reality is at odds with tired east coast L.A. stereotypes from 1989, according to this study which ranks Los Angeles behind only New York and San Francisco for the number of jobs accessible by transit:

Accessibility Observatory: Research

This is from 2014, BEFORE the Expo and Gold line extensions.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:43 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
LA has horrible transit commute shares though.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
About the second HQ. Let's think of another Seattle example HQ that in this case relocated instead of made a duplicate: Boeing.

Boeing wanted better access to the Eastern seaboard for executives. Being in Seattle is kind of removed from everywhere. It's far to the Bos-Was corridor. It's far to the Midwest. It's far to Atlanta and the SE. It doesn't have a lot of really good connections airport wise although Alaska airlines has it as its hub. Logistically, Seattle just doesn't make good sense as a headquarters for a global company whose business is logistics.

In Boeing's case the top contenders ended up being Dallas and Chicago and Chicago got the nod. So I don't think that the Eastern TZ is the main requirement. It's "can we have a week of meetings this week and not have to waste two days time for most of the employees to get here and back (day there, day back) from around the country. If you have HQ in Seattle, you waste a lot of time traveling from the Eastern seaboard.

So either excellent airport access (Atlanta, DFW, or Chicago) or excellent accessibility (Bos/NYC/Newark/Philly/DC/MD/VA) would seem to be decent picks.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Looks like reality is at odds with tired east coast L.A. stereotypes from 1989, according to this study which ranks Los Angeles behind only New York and San Francisco for the number of jobs accessible by transit:

Accessibility Observatory: Research

This is from 2014, BEFORE the Expo and Gold line extensions.
Yes L.A. suffers from horrible outdated stereotypes. Even though one of the largest transit measures in history was just passed and soon L.A. will expand its already vast transit system, people back East tend to keep up 1980's smog stereotypes and that L.A. is a sprawling mess.

It isn't. It is the most densifying area in the country and the whole basin is more dense than the whole NY area I read. Downtown is a vibrant walkable area and there are many different neighborhoods that are fully walkable. Even the suburbs are walkable. I have a friend in Manhattan Beach and the area around his place is row after row of tightly knit shops, almost like what you see in San Francisco.

It's okay though, those in the know, they know that L.A. is one of the best cities in the world. One of the best climates, more to do than anyplace I know, and still a land of opportunity.

I don't think L.A. will get Amazon HQ2 but it's not because of lack of transit or lack of talent. The talent pool is deep and arguably better than any other city on the list, even Boston. I'd put a Cal Tech graduate up against an MIT graduate anyday. UCLA itself has so many students and many want to stay in L.A.

L.A. meets every requirement on the list but it suffers from the same problem that Seattle and Miami do, it's a bit remote from the rest of the US. For that reason I see that perhaps Atlanta would be the best fit.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
If there was an example of a west coast tech company moving east for the specific reason of being able to be at work for a few hours while people in Europe are, this might be a persuasive point. I can't think of any examples where we have evidence of this.

We might also say that if someone has enough on the ball to get one of these HQ2 jobs, they would be just as inclined to move to a city like Los Angeles than to stay home.
I didn't realize that educated people don't like having their families within a day trip. Things like Friends and Family are for poor people apparently

Old 01-25-2018, 07:58 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Boeing didn't choose Dallas. They went with Chicago.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
To the person who left me the snarky rep comment to this post "And has there been one?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You Pittsburghers are always talking about that! I've heard it for 60 years, at least!
WRT "AND also have the added advantage of rarely having to worry about natural disasters." The answer is "yes". There was a big tornado in 1985 that people in my Facebook groups are still talking about, some more in 1998 and again in 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_E...rnado_outbreak
NWS confirms 4 tornadoes touched down in western Pennsylvania | WPXI
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...1-1985-1/32123

Also "Snowmagedden" (sp?)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-25-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
To the person who left me the snarky rep comment to this post (And has there been one?)

WRT "AND also have the added advantage of rarely having to worry about natural disasters." The answer is "yes". There was a big tornado in 1985 that people in my Facebook groups are still talking about, some more in 1998 and again in 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_E...rnado_outbreak
NWS confirms 4 tornadoes touched down in western Pennsylvania | WPXI
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...1-1985-1/32123

Also "Snowmagedden" (sp?)

You constantly bring down Pittsburgh. You do not live there. And from my understanding you have NEVER lived there, but had family who lived there and would visit. And visit infrequently at that, and from previous posts most of your time was spent in the far out burbs of Moon Twp. Which in many ways is not reflective of Pittsburgh as a whole, and surely does not reflect the character rich region.

I know you live in CO. Which is fine. It is fine to prefer where you live over other places. But to be constantly nodding down Pittsburgh across nearly every thread is getting old. TBH.

But time and time again you always try to bring it down. In basically any silly way you can. Whats your deal? Can you not take it that CMU is one of the top talent pools in the nation? Do you have an issue with the architecture? The topography? The fact that Denver is loosing in our City Data poll, so you bring up the most silly attacks against Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh is isolated. But so is Denver. And Pittsburgh to be frank is less isolated than Denver. So to be honest I am sick of the comparisons across every thread on this website.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
We might also say that if someone has enough on the ball to get one of these HQ2 jobs, they would be just as inclined to move to a city like Los Angeles than to stay home.
I here’s plenty of tech talent on the east coast that are happy where they are. I think you over estimate LA’s appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.