Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM

173 posts, read 198,701 times

Advertisements

^
It seems to me that the article is just taking an educated guess (just like most of the others). However, I also think you and some others are overestimating the housing costs and cost of living as an issue - we are talking about Amazon Headquarters - for most who will be working there, cost of housing is a non-issue. If anything knocks those cities out as the front runners, it will be an unwillingness to offer massive incentives that some other cities have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave120 View Post
^
It seems to me that the article is just taking an educated guess (just like most of the others). However, I also think you and some others are overestimating the housing costs and cost of living as an issue - we are talking about Amazon Headquarters - for most who will be working there, cost of housing is a non-issue. If anything knocks those cities out as the front runners, it will be an unwillingness to offer massive incentives that some other cities have.
I beg to differ. If housing were as overestimated as you seem to think, SF would have probably been considered. Also, not everyone working for Amazon is a software engineer bringing in 200 a year. Also, Amazon actually does care about its public image even on a local level. They are well-aware of the effect they have had on housing and traffic for the general public of Seattle. They don’t want a Seattle 2.0.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:01 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
This totally ignores COL and housing realities.
You should see the number of cranes in the air in the Washington DC area. There are no housing issues. Development in the DC area has been booming the last 15 years. Transit also expands options and opportunity in the DC area as well. Lower cost of living areas in DC are much closer to the city center than in other places.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You should see the number of cranes in the air in the Washington DC area. There are no housing issues. Development in the DC area has been booming the last 15 years. Transit also expands options and opportunity in the DC area as well. Lower cost of living areas in DC are much closer to the city center than in other places.
DC's public transit is great by US standards, but it's still not that great. Chicago, NYC, Boston, and Newark have equally good or better transit. NYC, Chicago, and Boston definitely do. Newark is underrated in every way. It may not have the actual subway system that DC does, but I don't think people realize it has its own Penn station that connects with Amtrak; PATH subway for 24/7 access to Jersey City, Hoboken, and Manhattan; and New Jersey Transit for buses and light rail/subways. It has a dense, urban street grid already. People can say Newark is up-and-coming, but too slow, but they don't really realize what's actually going on in Newark if they're saying this. There are a lot of construction projects downtown. PATH plans to extend its Newark line through the neighborhoods and connect to EWR. Not only are there several residential buildings already built and under construction, but the food and entertainment scene is rapidly improving. I have friends in NYC that were offered raises to transfer to the Newark offices. From their apartments, commuting out to Newark was very difficult so they said no, but businesses are already opening secondary offices in downtown Newark. And Amazon already has Audible in downtown Newark.

Newark is already a lower cost of living area than DC. Beautiful suburbs are just a few minutes away and easily accessible via public transportation as well. If Amazon workers want to be in a city already gentrified with more amenities, commuting from Hoboken, Jersey City, or Manhattan is extremely easy on PATH. But for Amazon, Newark provides much cheaper land to build on.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,832 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...canadian-dream

This issue will def be a huge plus for Toronto.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,832 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.e8fbf6226c69

Quote:
Amazon has quietly made rights for and acceptance of gay and transgender people part of its criteria in choosing a second headquarters, according to two people familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk freely.
Quote:
In another city, an Amazon executive groaned at the mention of proposed legislation in Georgia that would restrict funding for same-sex adoption, according to another person who attended the meeting between the company and state and local officials.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Atlanta was basically eliminated with the whole NRA thing.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
This is exactly what I've been saying about the progressive cities in conservative states. Atlanta, Austin, Columbus, Dallas, Indy, Nashville, and Raleigh are not in progressive states. Amazon stands for too many liberal policies that those state governments will refuse to implement. Even if they can have a diverse and liberal populace in the exact city they choose, the state governments are the monsters hiding under the bed waiting to destroy the civil rights of minorities. Georgia, Ohio, Texas, Indiana, Tennessee, and North Carolina are NOT liberal enough to please Amazon and its workers. Why would someone that enjoys liberal policies of Seattle voluntarily move to a state that refuses to respect their civil rights, whereas they can just stay in Seattle and enjoy being accepted by society?

Everyone keeps mentioning Atlanta and Austin as frontrunners, but I think they're absolutely out based on the state government.

Boston, Chicago, Denver, LA, Miami, Montgomery County, Newark, NYC, Northern VA, Philly, Pittsburgh, Toronto and DC are left.

Take off Denver and LA for being too west coast when Seattle is already HQ1.

Take off Miami for abysmal public transit.

I doubt they'll go internationally.

You're left with Boston, Chicago, Montgomery County, Newark, NYC, Northern VA, Philly, Pittsburgh, DC.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:10 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is exactly what I've been saying about the progressive cities in conservative states. Atlanta, Austin, Columbus, Dallas, Indy, Nashville, and Raleigh are not in progressive states. Amazon stands for too many liberal policies that those state governments will refuse to implement. Even if they can have a diverse and liberal populace in the exact city they choose, the state governments are the monsters hiding under the bed waiting to destroy the civil rights of minorities. Georgia, Ohio, Texas, Indiana, Tennessee, and North Carolina are NOT liberal enough to please Amazon and its workers. Why would someone that enjoys liberal policies of Seattle voluntarily move to a state that refuses to respect their civil rights, whereas they can just stay in Seattle and enjoy being accepted by society?

Everyone keeps mentioning Atlanta and Austin as frontrunners, but I think they're absolutely out based on the state government.

Boston, Chicago, Denver, LA, Miami, Montgomery County, Newark, NYC, Northern VA, Philly, Pittsburgh, Toronto and DC are left.

Take off Denver and LA for being too west coast when Seattle is already HQ1.

Take off Miami for abysmal public transit.

I doubt they'll go internationally.

You're left with Boston, Chicago, Montgomery County, Newark, NYC, Northern VA, Philly, Pittsburgh, DC.
Yep, this is the point I was making earlier in this thread.

I could be wrong but I just don’t see them going anywhere in Georgia, North Carolina, etc. A lot of these big tech corporations are pretty elitist, there’s no way they’d go to a red state no matter how liberal a city within that state maybe.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep, this is the point I was making earlier in this thread.

I could be wrong but I just don’t see them going anywhere in Georgia, North Carolina, etc. A lot of these big tech corporations are pretty elitist, there’s no way they’d go to a red state no matter how liberal a city within that state maybe.
On the surface, it's already a very unlikely situation that a liberal company would move its liberal populace to a conservative stuff. But it goes deeper than that with Bezos being an outspoken opponent of Trump. Moving Amazon to a low-tax red state would fuel Trump's ego and the egos of the conservative Republicans of low-tax red states. I highly doubt Bezos will give Trump the satisfaction of opening such an important HQ in a state that voted for Trump. The one exception is PA. It's not a red state. It's a purple state with two extremely deep blue cities. The investment in Pittsburgh or Philly would increase the blueness of the state, if Bezos wants to get THAT political about it. Trump outspokenly hates the political representatives of NJ, NY, and MA, and he can't keep himself from badmouthing Chicago at every chance he gets. Bezos is a pretty political guy. I don't think he'll skip over the political ramifications of his decision, and I could definitely see his choice for HQ2 having a somewhat important political motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.