Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:14 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont think its an issue when used on its own. I do think its meant as a jab when its compared with the "sunbelt" though. Sun gives you happiness and vitamin D. Rust gives you giant eyesores and tetanus. You're only comparing both when making the point to why the Sunbelt is better.

Definitely can understand the frustration when it's used to label people though. It's the same thing with the Bible Belt. "Oh of course they did that, it's the Bible Belt after all." No way to spin that sentence into a positive when using "rust."
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I admit to being jealous of my Cleveland friends when they tell me about the happenings in their city. It is puzzling as to why Cleveland did not make Amazon's list.
Because in their minds, Cleveland is still looked at as a city that's viewed as an old, unhip, uncool city with a bleeding to dying population plus they feel that there's no Top 10 research university or college in Cleveland. Also, Cleveland still has that Rust Belt (I hate that term) stigma, and everybody knows that you don't think about going or building anything in "The Rust Belt." People still think LeBron is crazy for leaving Miami and going back to Cleveland.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 02-03-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 07:38 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,013,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
To be honest, as much as I think the media gets an unfair bad rap in this current climate we're in, I do think they have a huge hand in creating a very inaccurate picture of The Rust Belt as all "white working class" people who are uneducated and work in factories and plants.

Watching CNN and MSNBC, the term is only used when describing the things I mentioned above, it only reinforces those stereotypes that aren't true, no group is monolithic.
Remind you much of the term, Bible Belt?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Remind you much of the term, Bible Belt?
My point exactly. It's all in a name with most people. That's why I don't like the term "The Rust Belt" because it's pejorative. It's never talked about in positive, it's looked at negatively just about every time.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm from California and I've never understood what rust belt meant. I always wondered if it was because people's cars rusted faster there because of salting roads for snow. I just always assumed it had something to do with people's cars rusting faster there - like here, cars rust faster if you live at the coast because of the salt from the ocean.

I'm 62 and have lived all but 6 years of my life on the west coast, so I'm just chiming in to say not everybody has any idea what rust belt is supposed to even mean. And I was never curious enough to look to see if it meant anything other than people's cars rusting faster LOL. I never thought of it as being more negative than weather-related issues that caused rust. Never thought of it being derogatory towards anyone who lived there.

Nobody likes to be made fun of, or to be stereotyped, though, I get that. California is one of the favorite targets out there, and most people are wrong when they stereotype it/us.

But, at least when California gets stereotyped it's positive stereotyped when it's places like Cleveland, Baltimore or Detroit it's the worst of the worst stereotypes.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
My point exactly. It's all in a name with most people. That's why I don't like the term "The Rust Belt" because it's pejorative. It's never talked about in positive, it's looked at negatively just about every time.
There are exceptions...me, for example. Rust Belt cities are my favorites.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Ohio needs a James Taylor song thou to boost us up. In my mind I am gone to Cleveland. I don't cannot see the Rust Belt, all I see is sunshine. Come on JT write us a song.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
There are exceptions...me, for example. Rust Belt cities are my favorites.
Mine too

Pretty much most of my all-time favorite cities are in that region that is known as the "Rust Belt".

I like to post the photos I've taken around and in the cities on social media and have people guess where they were taken. Inevitably they always guess anywhere else. I'm doing my part to de-stigmatize the region...it's just a bit of a downer that so many people are shocked that the pictures of the gorgeous landscapes and such are from the "Rust Belt".

Old 02-06-2018, 02:52 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I dont think its an issue when used on its own. I do think its meant as a jab when its compared with the "sunbelt" though. Sun gives you happiness and vitamin D. Rust gives you giant eyesores and tetanus. You're only comparing both when making the point to why the Sunbelt is better.
Sun also gives you skin cancer and premature aging.

Compare pale white folks living in, say, the UK, or Germany, to those living in Arizona or Florida. The folks in the UK/Germany will look a LOT better relative to age. My cousins from LA area are about the same age as my family (from NE US and W. Europe), yet we all look younger, with better skin and in part, it's from less sun exposure.

Granted, I like the sun too, but if you're pale, it's guaranteed to make you look older.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:34 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
[/b]

But, at least when California gets stereotyped it's positive stereotyped when it's places like Cleveland, Baltimore or Detroit it's the worst of the worst stereotypes.
Eh... I'm gonna disagree. I think these days a large chunk of the population thinks of California as a soulless, corporate, materialistic, big-government, PC, liberal heckhole. It seems like the "cool" states these days that really don't have a lot of negative stereotypes are moreso Colorado, Washington, and Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.