Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:54 PM

62 posts, read 311,043 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Two questions:

1.) I'd love to know which cities in the US you think contain the most bookworm intellectual types per capita, and where intellectual pursuits color/somewhat dominate the local culture. To be clear, I DON'T mean what cities have the most degree holders--that information is listed in this year's "smartest cities" lists, but those lists just show which places have the highest numbers of degree holders. Many people get their degrees, go into business and never pick up a book again if they don't have to. I mean, what cities/places do you think are home to the most passionate, lifelong intellectual junkies per capita?

Several people have suggested that Ithaca NY is the winner. Does anyone care to challenge that and nominate a different city?

2.) What region of the US do you think has the most bookworms per capita - Do you think that there are more intellectual, life-long bookworm types in the Northeast than in any other part of the country, and if so, is it due to the preponderance of Ivy League universities in that region? Several of my friends have said that West Coast intellectuals don't count as true, hardcore book junkies, because even though they have lots of degrees, they're always out riding their bikes and snowboarding because of the beautiful West Coast weather, so they don't really stay inside and read that often, whereas people in the Northeast are holed up in their houses for half of each year during snow season, and have no choice but to spend their time reading. Some people have also said that they think the area with the fewest life-long bookworm intellectuals is the Midwest and South. This is not my belief, but I'd like to know if you'd care to challenge my friends' assumptions, or explain your reasoning if you agree with them. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
"Bookworm cities" in my experience:
Boston
Portland (OR)
Seattle
San Francisco
Paris

Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Not sure reading books indicates intellectualism

For ex., many smart young financiers spend 80hrs/wk analyzing info re: economy, markets, various cos., etc as they consider their various financial bets.....they prob rarely read printed newspapers, magazines or books anymore....but they are reading stuff on various computer screens w/real-time data and various reports/articles, etc; chatting via email w/colleagues in NYC/Greenwich/SF/LA/Chic/London, etc; are chatting on Bluetooth w/colleagues while driving to/from office; meeting w/colleagues over drinks/dinner to discuss business, etc etc....intellectual interactions can take many forms, depending upon one's industry

In an increasingly global, virtual world, suspect many of most "intellectual" guys are workaholics (many of whom had high GPAs at leading colleges in various quant majors, not fuzzy liberal arts majors) who spend many hours in front of computer screens in suburban SiliconValley or in office towers in MidtownManhattan...or working their laptops/Blackberries anywhere...and many tend to view liberal arts stuff like reading fiction or discussing movies, art, etc as intellectually lightweight....but to each his own

Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Good lord, you are so unbelievably and predictably dull. I can't imagine the misery of living in a world so completely driven by the ephemeral 'market' that one would treat as suspect the appreciation of art and literature.

Perhaps if you paid a bit more attention to such 'intellectually lightweight' pursuits as literature, your posts would be a bit more coherent and less of a chore to read. For all of your supposed knowledge (or, rather, blind worship) of the financial world (which I find suspect), you cannot write your way out of a paper bag.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Good lord, you are so unbelievably and predictably dull. I can't imagine the misery of living in a world so completely driven by the ephemeral 'market' that one would treat as suspect the appreciation of art and literature.
I was just thinking the same thing. To me some of the smartest and most intellectual people are just regular people like professors. i guess the most intellectual places would be places with major universities (Evansville with Northwestern for example). That "hsw" tries to equate intellectual with greedy hedge fund pirates and other cut throat individuals whose goal is not to be intellectual but to make money.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
Seattle.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
You might want to check on library circulation figures or book store sales. These statistics would help in your search. It is my bet that most publishers already know the answer.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. To me some of the smartest and most intellectual people are just regular people like professors. i guess the most intellectual places would be places with major universities (Evansville with Northwestern for example). That "hsw" tries to equate intellectual with greedy hedge fund pirates and other cut throat individuals whose goal is not to be intellectual but to make money.
Remember, in hsw's world, the only people who matter and have value are the hedgies.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
What are the most intellectual places (full of life-long bookworm-types) in the US?

Our house. Everyone here is a nerdy terdy with their face in a book, an advanced degree, and an insane (not even useful) thirst for acquiring more knowledge even if it applies to nothing practical in their lives.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:51 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I think you mean Evanston. Evansville is in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.