Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Sacramento is the most obvious choice.
Sacramento isn’t cheap anymore, the median home price in Sacramento metro is around $410K currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:03 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Phoenix, Tuscon, Sedona, or Flagstaff.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 PM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
It's possible that Boise ID could work. Not sure about proximity to other cities, though.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:32 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
It’s really not like people make it out to be, let’s not be over dramatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I third Salt Lake City. And no, your not being a Mormon shouldn't discourage you from looking into it more seriously.
Maybe Salt Lake City itself is a tad less LDS but if you think it doesn't dominate Utah's politics or have an effect on the populace you have your head in the sand.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Maybe Salt Lake City itself is a tad less LDS but if you think it doesn't dominate Utah's politics or have an effect on the populace you have your head in the sand.
It’s not like you’re going to get publicly stoned if you aren’t LDS

Old 03-06-2018, 08:47 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
I think this depends more on the weather than anything else.

Sacramento is lovely city, but prob a little out of your price range.

Reno, is driving distance, has tons of natural beauty, and while hit and miss has some pretty nice areas. I overall dig Reno, and no state income tax is great.

Boise, ID, is basically out of reasonable driving range, but the flights aren't very expensive **Full disclosure** I grew up here so I'm a bit of a homer, but I think it's the nicest city of it's size/class in the country.

SLC has cheap flights and honestly the LDS people won't bite, I swear. (I'm Catholic not LDS, and have never had an issue with them, generally good people) Prices are going up though but it has an incredible economy.

Arizona will be out of driving range, but Phoenix has very cheap flights.

Vegas will also be out of driving range but has cheap flights.

Spokane is kind of the black sheep economy isn't as good, but the city is improving. It has the biggest rust belt vib you might be used to. Also the greenest of the options.

All of these places are very dry and can get hot in the summer so that will be a big change coming from PA.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:21 AM

134 posts, read 96,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think this depends more on the weather than anything else.

Sacramento is lovely city, but prob a little out of your price range.

Reno, is driving distance, has tons of natural beauty, and while hit and miss has some pretty nice areas. I overall dig Reno, and no state income tax is great.

Boise, ID, is basically out of reasonable driving range, but the flights aren't very expensive **Full disclosure** I grew up here so I'm a bit of a homer, but I think it's the nicest city of it's size/class in the country.

SLC has cheap flights and honestly the LDS people won't bite, I swear. (I'm Catholic not LDS, and have never had an issue with them, generally good people) Prices are going up though but it has an incredible economy.

Arizona will be out of driving range, but Phoenix has very cheap flights.

Vegas will also be out of driving range but has cheap flights.

Spokane is kind of the black sheep economy isn't as good, but the city is improving. It has the biggest rust belt vib you might be used to. Also the greenest of the options.

All of these places are very dry and can get hot in the summer so that will be a big change coming from PA.
Great info, thanks for sharing! Will look into these places.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:41 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Salt Lake City is roughly 50% LDS, and of that 50%, there are many who are not practicing. While I would not encourage a non-LDS person to move to many parts of Utah, Salt Lake City is different. While state politics are strongly influenced by the LDS Church, Salt Lake City is not. 70% of Mormons are Republican, and the state legislature reflects this. Salt Lake City itself, on the other hand, has not had a Republican mayor in over 40 years. Our current mayor, also a Democrat, is an openly-Lesbian woman who is married to her partner. Does that sound like an LDS-dominated city to you? Don't accuse me of having my head in the sand. That could not be further from the truth.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-06-2018 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 10:30 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Albuquerque is probably too far from San Jose but it fits most of your needs. Southwest Airlines can get you to San Jose easily enough.

What I'm looking for:

- Safe neighborhoods -- you have many to choose from -- choose wisely
- Quality education -- Rio Rancho schools are better than Albuquerque in general. There are private academies. Rio Rancho is the 3rd largest city in NM and located on the west side of ABQ
- Family fun venues, activities, programs -- Museums, lots of outdoor activities, Balloon Fiesta, Isotopes, National Hispanic Cultural Center, Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
- Larger houses within 250-350K budget -- no problem in that range
- Affordable health, food, dining, etc. -- COL is lower than most places
- In or close to a mid-size / larger city -- Smallish city but there is about 1 million population including Santa Fe an hour to the north
- Close to a bigger airport -- ABQ Sunport -- not a major hub but it works
- Diverse (we are a professional, educated Latino family) -- three distinct cultures plus an international influence and the home of UNM

Old 03-06-2018, 02:24 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Sacramento isn’t cheap anymore, the median home price in Sacramento metro is around $410K currently.
It's not impossible though.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...iz_crid/0_mmm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.