Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Too Expensive 23 16.67%
Too Much Snow 5 3.62%
Too Cold 12 8.70%
Too Hot 5 3.62%
Too Humid 3 2.17%
Too Urban 1 0.72%
Too Rural 4 2.90%
Too Liberal 11 7.97%
Too Conservative 23 16.67%
Too Religious 3 2.17%
Not Religious Enough 1 0.72%
No Sense of Community 1 0.72%
Not compatible with the local prevalent culture 5 3.62%
Not enough fun things to do 4 2.90%
Don't like the scenery 4 2.90%
Don't like the food 0 0%
Hard to live without a car / not walkable enough 9 6.52%
Too hard to live with a car 1 0.72%
Don't have the right jobs 7 5.07%
Pay is too low 0 0%
Weird laws (i.e. blue laws, cannabis, etc.) 0 0%
Not on the coast 2 1.45%
On the coast 0 0%
High natural disaster risk 2 1.45%
Too much traffic 1 0.72%
Hard to get in and out of (due to isolation, lack of airports/highways, etc.) 0 0%
People are too stuck up 4 2.90%
People are too judgemental 1 0.72%
Not a good place for a single person (of your gender) to find a mate 1 0.72%
Other 5 3.62%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:59 AM

74 posts, read 73,225 times

Advertisements

I don't drive, so just to be able to function I need to have a walkable area with good public transit. Even if I had a car, though, I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I had to rely on a car. The idea of driving for coffee or to get milk when I run out just makes me feel eugh...I would hate that. And having young kids, I would also hate not to be able to just walk out the front door with them and head to the park/store/library. I think I would feel trapped in my house.

All other concerns are less important to me, but I also wouldn't want to live somewhere too religious or too rural. I also need to be near (within an hour's travel) an international airport with direct flights to Europe, actually that's a pretty big deal breaker...my parents need to be able to visit their grandkids and us the other way without layovers and too long flights (for various medical reasons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Too expensive

Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Call me crazy, but I believe Democrats are out of their minds for supporting sanctuary cities and illegal immigration.

They do not make any city in America more desirable.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
IMO, the 2016 presidential election was a referendum on human decency, and, for me, a dealbreaker is having to live among a critical mass of people who saw fit to ignore or accept how disgusting Trump is and vote for him anyway. That is in no way an endorsement of any other candidate in that election, nor a condemnation of Republicans generally.
Yeah I agree. Both Clinton and Trump are horrible people. But some one has to win.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:25 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Weather can be a big dealbreaker. I would never live someplace like Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston or Buffalo!!! Never.

I would PREFER to not live in too liberal of an area but I could still live someplace like Austin, Denver, etc if I had to, perhaps not with the California or New York kind of yuppie liberals though. Also I would find it hard to mvoe someplace where I don't know anyone.

Also would not move to an area where English is not the predominant language and where American culture doesn't predominate, like Miami or South Texas. A place like this would also have too many cultural differences to surmount, and most likely have a lot of crime and drugs and would be hard to find a mate given cultural differences, etc.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
I voted for Too Liberal. I have witnessed the destructive cycle my whole life. The COL and taxes skyrocket once the Far Left libs move in and take over. They have ruined Pittsburgh in less than 10 years. The city was better when it was run by moderates.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Weather can be a big dealbreaker. I would never live someplace like Chicago, Minneapolis, Boston or Buffalo!!! Never.

I would PREFER to not live in too liberal of an area but I could still live someplace like Austin, Denver, etc if I had to, perhaps not with the California or New York kind of yuppie liberals though. Also I would find it hard to mvoe someplace where I don't know anyone.

Also would not move to an area where English is not the predominant language and where American culture doesn't predominate, like Miami or South Texas. A place like this would also have too many cultural differences to surmount, and most likely have a lot of crime and drugs and would be hard to find a mate given cultural differences, etc.

I'm not even gonna go into this too much, but I want to point out that drugs are everywhere, including white suburbia.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Call me crazy, but I believe Democrats are out of their minds for supporting sanctuary cities and illegal immigration.

They do not make any city in America more desirable.
What city do you live in?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Oh there it is!

I picked scenery. It was hard though as a lot of these apply.

I'm glued to hills and/or mountains. I am really not happy in flat land areas. Specifically, I love the Appalachians. Though the Cascades would be a close second.
I picked "scenery" too. I mean, other factors would also come into play but I absolutely will not live in what I consider to be an ugly area. Life's too short for that and I am willing and able to pay for a view out my windows and a drive through the area that's pleasing to my eye.

And it doesn't have to be ocean front or with a view of snow capped mountains, though either would be great. It just has to be pleasant, relaxing, aesthetically pleasing to me. Not just my view, the region in general.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Definitely "Too Expensive" for me. It just affects too many areas of one's life and quality of life if your dollar is being devalued.

Interesting. As of now, tied with "Too Expensive" is "Too Conservative". If that's a person's #1 dealbreaker (weather it's "too conservative" OR "too liberal"), the problem is YOU, not the area. I'm a Conservative right now living in the most liberal state in the nation (MA) and I have no problem finding my niche'. My permanent home is in NC, a pretty moderate state. Conservatives and Liberals generally get along well there. The reverse can be true as well. You either embrace "diversity (of thought)" or you don't. Given the poll so far and some of the posts I see, I'm sure my take won't go over well, lol. But there is a ton of irony, hypocrisy, and hilarity in the political affiliation of an area's residents being the #1 dealbreaker. One irony is, some of the most EXPENSIVE places in the nation are almost always the most LIBERAL. Many Liberal policies drive up cost of living big-time. Again, a real head-scratcher. You can't make this stuff up, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.