Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh uses the term "The City" meaning anywhere in the City of Pittsburgh proper. "Downtown" is used for the Central Business District. "Pittsburgh" is anywhere in Allegheny County., Some will try to even use "Pittsburgh" as a synonym for all of Western Pennsylvania.

I'm sorry if you live in an outer county you DO NOT live in Pittsburgh. You live in Pittsburgh Metro, Outside of Pittsburgh, Western PA, but you DO NOT live in Pittsburgh.

NYC - Inside NYC "The City" means Manhattan, Outside of the 5 Boroughs and "The City" means anywhere in NYC proper.

Philly - Center City and Downtown are used interchangeably among natives, transplants are strictly Center City. Outside Philadelphia, people either say Center City or Philly. Philly uses the term "City" to juxtapose "County", the term "County" is used for any of the collar counties that surround the city of Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:25 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope. SF is widely referred to as 'the City' in Northern California-even in neighboring metro areas like Sacramento, there's no mistaking where 'the city' is. This goes back to the mid 1800s so it's not a recent thing.
you're right. And Herb Caen is turning over in his grave bc the other guy made light of the fact that SF is "the city". Acually it's not; SF is "The City"

Old 03-20-2018, 11:35 AM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
So how about the residents that actually live in Chicago? If they are going downtown do they call it downtown or do they call it the city?
I do somewhat reflexively, but most people don't. Not from here obviously though.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
D.C. is referred to as "the city" also locally, or just simply the District.

Everything else is viewed as the "suburbs" here, even if it is actually urban.
My friend lives in Arlington and refers to D.C. as "The District". She grew up 20 miles from Manhattan, though, so "the city" for D.C. probably doesn't come easy.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh uses the term "The City" meaning anywhere in the City of Pittsburgh proper. "Downtown" is used for the Central Business District. "Pittsburgh" is anywhere in Allegheny County., Some will try to even use "Pittsburgh" as a synonym for all of Western Pennsylvania.

I'm sorry if you live in an outer county you DO NOT live in Pittsburgh. You live in Pittsburgh Metro, Outside of Pittsburgh, Western PA, but you DO NOT live in Pittsburgh.

NYC - Inside NYC "The City" means Manhattan, Outside of the 5 Boroughs and "The City" means anywhere in NYC proper.

Philly - Center City and Downtown are used interchangeably among natives, transplants are strictly Center City. Outside Philadelphia, people either say Center City or Philly. Philly uses the term "City" to juxtapose "County", the term "County" is used for any of the collar counties that surround the city of Philadelphia.
I don't know. I live in NJ, and I only refer to Manhattan as "The City". If I am going to Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, or Staten Island, I refer to them that way.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:55 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'm a transplant and I use Center City and "downtown" interchangeably. So do a lot of other people I know who aren't natives also. Although ironically, I travel "uptown" on the train to get to "downtown".

Old 03-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
In the time I've lived here, I've never heard "Los Angeles" said out loud unless I leave the city and go elsewhere. It's usually just LA.

It also seems (from my observations) when people say they're "going to LA" they're referencing anywhere west of DTLA (unless it's specifically West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or Santa Monica).

I've also noticed for a lot of people, "LA" and "downtown LA" mean the same thing.
I know that the SFV is not considered "LA" even though it is in the city limits (with the exception of Burbank and the city of San Fernando). "LA" generally only refers to the parts of the city in the LA Basin

Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's the Dialect Prevalence Map from 2013. The question was What is "The City" to you?

Here is a heat map for New York. The redder the area, the more prevalent that the respondent replied NYC. The bluer the area means that locals there refer to another place as "The City"

my image
That map has a lot of information. You can see all the NY transplants in Florida and The Carolinas. You can also clearly see Houston and Columbus, OH on this map for NY which stood out to me as interesting since they seem different from the rest of their States and I’ve never known either of those places to be particularly big on NY transplants, or have any sort of connection with us.

On the flipside of things you can clearly see Chicago and San Francisco being the 2 other big ones throughout their regions. Seattle as well to a lesser extent. And somewhere in Minnesota that doesn’t look like the Twin Cities so IDK what that is.
In PA you can see a lot of NY but a small bubble around Philly that goes into South Jersey.

So it looks like Seattle and Philly are 2 more answers to OPs question. I think I see a little bit for Boston too.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:35 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
That map has a lot of information. You can see all the NY transplants in Florida and The Carolinas. You can also clearly see Houston and Columbus, OH on this map for NY which stood out to me as interesting since they seem different from the rest of their States and I’ve never known either of those places to be particularly big on NY transplants, or have any sort of connection with us.

On the flipside of things you can clearly see Chicago and San Francisco being the 2 other big ones throughout their regions. Seattle as well to a lesser extent. And somewhere in Minnesota that doesn’t look like the Twin Cities so IDK what that is.
In PA you can see a lot of NY but a small bubble around Philly that goes into South Jersey.

So it looks like Seattle and Philly are 2 more answers to OPs question. I think I see a little bit for Boston too.
In Boston "the city" is never used.
CBD is considered Boston, as in between the South and North Ends. People in South Boston or Hyde Park will say "I am going to Boston" if they are going to the Common.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What about Baltimore? Do they say it to differentiate from Baltimore County?
"The City" and "The County" that's pretty much it. I wonder if St Louis doesn't it the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.