Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 12:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That what I mean, it is a pretty universal difference in pronunciation between US and Canada.
Ah...gotcha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 02:00 PM

481 posts, read 422,574 times
Not really, at least for me around the Great Lakes. Canadians I have met sound just like their American friends across the water. When talking about the stereotypical Canadian accent, I have trouble distinguishing that from rural northern-midwestern US citizens.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Just today I was looking for YouTube videos on how to kill earwigs. I found one by a buy in Canada, and I thought of this thread. He was so obviously Canadian. The way he kept referring to the earwigs he caught as "fellas," even. "Let's see how many of these fellas I got..."

There really isn't even one spoken sentence that a Canadian utters, that isn't obviously different from an American.

And even if an American is from Austin, TX, as a previous poster who claims not to be able to tell the difference -- I just don't see how someone can claim that.

Even in Austin, TX, which I also know well - if someone from Austin made a video about earwigs in the garden, they wouldn't say, "Oh, lets see how many of these fellas I caught today, eh?"

You'd have to be completely dense not to notice that these people were not only not from TX, but that they also didn't fit any norm from any US television show you'd ever seen --- unless you weren't originally from the US.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Very interesting topic. It got me to thinking and wondering.

I think most white Americans are unable to tell a Canadian from another white American based solely on their accents - or their looks, for that matter.

I think most American accents from all regions of the Lower 48 States - excluding the South - talk and sound like they could be from Canada rather than the American South. Most people from say, Omaha and San Diego talk with an "accent" that sounds more like they could be from, say, Regina, Saskatchewan or Vancouver, British Colombia than being from, say, Colombia, South Carolina or Montgomery, Alabama.
No offense, but I think you have a tin ear!

Old 11-03-2018, 09:39 PM

587 posts, read 423,507 times
Noticeably different, but I have an ear to pick up linguistic differences.
I have relatives in Canada & have been there many times.

The main things are the vowels.
"OU" words - more rounded and less drawn-out
"A"- flatter and more clipped

Also Canadians pronounce "T" sharply whereas Americans often drop the "T" in words like cenTer, renTal

Canadians often make a statement but sounds like a question (not to the extent as Australians though) a lilt in speech.
Americans often ask a question, but it sounds like a statement (ends with a down note).
The "style" of speech is just different, sometimes it is hard to explain but it is just "different" (though the Southern accent deviates more from the General American)

Also Americans OVERUSE "uh-huh" and other sounds like "mm h mm"
Apparently Canadians are not likely to murmur those things (I would say the rest of the Anglosphere are not inclined to murmur those- mainly Americans)

To the OP- watch videos of American newscasts vs Canadian newscasts, the differences are there.

Accents are fascinating!

Last edited by krosser100; 11-03-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2018, 09:45 PM

587 posts, read 423,507 times
Should I say the differences are also clear when you bring in the race card?

Canadian-born Blacks in Toronto have a COMPLETELY different accent from African-American Vernacular.

Me as an Asian-American, I find my California accent is SUBTLY different from Canadian-born-Asians. Subtly I say because I think Canadian-born-Asians generally do not have as strong of the "stereotypical Canada" accent as the Whites there?

Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 AM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
I work in an organization that has Canadians spending part of the year with us. For the most part, it is hard to tell the difference but some words are dead give-aways, such as "about" or "been" and a few others. I don't hear them say "eh", which I have heard a lot when I have been in Canada.

Living in Houston and having grown up near the Canadian border, some locals say that I have a bit of a Canadian accent. I, of course, don't think I do, but I have gotten this remark several times.

Conversely, Canadians have told me they can pick out Americans fairly easily by our frequent use of the word "huh" (it's like our version of "eh")

Old 11-04-2018, 01:23 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Yes, you can tell them apart. Canadians say 'aboat' or 'aboot' instead of about and end their sentences with 'eh'. Canadians from Quebec are obviously even easier to tell apart because of their French accents.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:47 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I would love to do an experiment and put 13 people in a room, 1 person each from say, Seattle, San Diego, Boise, Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, DC, Syracuse, Toronto, Regina and Vancouver, and have each person read out loud a paragraph in a book in front of 100 people and have each one guess which 3 are the Canadians based on their accent. I would bet my next social security check that no more than 10 out of those 100 people would be able to corectly guess which 3 are from Canada.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Should I say the differences are also clear when you bring in the race card?

Canadian-born Blacks in Toronto have a COMPLETELY different accent from African-American Vernacular.

Me as an Asian-American, I find my California accent is SUBTLY different from Canadian-born-Asians. Subtly I say because I think Canadian-born-Asians generally do not have as strong of the "stereotypical Canada" accent as the Whites there?
All the Asian Canadians I know that were born here, speak exactly the same as any other person born here. You can't tell they're Asian over the phone for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.