Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:14 PM

367 posts, read 420,675 times

Advertisements

It's not really possible to buy a stick built home on as little as half acre anywhere in the Western states for under 100K, right now, starting from W. South Dakota and West from there.
One may see real estate listings but it's 100% going to be some major issue with the home (water issue, total fixer, meth lab, mold, unpermitted, etc). May be few legit homes in NM.
At the same time, there're quite a few homes on large lots to chose from in the eastern half of the country.

Half acre is a small lot size for out-of-town home....why is land so expensive in the West?
Is it the climate? Plenty of cold winters, snow, extremely hot or extremely rainy/overcast climates in the West.
Is it scenic views? Plenty of homes are located in dusty deserts, steppes, no forest, mountains or water body anywhere really close.
Lack of natural hazards? Plenty of homes (most!) are in earthquake, wildfire or flash flooding zones.
Clean environment? Not everywhere West for sure.
Medical care is pretty horrendous here, it can't be the attraction.
Amenities, infrastructure? Rural homes in the middle of nowhere with 1.5 hour drive to civilization are similarly priced.
Most of rural homes in the West are at risk of ending up without water/needing new super-expensive well, water table is 100s of feet below and water is often bad.
Why in the world are land and home prices so high all over Western states? Can't figure out what's the attraction here, unless you're somewhere right in a very scenic area.
Is it the lack of bugs??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
You obviously haven't looked at the San Luis Valley in CO. 10 acres for $6200, 36 acres for $12,500, or 400 acres for $160,000. Of course, there is that pesky issue with water...

Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 PM

20,859 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Mountains and other scenery.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:47 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
"Why in the world are land and home prices so high all over Western states?"
demand is high, supply is not.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
And you can buy 5,000SF in Nye County with power for $4500.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
You obviously haven't looked at the San Luis Valley in CO. 10 acres for $6200, 36 acres for $12,500, or 400 acres for $160,000. Of course, there is that pesky issue with water...
I'm talking about not bare land (yes, one can get cheap one in the desert and no water) or mobile homes....about stick built homes, on buildable land, on a well. It'll cost $$$$$ to put a house on the land here and develop the lot. Well alone will run 30K. (and building permit alone can cost more than the land)

Last edited by Usrname; 12-06-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Why in the world are land and home prices so high all over Western states?"
demand is high, supply is not.
My question exactly why is demand so high, considering all I stated...it was not nearly as high before, at least going by the pricing. Rate of value increase has been extremely high in the West since recession.

What's the attraction and why so many "go West" and ready to pay these prices (and live on small lots or in crapshacks/nickname for CA homes), for living environment that seems to be not much better than what's in the East, except for lack of mosquitos and ticks?

Last edited by Usrname; 12-06-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Mountains and other scenery.
Most of the the homes in the West aren't going to be right near outstanding scenery....but quite a drive away, often in traffic. Mass attraction to mountains...why now?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
My question exactly why is demand so high, considering all I stated...it was not nearly as high before, at least going by the pricing. Rate of value increase has been extremely high in the West, since recession.

What's the attraction and why so many "go West" and ready to pay these prices (and live on small lots or in crapshacks/nickname for CA homes), for living environment that seems to be not much better than what's in the East, except lack of mosquitos and ticks?
There are plenty of places in the East that are just as expensive i.e. DC, NYC, Boston. May I ask where you're from?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
There are plenty of places in the East that are just as expensive i.e. DC, NYC, Boston. May I ask where you're from?
I'm talking about mean price statewide and regionwide.
There's drastic East-West price gap.
And for the same price, I can get a house on than 25 times larger parcel in Eastern states, in the Northeast (New England), Midwest, or the South (and better quality house at the same time). Not focusing on few very expensive spots like SF or NYC, these are special cases.

Of course there'll be expensive cities everywhere, even in 3rd world countries. I live in CA, had lived in most major US cities including NYC and various rural areas, a few states, both West and East, mostly West.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-06-2018 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.