Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 04:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
We get it, you love Wisconsin. Look Madison is great but it's debatable whether it's even in the top 3 in the Big 10.
I've lived in several Big Ten states....as far as the football experience....IMO, nothing comes close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 04:28 PM

105 posts, read 94,662 times
I've been to almost half of Big 10 stadiums on game day (6 + a B1G Championship in Indianapolis), and I hope to attend each within the next few years.

Best game day atmosphere was definitely UofM in Ann Arbor (been there twice).

Second best was Wisconsin, followed by MSU and OSU tied for third. Two worst are UIUC (where I attended) and Purdue. OSU may have been similar to Wisconsin but our experience was a bit worsened by rowdy fans... My group had beer poured on us multiple times... I still plan to go back!

Anyway, I definitely want to go to a Nebraska and Penn State game as I think they could rival Michigan.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:45 PM

255 posts, read 159,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I've lived in several Big Ten states....as far as the football experience....IMO, nothing comes close.
There are at least 4 other Big 10 schools/programs with as much to offer on game day as Wisconsin. The difference? Those 4 have a history of being good before the 1990s. This also contributes to the traditions and history of being the best college town on Saturdays. This is something Wisconsin is severely behind the likes of Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan and Nebraska.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
I've been to almost half of Big 10 stadiums on game day (6 + a B1G Championship in Indianapolis), and I hope to attend each within the next few years.

Second best was Wisconsin, followed by MSU and OSU tied for third. Two worst are UIUC (where I attended) and Purdue. OSU may have been similar to Wisconsin but our experience was a bit worsened by rowdy fans... My group had beer poured on us multiple times... I still plan to go back!

Anyway, I definitely want to go to a Nebraska and Penn State game as I think they could rival Michigan.
Osu fans are the worst.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 PM

255 posts, read 159,868 times
Quote:

Dont think I could agree more with this for the Big 10... spot on!
Dont think I could agree more with this for the Big 10... spot on!

Old 09-16-2019, 05:50 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,103 times
Quote:

I'm also trying to make it to all of the BIG Ten stadiums, but I only get to one a year since I'm on the West Coast, so I'm on a slower time frame. I'm a Wolverine fan, so I can't give an unbiased opinion on Ann Arbor. Some years I go back to Ann Arbor rather than a road game.

I've had an awesome time at every Michigan away game I've been to, even Northwestern and Purdue. Schools tend to show up for the Michigan game, even when Michigan isn't that great, so the atmosphere tends to be good. The same schools might not have as good of an atmosphere if it were a MAC team in town. I've been to 7/14 Big Ten Stadiums, will hit up my 8th next month when I go to Illinois.

Other teams I've been to non-Michigan games at:
LSU
Rice
Texas
Texas A&M
USC

Of these, LSU had the best atmosphere, Rice had the worst, and the other 3 were good but not as good as LSU. The caveat is the Texas game I went to was against a cupcake when Texas finished top-5, so a better opponent may have upped the atmosphere (or if it had been 20-30 degrees cooler that day).

Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:

I was generally thinking that most of the Big Ten schools would fit with the OP's criteria. My guess is that a few of them are in some combination of too large of metro areas and not enough spirit (Maryland, Rutgers, possibly Northwestern and Minnesota) or might not care enough about football games (like you had mentioned Illinois and Purdue; I'm guessing Indiana might also fall under that category.) Columbus is a bit too big, but it's home to a blue blood school, so they can get away with it.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
I'm a big fan of Wisconsin's Jump Around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgY2n06328

Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I think the college towns in places where College football is all the state has (no pro sports team, few or no major cities, etc.) For example Lincoln, Nebraska. Nebraska lives and breathes Huskers football. It feels like the place shuts down outside of football season. Also I watched that game against UC Boulder; Huskers fans took over Folsom Field and turned it red.
They sure did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
There are some truly laughable selections on that SI list. Columbia MO is a great college town, but their football is average at best, and has declined a lot with their move to the SEC. They lost all of their regional rivalries, and their fans just aren't that passionate.

Same for Boulder.

Madison, Austin, and College Station are all deserving entries based on my experience.
For Boulder, I think it's just the general "coolness" of the town rather than the football.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
They sure did!

For Boulder, I think it's just the general "coolness" of the town rather than the football.
Boulder is an example of a once "big time" environment that is a ghost of what it once was. When the Buffs were elite and filling up Folsom it was a great environment. Ralphie running the field is incredible to see live. The crowds were always wild because they could drink beer. And the "coolness" of the town and the mountains just topped it off.

Like many pro towns, when the college team drops off, the enthusiasm drops off and gets focused on the pro team if they are any good.

However, any college team that gets real good usually has a great environment while they are good.

Manhattan, Kansas was incredible when K-State was elite about 20 or so years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.