Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 PM

512 posts, read 442,715 times

Advertisements

I see so many threads from individuals from North East (NY, NJ, CT) who are tired of the cold, high taxes, etc. wanting to move South. But lately, when I read the NE forums, I see more and more people missing the NE and are looking to move back. Many haven't been able acclimate to the Southern slower paced lifestyle, including getting used to the heat, and making new friends wasn't as easy as some would have expected.

As I am getting closer to retirement, I too have been exploring the possibility of moving back to NE. Although I live in VA and do love it here, so I will probably stay here as the cost of living is so much better and the climate isn't as harsh. Although the last summer it was very hot, almost the entire summer. And I do love snow, but we don't much of it in Northern VA. So I think I could deal with the weather up north, but paying high taxes and dealing with the high COL, that's another story. Still, I do miss the New England Coastal and small quaint towns. Maybe once I retire, renting a place in a coastal town for two or three months during the summer would be a good solution.

Just wanted to see if any other "Northerners" have "buyers remorse" and/or are thinking about moving back "home".

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,815 times
Everyone I know here in NC from NY or NJ can't afford the real estate up there.. You also have all the dirty cops and retired criminals who have been going to FL for decades..

Old 01-01-2019, 01:07 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I see so many threads from individuals from North East (NY, NJ, CT) who are tired of the cold, high taxes, etc. wanting to move South. But lately, when I read the NE forums, I see more and more people missing the NE and are looking to move back. Many haven't been able acclimate to the Southern slower paced lifestyle, including getting used to the heat, and making new friends wasn't as easy as some would have expected.

As I am getting closer to retirement, I too have been exploring the possibility of moving back to NE. Although I live in VA and do love it here, so I will probably stay here as the cost of living is so much better and the climate isn't as harsh. Although the last summer it was very hot, almost the entire summer. And I do love snow, but we don't much of it in Northern VA. So I think I could deal with the weather up north, but paying high taxes and dealing with the high COL, that's another story. Still, I do miss the New England Coastal and small quaint towns. Maybe once I retire, renting a place in a coastal town for two or three months during the summer would be a good solution.

Just wanted to see if any other "Northerners" have "buyers remorse" and/or are thinking about moving back "home".

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Considering NY alone lost 50k in 2018, it doesn't seem like many are making that move. NOVA is barely "down south".

Old 01-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Considering NY alone lost 50k in 2018, it doesn't seem like many are making that move. NOVA is barely "down south".
Right, I didn't mean to imply NOVA is "down south". The only area that "feels" Southern to me in VA is Richmond. But the point I was trying to make is I do miss some aspects of New England. Especially quick drive to the beach and small quaint towns.

Interesting about NY losing 50k people in 2018 alone. I read recently that since 2010, NY lost around 1.2m people. Although I'm not sure how true that is. Even if some do move back, it doesn't appear that NY's population will increase any time soon. At least not without immigration.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:19 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I was going to say, you aren’t living in the South if in Northern Virginia. It’s like a cleaner NJ.

Last edited by Heel82; 01-01-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 02:24 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I was got to say, you aren’t living in the South it in Virginia. It’s like a cleaner NJ.
That depends on where you are in Virginia. Much of VA geographically is still culturally Southern. The thing is that relatively few people live in those areas.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:26 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
It's a widespread phenomenon here in Florida. They're called "halfbackers" who move down here thinking it's going to be all that, only to realize it's really not. Then rather than move back home choose a more moderate location climate/location-wise in states like GA, SC or NC. In my opinion it's indicative of Americans in general, operating from one extreme to the other...with little regard for moderation.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:50 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Guilty. I'm from Chicago, moved to Atlanta and then moved back to Chicago. I much prefer the North with the change of seasons and a real winter w/ snow. I was miserable down south with the never ending heat/humidity. Plus, it never felt like home. Much happier now that I'm back North.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That depends on where you are in Virginia. Much of VA geographically is still culturally Southern. The thing is that relatively few people live in those areas.
I live in Northern VA, aprox. 20 miles from DC. So no, I'm not in the "South" but mid-Atlantic area. But you're right, NOVA is different from the rest of VA. Yrs. ago I used to date someone from Fredricksburg, which is about an hr. south, and he used to refer to NOVA like it was another state. Since I live in the DC Metro area, my transition from North was easy. However, when I recently visited Richmond, I think I would have difficulty getting acclimated to that area. Although I don't think I would have any issues living in Williamsburg or Cape Charles, VA, which is about 3 hrs. south from me. So I'm thinking weather one's move from North to South is a permanent one, it all depends on the specific city/town one selects to move to.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's a widespread phenomenon here in Florida. They're called "halfbackers" who move down here thinking it's going to be all that, only to realize it's really not. Then rather than move back home choose a more moderate location climate/location-wise in states like GA, SC or NC. In my opinion it's indicative of Americans in general, operating from one extreme to the other...with little regard for moderation.
I agree with that sentiment, in most cases people go from extreme to another. I think those who make gradual moves are probably much happier with their decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.