Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:13 PM

538 posts, read 659,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned Allentown, PA. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are Pennsylvania’s premier cities, yet after that, most people who have never been to the state would struggle to think of another decent sized city. Perhaps Scranton would come to mind next. Most people outside of PA and NJ are not familiar with Allentown.
I would say Erie over Allentown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:44 PM

724 posts, read 561,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Deservedly so, though. I mean. Texas, California and Florida makes sense to ask this question of. Maybe SC. But GSO/Winston (the “Triad”) don’t really deserve not to be overshadowed in NC particularly considering the Carolinas have some great coastal and mountain cities
Texas, California and Florida have 3rd and 4th cities that could be the anchor metros for around 30 states. That's what intrigues me about these cities. I guess I should ask how big the sphere of influence each of those cities have in their states.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:27 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,114,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
On the national level, San Antonio is usurped by Austin and the Triad is unthought of outside NC. Probably can’t go wrong with either, though at least San Antonio’s has the Spurs Duncan going for it. All the Triad got was the Wake Duncan who never did diddly in March.
Both cities are recognized nationally, but historicaly, S.A. has been more known on a national level. Currently Austin is more of a hot spot for the hip lifestyle, but S.A. still holds its ground and is the most visited city in the state. It has more nationally televised events particularly sporting events like the Final Four, annual Alamo Bowl, NBA Finals, World Soccer-Futbol, Marquee Boxing, annual All America Bowl. Many TV shows have chosen both Austin and S. A. as their backdrop.

I think both cities are on the national consciouness but for different things.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 02-24-2019 at 12:55 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 04:21 AM

37,893 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Deservedly so, though. I mean. Texas, California and Florida makes sense to ask this question of. Maybe SC. But GSO/Winston (the “Triad”) don’t really deserve not to be overshadowed in NC particularly considering the Carolinas have some great coastal and mountain cities
Being that we're talking about the third-largest metro area in each state here, SC would be the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:10 AM

3,164 posts, read 2,217,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I’m surprised no one mentioned Allentown, PA. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are Pennsylvania’s premier cities, yet after that, most people who have never been to the state would struggle to think of another decent sized city. Perhaps Scranton would come to mind next. Most people outside of PA and NJ are not familiar with Allentown.
I think Harrisburg, being the capital, probably has the 3rd highest recognition among Pennsylvania cities. Harrisburg has very small city limits but is a pretty sizable and well-rounded metro area, especially given its links to neighboring areas like Lebanon, Lancaster and York.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
what about NJ, Patterson is hardly known

you could argue NJ may have the most overshadowed largest city or even second largest in the shadows of NYC

PA has a strange dynamic, no true 3rd but a few ~million metros

Philly 1.6M
Pittsburgh 300K
Allentown 120K (now even though only 180K smaller is far less prominent than the Burgh) add neighboring Bethlehem (75K) and it gets to 200K (the Allentown MSA is only a little more than 1 Million from Pittsburgh, Philly is almost 4M larger than Pittsburgh)
Erie 100K
Reading 90K
Upper Darby 83K (direct border of Philly)
Scranton 77K
Bethlehem 75K
Bensalem (another Philly direct neighbor) 62K
Lancaster 60K
Lower Merion (another Philly neighbor) 58K
Abington (another Philly neighbor) 55K
Bristol (another Philly neighbor) 55K

PA has really small city (township) boundaries area wise

Old 02-24-2019, 09:30 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,037,021 times
New Orleans is New Orleans. If someone were to visit the other 3 cities of Louisiana (Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette), chances are they´d come back raving about Lafayette. Very underrated place if you ask me.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:32 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
what about NJ, Patterson is hardly known

you could argue NJ may have the most overshadowed largest city or even second largest in the shadows of NYC

PA has a strange dynamic, no true 3rd but a few ~million metros

Philly 1.6M
Pittsburgh 300K
Allentown 120K (now even though only 180K smaller is far less prominent than the Burgh) add neighboring Bethlehem (75K) and it gets to 200K (the Allentown MSA is only a little more than 1 Million from Pittsburgh, Philly is almost 4M larger than Pittsburgh)
Erie 100K
Reading 90K
Upper Darby 83K (direct border of Philly)
Scranton 77K
Bethlehem 75K
Bensalem (another Philly direct neighbor) 62K
Lancaster 60K
Lower Merion (another Philly neighbor) 58K
Abington (another Philly neighbor) 55K
Bristol (another Philly neighbor) 55K

PA has really small city (township) boundaries area wise
Would you really call Allentown overshadowed though? Like the other cities in its neighborhood that aren’t state Capitals/Largest cities are Sarasota, McAllen, Oxnard and Bakersfield. None of which really have much higher profiles than Allentown.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:58 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,968,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I disagree, San Diego might be recognized as a place name but most people, even geographically knowledgeable ones don’t know nor consider much about it as a city. I bet far fewer than a generic 5 out of 10 people know that San Diego is California’s 2nd largest city.

I’m perfectly fine with that and its lack of crowded sidewalks off of Gas Lamp quarter streets. It still is a big city with all the amenities and fun one would expect without the irritating tourist crowds constraining most streets in some other cities, even as it is a demonstrably tourist city in many ways. It’s just a chill, happy city without much of the drama or excitement of the handful of first tier cities above it. It is nonetheless a surprisingly interesting and fine city to live in or visit if you know how to get out there and partake in just some of the cultural amenities ready to be discovered.
Are you sure? Even my relatives in Hong Kong have all heard of La Jolla even without us telling them about it, even before they visited La Jolla.

Does Winston Salem have anything even half as well known as La Jolla or Balboa Park or UCSD? I'd have to say Winston-Salem is more overshadowed.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Would you really call Allentown overshadowed though? Like the other cities in its neighborhood that aren’t state Capitals/Largest cities are Sarasota, McAllen, Oxnard and Bakersfield. None of which really have much higher profiles than Allentown.

sort of; Allentown is a larger area than most would think but is overshawdowed by NYC and Philly which are both 90 minutes away. It sort of becomes a bit of an afterthought because it straddles the most populated area in the country.

though am not sure what would be the most

for TX places like Austin or SA get a lot of pub

in CA San Diego is def well known

in Ohio the three c's are pretty well known

for Florida the three largest all get a lot of recognition including Tampa

most states don't have three major areas, most don't have 2 and some not even 1

not sure what would be the most

Maybe its Rochester actually, nearly the size of NOLA or SLC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.