Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which ones better?
Dallas-Fort Worth 21 38.18%
Minneapolis-St. Paul 34 61.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Have you forgotten all of the "Chicago vs. ____" threads in which the Chicagoans go on the attack making fun of other Midwestern cities in order to boost their own ego, much to the dismay of those who lived in these cities---people who inevitably came to their cities' defense and sparked arguments. I'm just waiting for the first person to bring up Dallas/Fort Worth's struggles with urban sprawl or Minneapolis/St. Paul's harsh winters and then have their words taken the wrong way, leading to yet another brou-ha-ha.
No, I haven't forgotten. But I think the op had good intentions. Most of the threads in this part of the forum end up in a brawl anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
No, I haven't forgotten. But I think the op had good intentions. Most of the threads in this part of the forum end up in a brawl anyway.
Yes. I just posted another nauseating tour of Scranton on another thread in order to hammer home the point that it wasn't a "total dump." I'm sure those with archaic PCs are going to hate me for that one! LOL!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,642 times
Quote:
Yes. I just posted another nauseating tour of Scranton on another thread in order to hammer home the point that it wasn't a "total dump." I'm sure those with archaic PCs are going to hate me for that one! LOL!
I haven't even opened that thread. Don't plan to. I can't stand the ones that are so negative that even the title depresses me!

Old 04-20-2008, 12:35 AM

84 posts, read 242,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nope, the Census Bureau says Atlanta is growing faster.

METRO AREA....2000 POP....2007 POP....# CHANGE....% CHANGE
Atlanta....4,248,012....5,278,904....+1,030,892... .+ 24.3%
DFW....5,161,520....6,145,037....+983,517...+19.1%
DFW has been in the second spot of most new residents and behind Atlanta for the past few years. However, the difference of new residents between Metro Atlanta and DFW has always been very minimal - let's face it: everyone's moving down South!

Still, it looks like DFW has overtaken Atlanta in most new residents lately. Maybe this trend will continue? Either way, DFW is still growing rapidly just like Metro Atlanta!

Dallas-Fort Worth tops Census list of growing metro areas - Dallas Business Journal:

Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 AM

910 posts, read 2,985,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You must be very new. When you ask broad questions such as this, it will slowly proceed into a pissing contest and you will have people become offended if they say the slightest negative about their area. So, what are you trying to do? Are you trying to choose between an area to live or are you just wanting a city vs city competition which leads to nothing.

re-read the question and you will find your answer. simple as that

Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
I've yet to visit Minneapolis-St. Paul, which I hope to do this summer, but just going on statistics and what I hear from several sources, I'd pick them over Dallas/Fort Worth in a heartbeat. Again, just going on what I hear, the Twin Cities are supposed to be one of the cleaner, safer, metros in America. Minnesota is consistently ranked towards the top as far as schools and the overall health of it's residents. It is also regularly is rated as one of the best places to live... if you don't mind that little stretch between December and March. The downside to all of this would be the higher price of housing, and higher taxes. An asset for the sportsman types, though, would be easy access to a lot of non-manmade lakes and thick forests.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,821 times
I would say post the stats on both cities and go from there.. There are a lot of people who have been to DFW but not Minn. and those that have been to Minn and not DFW.. cant really compare if that is what we are looking for here..

Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
It's not that we "don't like the thread." It's that more often than not certain "thugs" (especially from Chicago) poke their noses into these threads and start belittling other smaller cities, which then leads to a lot of in-bickering, and the thread disintegrates away from its original purpose with side arguments. A lot of people here have strong hometown pride, and when someone diminishes that, naturally you're going to face some backlash.
That is exactly where I was coming from. It's not that I didn't like the thread. It's just at any moment this thread could take a turn for the worse and you will go back and forth with negative comments and than the OP will be like, this is not what I expected.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,041 times
Yeah, I've always gotten the feeling that everyone disliked DFW on this forum...
but maybe its just me...

Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,497 times
Social Environment: Dallas/Ft. Worth

Aesthetics/Beauty/Parks/Community: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Weather: Winter: Dallas/Ft. Worth; Spring: Dallas/Ft. Worth; Summer: Minneapolis/St. Paul; Autumn: Tie

This is very tough. Dallas/Ft. Worth is a bigger metro, with over six million people, while Minneapolis/St. Paul has anywhere from 3-3.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.