Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,468 times

Advertisements

New York has no similarity to LA. Bricks vs beaches.

Boston and San Francisco.

Miami and Los Angeles. Beach culture and weather makes them appealiing.

Philadelphia has no similarity to any west coast city. Too much crime and very historic for an American city. Too centered around sports, food is nowhere close to similar. People are gritty.

DC has no similarity to any west coast city.

Atlanta and Seattle.

Pittsburgh and Portland.

Baltimore and Oakland.

Tampa and San Diego.

Atlantic City and Las Vegas. In a way. Atlantic City is not as large and it turns into a slum as soon as you leave the beaches and hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
What's with all the NYC-SF comparisons? They don't seem remotely similar. People keep saying "they're both dense", but New York is on a totally different level when it comes to that. They're both financial centers..but again, NY is on a totally different level.

Boston and San Francisco are basically perfect East/West counterparts. Both are very dense, tiny city proper borders, big metros, significant satellite cities, highly educated, liberal, very wealthy, financial services centers (GFCI has them tied at #17 in the world), and they're both tech-centers. Culturally both cities seem to have a "holier-than-thou" attitude towards many places.

The only comparisons with New York City and Los Angeles is that they're big, and they're media centers. I agree with past posts that say Miami is a more appropriate fit for Los Angeles. Both are extremely warm, beach culture, flashy, playground-esque in ways.

I'm not sure why people have been adding Chicago to the East Coast too haha. It's a 1,000 miles inland! We'd love to have Chicago added to the East Coast...maybe above Boston in Southern Maine? That way we can have a new anchor for the BoWash corridor? The ChiWash corridor

Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
tmac,

I completely agree! NYC & SF are nothing alike.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Atlantic City and Las Vegas. In a way. Atlantic City is not as large and it turns into a slum as soon as you leave the beaches and hotels.
Are you saying Vegas doesn't?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Are you saying Vegas doesn't?
Las Vegas slums do not look nearly as bad as slums in New Jersey.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
I think that SF shares more similarities to Boston than it does with NYC. I'd even say that it shares more similarities with DC than it does with NYC.

San Diego and Tampa have their similarities, but there are differences, which I break down here http://www.city-data.com/forum/11542202-post9.html (I used to live in both)

Miami and LA are relatively comparable in many ways, but there are clear differences, topography being the main one. I've always thought of Broward County as Orange County to Miami's LA. But that's in terms of how it relates to the main city of the metro, not demographics, politics or income, which are pretty different.

I don't understand the Atlanta-Seattle comparisons. Seattle has a waterfront, Atlanta does not. They are nowhere near alike. The only thing Atlanta has in common with the West Coast cities is the LA-like freeway oriented development, sprawl and traffic.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:44 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not sure why people have been adding Chicago to the East Coast too haha. It's a 1,000 miles inland! We'd love to have Chicago added to the East Coast...maybe above Boston in Southern Maine? That way we can have a new anchor for the BoWash corridor? The ChiWash corridor
That would be a mess of density and desolate the Midwest. I will not stand for it!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
New York = San Francisco (large; dense; heavily cultured / very diverse; very liberal)

Boston = Seattle (big, but smaller than other major cities; very educated population; may seem aloof to some; may seem pretentious to some; proud-to-be-liberal)

I strongly agree with these comparisons. I grew up around Boston and moved out to Seattle because I wanted to live on the west coast and found Seattle to be the most compatable city.

To add to your New York-SF comparison...
Oakland-New Jersey..strong parallels

Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
That would be a mess of density and desolate the Midwest. I will not stand for it!
Desolate the Midwest you say!? I didn't realize the current Midwest was a haven for urbanity and sensible planning. Come on, give it a try, you might like it

Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
When people are pairing SF with NYC, I don't think they're necessarily comparing SF to NYC; everyone knows that no city in America can touch New York. I think they're saying that San Francisco is to West Coast, what New York is to the East Coast. See the difference? In the context of the East Coast, New York is the most urban, has the best public transit system, has the largest financial center, etc. In the context of the West Coast, San Francisco is the most urban, has the best public transit system, has the largest financial center, etc. They're saying that SF is the NYC of the West Coast, not that SF is NYC or vice versa. There's a big difference.

Of course, this doesn't translate completely since New York is without a doubt the most important city on the East Coast, while Los Angeles is the definitely the most important city on the West Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.