Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Switch Houston and Dallas though. While the Rangers have average attendance, it's mostly because of location and it's hard to get to every night. If the team was in downtown Dallas, attendance would be higher. The Rockets are pretty average for attendance.
ESPN - NBA Attendance - National Basketball Association
By the way, Spade, I failed to mention that those lists I made are in no particular order. I'd have to do some serious research to give you any kind of a ranking system. But what I've listed is not necessarily ranked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I agree. Does anyone really care about the NBA anymore?
No. That's why the playoff ratings this year are 100% over last year. And the Finals this year are the most anticpitated in years. I swear there are some really stupid people on these boards.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
By the way, Spade, I failed to mention that those lists I made are in no particular order. I'd have to do some serious research to give you any kind of a ranking system. But what I've listed is not necessarily ranked.
gotcha.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Detroit is a good sports city. I mean, they sell out the Lions for crying out loud.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 9,019 times
I can't believe no one has placed Buffalo among the best sports cities in America. Buffalo sports fans have been through more heartbreak then any other body of fans in America (ex. Wide Right, No Goal, Music City Miracle, etc.). Though we have never won any championships our fans continue to support the Bills and Sabres more avidley then ever. The Bills sell out every game in a 74,000 capacity stadium while still being the second smallest market in the NFL leading only Green Bay. The Sabres also sell out all of thier games and I think Buffalo has the best hockey fans outside of Canada. the point is that people in Buffalo live and die by the Bills and Sabres and our the most passionate fans in America.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:56 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,193,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Pittsburgh ranked among the best? Have you seen the pitiful support the Pirates get? And how lousy the Penguins' support was until they started winning and then the bandwagon started? The only team that gets any support in Pittsburgh is the "Stillers."
Not quite sure what stats you're looking at. Here is the Penguins attendance figures through their losing years:

2001-02: 16,336
2002-03: 14,249
2003-04: 11,877
2004-05: Lockout
2005-06: 15,804

Mellon Arena seats 17,000, so I'd say these figures are pretty good for a city with a metro of 2.4 million and a very crappy team.

As for your Pirates comment: Our baseball team has become an absolute disgrace. We've had more losing seasons than any team in history, tying the 1933-48 Phillies. It is an utter embarrassment that deserves protest because the management of the Pirates simply use the team as a commodity...they make more than the vast majority of the MLB teams out there, yet refuse to spend any money on the team. It's ridiculous, and this situations speaks nothing about the loyalty of our sports fans one way or the other.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
This is not just based on the quality of the teams, but on the quality of the staduims, the atmosphere in the stands, and the devotion of the fans.

Mine

Best
1.Boston
2.Cleveland
3.Chicago
4.New York
5.Green Bay
6.The Bay Area
7.Detroit
8.Pittsburg
9.Atlanta
10.Dallas

Worst:
1.Miami
2.San Diego
3.Seattle
4.Tampa
5.Los Angelas
I'll have to say that Phoenix fans may not be as devoted as say, Cleveland Brown fans (for better or worse), but as far as events to attend at different venues, there are several. The fact that there are a lot of transients here, it's hard to know who supports who, but at least for baseball, many fans get a chance to see their teams in Spring Training...

Arizona Cardinals - University of Phoenix Stadium
Arizona Diamondbacks - Chase Field
Phoenix Suns - US Airways Center
Phoenix Coyotes - Jobing.com Arena
Phoenix Mercury - US Airways Center
Arizona Rattlers - US Airways Center
The Arizona Flame (IBL) - Grand Canyon University (Formerly Arizona Veterans Memorial Stadium)
The Arizona Lightning (IBL) -
Proposed Soccer: Phoenix Rising

University:
ASU Sundevils - Sun Devil Stadium (has hosted Superbowl)

Fiesta Bowl - University of Phoenix Stadium (has also hosted Superbowl)
Insight Bowl - Sun Devil Stadium (formerly hosted Fiesta Bowl)

Phoenix International Raceway:
Two Nascar Racing Events per year

Cactus League Spring Training:

Chicago Cubs - HoHoKam Park
Chicago White Sox - Glendale Ballpark
Cincinnati Reds - Goodyear Ballpark
Cleveland Indians - Goodyear Ballpark
Kansas City Royals - Surprise Stadium
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - Tempe Diablo Stadium
Los Angeles Dodgers - Glendale Ballpark
Milwaukee Brewers - Maryvale Baseball Park
Oakland Athletics - Phoenix Municipal Stadium
San Diego Padres - Peoria Sports Complex
San Francisco Giants - Scottsdale Stadium
Seattle Mariners - Peoria Sports Complex
Texas Rangers - Surprise Stadium

LPGA - Safeway International
PGA - FBR Open (Previously Phoenix Open) - Scottsdale
PGA - Frys.com Open - Scottsdale

Marathon - P.F. Chang's Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon

Will host 2009 NHL All-Star Game

Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
i gotta say (after living in ct, nyc and nj), been to new england games vs raiders, etc.. philly has the craziest fans i've seen. they don't wear costumes or any of that crap but they bring the party. drunk, rude, nitrous huffin lunatics...
the real deal over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.