Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 01:06 PM

1,071 posts, read 792,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The Hispanics and Asian population are usually out in the burbs instead of being in the city anyway.

Just drive along Buford Highway in NE part of Metro Atlanta...

Atlanta (city proper) demographics reminds me somewhat of DC - also very black and white with a dividing line, areas that are gentrifying, with very diverse suburbs.

Personally to me Atlanta is not really "cool"...it's not a bad place to live but as they said, it's "too busy to hate" as its reputation is more of a place where corporate type can make a living. Reminds me of Dallas (which is anything but "cool") in that sense.
So, we're going to pick on Dallas now? I'm also going to push back on this. Freakonomics did a 2 part podcast earlier this year on why people are moving to Dallas. Hint, it's not just for jobs or LCOL (though I would also argue that these are "cool"). I love this quote from a lady they interviewed that moved from NYC to Dallas:

Quote:
I think if you’ve never been to a place, there could be a lot of assumptions, everything from pop culture to politics. And I would say: withhold judgment until you come. You hear different languages on the street, all throughout the galleries of the museum, incredible universities. There is something for everyone, so I would hope that they would be open to the idea and not shortchange what they think they might know about Dallas. It is a fantastic place to live.
Dare I say it... it seems there's a fair amount of close-mindedness on these forums based on certain stereotypes. To me a big city with good jobs, reasonable cost of living, vibrant art scene, diversity, great universities, and a bunch more is cool. This is not to diminish the coolness of large coastal cities, I just don't see the point in limiting my perspective to such a narrow range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 01:21 PM

1,204 posts, read 797,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
So, we're going to pick on Dallas now? I'm also going to push back on this. Freakonomics did a 2 part podcast earlier this year on why people are moving to Dallas. Hint, it's not just for jobs or LCOL (though I would also argue that these are "cool"). I love this quote from a lady they interviewed that moved from NYC to Dallas:

Dare I say it... it seems there's a fair amount of close-mindedness on these forums based on certain stereotypes. To me a big city with good jobs, reasonable cost of living, vibrant art scene, diversity, great universities, and a bunch more is cool. This is not to diminish the coolness of large coastal cities, I just don't see the point in limiting my perspective to such a narrow range.
I grew up in Houston, so of course I'll pick on Dallas .

But what the lady is describing is basically a "cosmopolitan" city, and Dallas is definitely not some backward cowtown anymore (that would be, well, Fort Worth ). It doesn't make Dallas a "cool"/"sexy" pick - but that doesn't mean Dallas is a bad city to live in, either.

In terms of Texas cities Austin is usually consider the "cool" place anyway, that's not going to change.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:53 PM

1,071 posts, read 792,296 times
Quote:
But what the lady is describing is basically a "cosmopolitan" city, and Dallas is definitely not some backward cowtown anymore
That's exactly my point. Most cosmopolitan areas are actually quite interesting. They are not just "a place where corporate type can make a living" (your words, not mine). I'd rather live in a city that's actually cool in terms of what it offers rather than chasing outdated reputations.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,815,368 times
Quote:
I grew up in Houston, so of course I'll pick on Dallas .

But what the lady is describing is basically a "cosmopolitan" city, and Dallas is definitely not some backward cowtown anymore (that would be, well, Fort Worth ). It doesn't make Dallas a "cool"/"sexy" pick - but that doesn't mean Dallas is a bad city to live in, either.

In terms of Texas cities Austin is usually consider the "cool" place anyway, that's not going to change.
How is FW a backwards cowtown? It definitely feels like a major city to me. It's even a Lil cool

Old 11-08-2022, 02:14 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
California was a cool place to live 40 or 50 years ago. Now much of it is a national embarrassment. Cost of living, traffic, crime, illegals.

You can get much better for your buck elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 797,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
How is FW a backwards cowtown? It definitely feels like a major city to me. It's even a Lil cool
Lol...I am clearly joking . Plus it was a cowtown (i.e. the stockyard) and is quite proud of that history.

FW overall is underrated. Maybe it can become the "cool" city one day with people "discovering" it.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
California’s cool status was built on being a place to live, a lifestyle. It drove generations to move there.
That lifestyle was driven by the hippies and anything goes attitude—great music/bands, “summer of love”, drug culture, nature, chill and laid back….evolved with a great culinary and wine scene (NorCal). Has definitely taken a hit in the past decade or two with growing homeless populations, crime, tech nerds replacing artistic types, too woke/politically correct types, etc.

There might be cool cities, doubt there are cool states—as good portions of CA used to be; that ship has sailed.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-08-2022 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-08-2022, 07:18 PM

578 posts, read 564,656 times
I drove through downtown Fort Worth on a Friday evening earlier this year. To me it was possibly the nicest downtown I've seen in the U.S., pound for pound. It's clean, pretty and was filled with people strolling around, packing bars and restaurants, and going to shows. The people were attractive and well-dressed; this was not the crowd one normally sees when shopping at Kroger or Walmart. I was amazed.

Old 11-09-2022, 03:23 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times
Quote:
I would say Colorado. Lots of younger people wanting to move there as it has that mountain scenery and being "hip"...oh and of course being mile high (Well, more states now legalized weed but CO was the first).
Washington legalized marijuana on the exact same day as Colorado.

Overall, for cool states I would put Washington, Oregon and Colorado at the top. All have tons of breweries, super strong stoner culture, cool music (that's more WA and OR), awesome outdoor scenery and activities, really hip cities (WA - Seattle, Bellingham; OR - Portland, Bend; CO - Denver, Boulder), etc. etc.

Old 11-09-2022, 06:43 AM

12,845 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Washington legalized marijuana on the exact same day as Colorado.

Overall, for cool states I would put Washington, Oregon and Colorado at the top. All have tons of breweries, super strong stoner culture, cool music (that's more WA and OR), awesome outdoor scenery and activities, really hip cities (WA - Seattle, Bellingham; OR - Portland, Bend; CO - Denver, Boulder), etc. etc.
Couldn't have said it better though I'd say most people think California is cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.