Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 06:46 AM

12,844 posts, read 9,578,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
So, we're going to pick on Dallas now? I'm also going to push back on this. Freakonomics did a 2 part podcast earlier this year on why people are moving to Dallas. Hint, it's not just for jobs or LCOL (though I would also argue that these are "cool"). I love this quote from a lady they interviewed that moved from NYC to Dallas:

Dare I say it... it seems there's a fair amount of close-mindedness on these forums based on certain stereotypes. To me a big city with good jobs, reasonable cost of living, vibrant art scene, diversity, great universities, and a bunch more is cool. This is not to diminish the coolness of large coastal cities, I just don't see the point in limiting my perspective to such a narrow range.
I wouldn't describe Dallas universities as incredible, though I love that person's positivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 07:20 AM

1,204 posts, read 797,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Washington legalized marijuana on the exact same day as Colorado.

Overall, for cool states I would put Washington, Oregon and Colorado at the top. All have tons of breweries, super strong stoner culture, cool music (that's more WA and OR), awesome outdoor scenery and activities, really hip cities (WA - Seattle, Bellingham; OR - Portland, Bend; CO - Denver, Boulder), etc. etc.
Colorado in particular is definitely where I keep hearing people wanting to move to - and in turn, make Denver area (along with Boulder and Fort Collins and CO Springs) more and more expensive. Washington state is also attracting tech people away from SF Bay Area. And of course, to nobody's surprises those two states grew fast, really fast.

Oregon...well, Portland area is still attracting people (and at times, weird/eccentric people). No more liberal hippie type to the coast, though...those people are definitely aging.

Old 11-09-2022, 09:29 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,133 times
Sure. People are moving to Colorado. But are they cool
People? From my experience (having even
maybe 30 times since 1986) it’s very bro. They take things and make them worse (like turning bluegrass into jam band nonsense).

Old 11-09-2022, 09:47 AM

1,376 posts, read 929,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The Hispanics and Asian population are usually out in the burbs instead of being in the city anyway.

Just drive along Buford Highway in NE part of Metro Atlanta...

Atlanta (city proper) demographics reminds me somewhat of DC - also very black and white with a dividing line, areas that are gentrifying, with very diverse suburbs.

Personally to me Atlanta is not really "cool"...it's not a bad place to live but as they said, it's "too busy to hate" as its reputation is more of a place where corporate type can make a living. Reminds me of Dallas (which is anything but "cool") in that sense.
Atlanta is cool because of its place in the "culture." It's the city that's the biggest contributor to hip-hop. It has celebrities in town all the time. You see Hollywood A-listers all over the city, Sports Athletes living in the city in their offseason. You have tech companies investing majorly in Atlanta to hire black talent. COL is rising rapidly as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Georgia—> Really just Atlanta
I think Savannah is pretty cool, one of the coolest places in all of the United States.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:17 AM

509 posts, read 433,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
I think Savannah is pretty cool, one of the coolest places in all of the United States.
I'm in Savannah right now having tacos at a cool taco place on Bull Street. Can confirm it's cool here

Old 11-09-2022, 10:39 AM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
Cool is subjective. I find that the coolest places are the ones people rarely know about!

Old 11-09-2022, 11:29 AM

1,071 posts, read 792,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Athens, GA also looks like an interesting small city... perhaps even cool?

Old 11-09-2022, 11:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 574,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Athens, GA also looks like an interesting small city... perhaps even cool?
According to my husband who lived in ATL for 3.5 yrs, who worked for international music labels and with many recording artists/bands, Athens is really charming and cool, many beautiful Antebellum architecture there. A cool college town with booming music scene.

R.E.M is from Athens, GA. (So is B-52’s.)

Old 11-10-2022, 07:40 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
That lifestyle was driven by the hippies and anything goes attitude—great music/bands, “summer of love”, drug culture, nature, chill and laid back….evolved with a great culinary and wine scene (NorCal). Has definitely taken a hit in the past decade or two with growing homeless populations, crime, tech nerds replacing artistic types, too woke/politically correct types, etc.

There might be cool cities, doubt there are cool states—as good portions of CA used to be; that ship has sailed.
People who live in CA still think it's pretty cool. Like 39M people. Most that leave do so due to cost - if they could still afford it, they'd stay (mostly).

Also, I think anyplace where celebrities live and work and make movies is always going to have that cool factor.

Finally, most of the top tech companies are still HQ there. Anytime I read about coolest employers to work for, or up and coming tech dream jobs, etc. like half of them are in California somewhere.

I personally don't want to live in CA, but the only people saying it's not cool anymore are people who don't live there.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:06 AM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I personally don't want to live in CA, but the only people saying it's not cool anymore are people who don't live there.
Winning statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.