Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 169,102 times

Advertisements

I'm from Indianapolis and I personally think that Indy is the best city in the midwest. But there are alot of people from Indy that think that. I want to know what people from other cities think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
i hate to burst your bubble, but I would hardly say that Indianapolis is even close to the best city in the Midwest. In fact, it's one of the last cities on my list because it just doesn't seem as rich in culture nor as big as the other big cities. Plus, it's near no big bodies of water and completely flat. This is just my opinion, but I would have to say that Indy is just no match for other Midwestern cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, the Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. these cities have peaked my interest far more than Indy. I'm just one person though. I actually would probably put Indianapolis and Columbus dead last together in terms of big cities in the Midwest.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
i hate to burst your bubble, but I would hardly say that Indianapolis is even close to the best city in the Midwest. In fact, it's one of the last cities on my list because it just doesn't seem as rich in culture nor as big as the other big cities. Plus, it's near no big bodies of water and completely flat. This is just my opinion, but I would have to say that Indy is just no match for other Midwestern cities like Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, the Twin Cities, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. these cities have peaked my interest far more than Indy. I'm just one person though. I actually would probably put Indianapolis and Columbus dead last together in terms of big cities in the Midwest.
I visit a close friend every year that made the move to Indy about 5 years ago...she loves it there and I found it to be clean, friendly, relaxed and possessing great neighborhoods.
I have visited all the cities you cite above (excepting the Twin Cities) and find Indianapolis preferable to all of them (except Chicago, but that's tough competition).

Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I have been through Indy a couple of times and I liked how the city had a progressive look to it. Another thing is Indy may be a flat city but it's not to far from Lake Michigan or the Bluegrass region of Kentucky where the Ohio river carves through the bluffs. I think Indy is in a relatively ok spot. Better off than Cleveland, OH, or Gary, IN.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I have been through Indy a couple of times and I liked how the city had a progressive look to it. Another thing is Indy may be a flat city but it's not to far from Lake Michigan or the Bluegrass region of Kentucky where the Ohio river carves through the bluffs. I think Indy is in a relatively ok spot. Better off than Cleveland, OH, or Gary, IN.
What exactly is wrong with Cleveland. What are your thoughts on it? Have you been to Cleveland? I can agree with Gary or even Detroit. Where is your stance on Cleveland?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom13 View Post
I'm from Indianapolis and I personally think that Indy is the best city in the midwest. But there are alot of people from Indy that think that. I want to know what people from other cities think
I do not think Indianapolis is the best city in the midwest.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
What exactly is wrong with Cleveland. What are your thoughts on it? Have you been to Cleveland? I can agree with Gary or even Detroit. Where is your stance on Cleveland?

I've stayed in Cleveland a couple of times and I didn't like how it felt more like a NE city than a midwest city. The only things I really liked were the rock n roll hall of fame. The city itself seems to be in a downward spiral. I felt as though it was to industrialized as well.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:48 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I've stayed in Cleveland a couple of times and I didn't like how it felt more like a NE city than a midwest city. The only things I really liked were the rock n roll hall of fame. The city itself seems to be in a downward spiral. I felt as though it was to industrialized as well.
Thank you for your opinion. Just wondering. Cleveland is high on the upswing with almost 5 billion in development just downtown alone. One of the fastest growing downtown populations. I do agree, Cleveland does feel more NE than Midwest, but I think that adds something to us just due to the fact that we are considered Midwestern. Same can be said about most of NE Ohio being more NE feeling than Midwest.

Indianapolis to me lacks culture and history. Not saying there is none there at all, but it is more like a newer city such as Columbus and Madison.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Thank you for your opinion. Just wondering. Cleveland is high on the upswing with almost 5 billion in development just downtown alone. One of the fastest growing downtown populations. I do agree, Cleveland does feel more NE than Midwest, but I think that adds something to us just due to the fact that we are considered Midwestern. Same can be said about most of NE Ohio being more NE feeling than Midwest.

Indianapolis to me lacks culture and history. Not saying there is none there at all, but it is more like a newer city such as Columbus and Madison.

I will agree with you on that. Cleveland has the history, Indy has the progressiveness.

I don't think is the best city, but it's also not the worst.

Last edited by JoshB; 06-29-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 03:58 PM

203 posts, read 689,278 times
Yea Indianapolis is probably the best in the midwest, or St. Louis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.