Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:35 AM

486 posts, read 982,288 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in a little bit of a bind, I have a job offer for a position in Charlotte. I am expecting a job offer for a position in California (San Jose area). The position in California will be a higher level of responsibility, in a prestigious company that would look very good on my resume. I think both have excellent opportunities for growth. The salaries are comparable for both areas, I would be making about 125% more in California than I would in Charlotte, but I am sure I will be spending it all to live there. I have visited Charlotte, I absolutely loved the area. I thought it was beautiful and a great place to raise my son. I have no family or friends in Charlotte, but I do have family in Atlanta (3 hours away). I have not been to this particular area of California. However, I know the person that I would be reporting to very well. I have family in Los Angeles and San Diego.

I don't know what to do. I have to make a decision because I can't leave the position in Charlotte hanging forever. I think that I would be happy in either place. Oh... if it helps any, I currently live in Ohio and most of my family is here. I don't have to worry about parents, both are deceased. My only sibling lives in California, he is my half brother, we are not that close.

What would you do?

Last edited by maaci; 07-12-2008 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 AM

51 posts, read 241,545 times
I guess for me a lot would depend on both salaries and cost of living in both areas. If the salary is about equal say it is going to cost you 1000 dollars a month rent in one place for say a 2 BR and 2000 for a one room place I would go with the cheapest ocst of living.
Also, which place do you like best? Lots of variants there. Have you been to both places? Which do you feel best iin.
Good luck, these are difficult decisions.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Not only is the cost of living different in both places, the CULTURE is different, very different in both places. In the end, a job is only secondary for your overall contentment in life. I've lived in California and now live in the Charlotte area. You would continuously have to keep a job like you have now to live comfortably in the Bay Area. If you lost that job, would you be able to find one right away? Not that I'm saying that the job market in Charlotte is all that steady as well, but if you manage your finances right in either place, chances are you'll manage a little longer on less down here. People are generally friendly and very welcoming to newcomers. I suggest you visit the Charlotte and the Bay Area forums to get a long distance view of either place. We don't have family here either (most of them are still in Northern and Southern CA), but we've made friends that can sometimes be more available than family could ever have.

Best of luck in making a very difficult decision.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:34 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
San Jose: There are some very nice and very medium areas in San Jose. $400,000 will buy you a tiny (950 sf), plain, apartment-like condo...expect to pay over $1,000,000 for a small house in a nice area.

Personally, I'd choose Charlotte, but you need to make the decision yourself. I think I'd do some research on schools, size of classrooms, cost of living, crime, air quality, etc....to determine the best environment for my child - that is how I would make my choice. Good luck on your decision and move.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
Hello,

I am in a little bit of a bind, I have a job offer for a position in Charlotte. I am expecting a job offer for a position in California (San Jose area). The position in California will be a higher level of responsibility, in a prestigious company that would look very good on my resume. I think both have excellent opportunities for growth. The salaries are comparable for both areas, I would be making about 125% more in California than I would in Charlotte, but I am sure I will be spending it all to live there. I have visited Charlotte, I absolutely loved the area. I thought it was beautiful and a great place to raise my son. I have no family or friends in Charlotte, but I do have family in Atlanta (3 hours away). I have not been to this particular area of California. However, I know the person that I would be reporting to very well. I have family in Los Angeles and San Diego.

I don't know what to do. I have to make a decision because I can't leave the position in Charlotte hanging forever. I think that I would be happy in either place. Oh... if it helps any, I currently live in Ohio and most of my family is here. I don't have to worry about parents, both are deceased. My only sibling lives in California, he is my half brother, we are not that close.

What would you do?
Since you have a good feeling about Charlotte already, I'd think that you would want to choose that job offer.

As someone else has already stated, the financial cushion needed to survive the cost of living in Charlotte, NC is significantly less than in San Jose, CA. As a working mother, this is a very important detail.

Another thing to note is that Charlotte is not very far from either Ohio or Atlanta, GA.

I wish you luck in your decision.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
San Jose: There are some very nice and very medium areas in San Jose. $400,000 will buy you a tiny (950 sf), plain, apartment-like condo...expect to pay over $1,000,000 for a small house in a nice area.

Personally, I'd choose Charlotte, but you need to make the decision yourself. I think I'd do some research on schools, size of classrooms, cost of living, crime, air quality, etc....to determine the best environment for my child - that is how I would make my choice. Good luck on your decision and move.
This is very sensible advice. FWIW, $400,000 in Charlotte will buy you a brand new 3700 sq foot house in the best neighborhoods. Please let us know what you eventually decide on.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
California = high taxes/gas/electricity, illegal immigrants, and gangs

NC = lower taxes/ gas/ electricity, lower cost of living

Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 AM

486 posts, read 982,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
This is very sensible advice. FWIW, $400,000 in Charlotte will buy you a brand new 3700 sq foot house in the best neighborhoods. Please let us know what you eventually decide on.

I thank everyone for their opininon. I do believe that Charlotte would be a better choice for my child, the selfish side of me believes that California would be better for my career. It's a nice area in Cali (as far as I have read), so I think he would be okay there as well. I will make my decision soon and I will keep you posted. Thanks

Old 07-12-2008, 11:24 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I would go with North Carolina as well. NC has some excellent school systems and your not to far from the mountains either! North Carolina in my eyes looks a whole lot cheaper than California. As others have said Illegal Immagration is huge in California.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 AM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
and illegal immigration affects your daily life how?

why not just say "theres alot of hispanics there" which is what you intended on saying anyways

freakin racist hicks THIS COUNTRY WAS BUILT ON IMMIGRANTS

i sure as hell dont wake up in the morning before work and say "wow its gonna be a tough day to get through with all these illegal immigrants here"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.