Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:51 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

There are currently TWO threads running on here about fat southerners...just another excuse to stick it to the South like y'all love to do on here.
BTW, I'm not just some indignant fat person griping...my nickname in high school was Olive Oyl.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:35 AM

122 posts, read 338,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
There are currently TWO threads running on here about fat southerners...just another excuse to stick it to the South like y'all love to do on here.
BTW, I'm not just some indignant fat person griping...my nickname in high school was Olive Oyl.
Yes Ma'am! I feel like you, LovinDecatur, they seem to love to "stick it to us" LOL!

While my family does enjoy the typical Southron cusine from time to time, I don't prepare meals like that often.

We eat alot of fish, never fried, usually grilled or baked, or blackened...
lots of fresh veggies, steamed or roasted.

I don't make sweet tea anymore, I've learn to brew it in such a way that it's just as good unsweet...though I have to admit, I was raised on sweet tea so sweet that if there was any left over from the day before it had turned to syrup! LOL

Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I think congress and state officials should be put on diets and exercise plans too. Need some budget cuts, might as well take some off of their steak dinner and baked potato tabs for public schools. Dang, im hungry now.
Probably true haha. Doesn't really set a good example for the people if you have a state representative resembling Jabba The Hut

Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
It is amazing to me after reading this thread and others like it how people from other parts of the country 'see us'.

I guess the t.v. shows and movies have not made it any easier to portray the true South either.

I'm torn, as to whether to enlighten you on how the South is really, or just let you keep on thinking how you want to about us in the hopes that you just won't move down here.

In truth, we are a very genteel people who love to cook and can cook great foods. OUr social lives have always revolved around food as it is part of our hospitality and is considered disrespectful to have someone in your home and not invite them to drink or eat something.

Yet, that does not mean we all cook with huge amounts of lard or whatever. Nor do we go around with a huge fried piece of meat at every meal. That is a misconception of people who tend not to learn about us.

For instance, if one comes to my home for a month straight, if they are lucky and request it, I might fry something for a meal.

I quit cooking with regular oil as well and use mainly olive oil, but that does not mean you can't find a can of Crisco in my home, you can.

Many Southerners have changed the way we cook, and yes, still love the old fashioned way, but that is not a daily lifestyle for most of us anymore.

Diet is and can be key to being overweight in the South, but the modern lifestyle promotes sitting at every opportunity whether it is watching t.v, computers, video games, etc...The overweight syndrome is hitting at a much younger age because these kids have nothing else they want to do. It is damned hot here during the summer, opressive heat that makes it hard to breathe in, so unless one has a pool it is really hard to get kids outside when there are more fun things to do inside.

I've raised two boys. One is 20 and the other is 14. The 20 year old was not into sports, and so he stayed more indoors. He had to battle weight issues when he was a teen, not because of how I cooked per say, but a mixture of all the above plus...

today's schools are on such short budgets they can provide foods that are not nutritional to students a lot cheaper than they can fresh foods and good for you foods. This has been an ongoing battle for years and I feel we are still losing this battle.

My son was raised on fresh fruits and veggies, cooked rice and baked or grilled meats. We just simply do not like fried foods around here. That still did not help him and he had to have the want to to get the weight off, and he still battles with it.

My youngest is into athletics and has been brought up on the same type of food as the older one. He playes as many as 3 ballgames per day 4 to 5 days a week, and he is super skinny. His favorite food? Would you believe oatmeal?

So, you guys can spout that it is diet and poverty all you want, but the truth is, there are numerous factors contributing to the obesity of our people.

Last edited by aiangel_writer; 07-21-2008 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 AM

208 posts, read 605,352 times
Good point aiangel_writer.

There are obese people in all of the states. The reasons for obesity apply to everyone, regardless of their geographical location. Diet may be more more of a contributing factor in the South, but people are obese for a variety of reasons. But since the southeastern corner of the US has a higher rate, it gets alot of attention.

However, most of the nation falls between 20-30%. If it ranged from 10-60%, then yeah, that would really stand out more.

On a side note, some of most obese people I know that moved to Tennessee came from other parts of the country. Of course the local culture contributes to that number too, but that's what I've observed.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM

122 posts, read 338,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Good point aiangel_writer.

There are obese people in all of the states. The reasons for obesity apply to everyone, regardless of their geographical location. Diet may be more more of a contributing factor in the South, but people are obese for a variety of reasons. But since the southeastern corner of the US has a higher rate, it gets alot of attention.

However, most of the nation falls between 20-30%. If it ranged from 10-60%, then yeah, that would really stand out more.

On a side note, some of most obese people I know that moved to Tennessee came from other parts of the country. Of course the local culture contributes to that number too, but that's what I've observed.
I too noticed that most of the states were separated by mere points, seemingly fractions of a percent....hmmmmmm

Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM

314 posts, read 1,037,172 times
The south is more poor, less educated and grade schools are bad so good habits aren't taught as well. Also, when you are poor, you will get food that is cheaper/more filling

Old 07-21-2008, 08:48 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnprincess View Post
I too noticed that most of the states were separated by mere points, seemingly fractions of a percent....hmmmmmm
Anyone that thinks that the south has cornered the market on fat hasn't driven through the midwest lately

Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 AM

145 posts, read 509,065 times
south people brag about "being able to cook" ...like its really that hard.

lol

and add chicago and nyc to that list...they are always bragging about how much nasty fattening food they eat like pizza/hot dogs/bagels.

i love living in california where you can find fresh ingredients all year round , and we dont brag about something as dumb as a hot dog either

Old 07-21-2008, 10:26 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Anyone that thinks that the south has cornered the market on fat hasn't driven through the midwest lately
Very true. Kansas City has more than its fair share of blubbery babes and gargantuan guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.