Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most infamous U.S. city
New York city 16 17.02%
Los Angeles 23 24.47%
Chicago 19 20.21%
Houston 10 10.64%
Philadelphia 9 9.57%
Phoenix 9 9.57%
Detroit 53 56.38%
Las Vegas 23 24.47%
Miami 17 18.09%
Atlanta 3 3.19%
Omaha 7 7.45%
San Diego 2 2.13%
Other-please explain 7 7.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 09:18 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:00 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Whoever put Houston on this list was high. Houston and infamous should not be in the same sentence.
It must be pretty dull in Houston if you are spending time scouting out ancient threads that are uncomplimentary to that place. Party on...

Old 09-29-2019, 07:58 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,320,333 times
In terms of sheer notorioty going into the new decade..... Baltimore

Lets just say the last 4 years haven't shed the best light on the city

Old 09-29-2019, 12:15 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Hoe the hell did Omaha make the poll? not Baltimore?????

Old 09-29-2019, 01:03 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
As I stated before, I would have to say Detroit. Although it can be a decent place with decent people in the right time and place, it deserves the title of the most infamous city. Theres no getting around that.

Its sad to say but I would have to say my hometown Cleveland also.
- Very High Crime rate, very high rape rate, 7th most dangerous in the country, 10th this year, has been murder capital before, 333 murders in one year, 5th most gang presence in the country. The torso murders, the majority of cops killed in Ohio are in Cleveland, about half of the prison population comes from Cleveland.
- The Mafia, they ran the town before, Cleveland is a very infamous mafia city, was the car bombing capital of the world in the past.
- Corruption, Cleveland is very infamous for all the corruption in the city government and different departments.
- Poverty, has been #1 poorest major US city several times, this year its 2nd.
- Foreclosures, Cleveland was one of (if not THE) worst hit city with foreclosures, Cleveland was on the news the most for that showing Slavic Village and other neighborhoods that were in ruins because of it.
- Drugs, Cleveland is one of the biggest drug markets and distribution areas in the country, a lot of the drugs either come from here or go through here.
- Pollution, has been top 10 polluted cities in the country on a lot of different lists. The river caught on fire because of it...
- Abandonment, the decay is horrible in Cleveland, tons of abandoned buildings and houses, falling down/run down buildings, the city has lost over half its population since 1960. No Detroit, but yes it can get bad.

All that and more is what makes Cleveland infamous. Its sad to see because I think Cleveland has such great potential. I still love the city and the area. Its not all horrible like that, and some of it is unfair or exaggerated, but Cleveland is an infamous city.
Since this thread was resurrected, I reread this post. Not sure what he believes in but it sure is not Cleveland. Hey, I know we've got problems, crime, etc. but this post is way beyond fair, in fact quite slanderous. Calling Cleveland the car bombing capital of the world? I am aware of one time in the 70s there was a brief mob scuffle and several car bombs were set off. The mafia never ever came close to being a major presence in Cleveland, yeah there were a few connections, nothing that we're known for. The torso murders happened back in the 30s so that's ancient history (albeit a great story if you like the history of great crimes - it was never solved.) Anyway, I have to comment whenever I see such one-sided mis-information. And I pride myself in being unbiased and trying not to be a homer.

Like how they admit to being unfair and exaggerating - gets points for honesty here.

Last edited by 216facts; 09-29-2019 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 01:16 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Yeah that was an odd post. Cleveland didn't really have an infamous mob history. And even more surprisingly, Pittsburgh didn't really either, even though it has one of the highest percentages of Italians in the metro area, and the birthplace of unions. also most of them immigrated in the main mob era (1900-1940 roughly) , my family included.

Youngstown DID have a bad history with it though, kind of surprising being a smaller town directly in between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Some smaller towns outside Pittsburgh did have a big mafia influence tough, but it wasn't really a big thing in the city itself (as documented, anyway)

Last edited by _Buster; 09-29-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 03:44 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
San Francisco is the one city both liberals and conservatives despise (for different reasons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.