Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 08:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

This forum comes and goes. At times it is very interesting, and at times very lame. I have been a CD member for 1 1/2 yrs now, and that has been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Is it just me or has this forum gone downhill fast?

It used to be this forum was informative and interesting to participate in, where there were actually interesting and intelligent topics to discuss and argue. Now, seemingly, it has attracted the uninformed, uneducated, and ignorant people of america, and seemingly hijacked by people from cities like Omaha and Indianapolis.

Now there are new threads started daily, that discuss topics that have been discussed weeks before

Does any share the same sentiment as I? Why has this forum gone downhill?
I agree. How many "which city has the best skyline" do we need? How about "most exciting city", or "most cosmopolitan city"? I also wish some of the smaller cities got a little more respect on this forum. New York, Chicago, Seattle are all nice cities, but not everybody lives there or has the ability to. When you bash the lesser cities, you are bashing somebody's hometown.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I've been surfing here for three years,but never made a username til about a year ago.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
1. Redundancy
2. Lack of humor
3. Prejudice agenda ie: race, religion, and status.
4. Age has nothing to do with it, intelligence does.
5. Redundancy
6. Pathetic posts serving to validate
location choices, not facts.
7. Immature and mean spirited retorts from at least
one member with a surprisingly high reputation.
8. Redundancy
9. Member turnover I personally miss CDF classics.
10. May I suggest a Omaha, Scranton, Chicago time out ?
I would also like to add oversensitivity...for example, for some, if someone from Chicago, like myself, would say to someone from Indianapolis, well...i've found that it's not quite as urban or city-like as I would like...

...the person would explode, as if I were personally attacking him/her and their integrity. It's not YOU, it's my opinion of a city.

THen you have people, obviously haven't completed high school, or may have and flunked, who have never been to a city and make completely outrageous claims.

The problem is that these forums show up first in google, and random info seekers actually get information from here. I agree on the Omaha and Scranton time outs. I think it's great to promote a city, but when you start creating dillusions, it actually makes the city worse, especially when people then have high expectations and in turn become utterly dissappointed.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
You know, you could just start an "informative and interesting" thread instead of whining. Oh, wait, I live in Indianapolis, I better step back before this thread gets dumbed down
I would go out on a limb and point out a positive correlation of your involvement in the forum and the downfall of it.

no offense.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
I agree with the thread starter. This place has been going downhill. The least people could do is try to be respectable and not post the same thread 5 times that has already been done just a week or two ago. Search the forums before making a new thread. And a lot of immature stuff like "my city is better than your city" or "your opinion on my city is wrong because I dont agree with it or want to admit it". Im a little dissapointed because this should be a place where you can get reliable and unbiased information on places, but we are learning otherwise.

I also agree that all this Scranton, Omaha stuff needs to stop. I think some people are on here with an agenda. Scranton is a tiny metro area and relatively unimportant but its getting more threads made on here than most of the larger cities. Same goes with Omaha. If you are asking about specific cities, than go to that state or cities forum.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I would also like to add oversensitivity...for example, for some, if someone from Chicago, like myself, would say to someone from Indianapolis, well...i've found that it's not quite as urban or city-like as I would like...

...the person would explode, as if I were personally attacking him/her and their integrity. It's not YOU, it's my opinion of a city.
I really don't care what anyone thinks of Indianapolis. It is when you, or anyone, is a beligerent a-hole about it. That is what sets some people off. I know that some people around here are overly sensitive; but to say all of us are that way is a mis-categorization. There is a difference between "I don't like your town" and "your town is full of closed-minded hicks and no normal person should never consider moving there."

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-08-2008 at 06:17 AM..

Old 08-30-2008, 04:41 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This forum comes and goes. At times it is very interesting, and at times very lame. I have been a CD member for 1 1/2 yrs now, and that has been my experience.

Agreed..and it's the same with most other forums I've been a part of. Its like a cycle, and because it depends on human input, it's never static. If you dont feed the 'trolls', they get bored and move on eventually. Then you'll get a whole new set further down the track...gotta love forum dynamics!
But I love places like this, and thank the cybergods every day that we have a cyber-world to be a part of!
Just my 0.02 worth.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That about sums it up.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
we need antagonists...in life small town or big city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.