Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 05:57 PM

122 posts, read 337,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Oh, for more southern women like you! I was raised by a mother and grandmother exactly like this. Keep up the good work, it is the reason southern hospitality exists, it isn't naturally inbred, it is cultivated from one generation to the next.
Thanks for the encouragement, Saintmarks!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:44 PM

29 posts, read 126,280 times
Default I LOVE the southern accent

I used to live in Texas, then moved to rural Virginia, and then left to Massachusetts. I kind of have a southern accent, but if you think a southern accent is bad, you should listen to a New Englander speak in one of their accents. Its the UGLIEST thing you will ever hear. I love the Southern accent, but that is a whole different story from heavy hick accents.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theamericanguy View Post
I used to live in Texas, then moved to rural Virginia, and then left to Massachusetts. I kind of have a southern accent, but if you think a southern accent is bad, you should listen to a New Englander speak in one of their accents. Its the UGLIEST thing you will ever hear. I love the Southern accent, but that is a whole different story from heavy hick accents.
Hey now, having just spent thanksgiving with my New England family, I heartily beg to differ, I love their accents (and despite being a Chicagoan, have been accused of having a bit of one myself as a result of growing up around them).

Old 12-03-2008, 06:36 AM

194 posts, read 491,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Not from my experience! You should get out more.
Thanks Bideshi! English accents are not cold fishwife accents. Plus, tarring all English accents with the same brush is just like me saying that all American accents are the same, and we all know that's not true. I have a very 'British' accent (no regional accent) and everone I know really likes it, especially in Southern USA!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,026 times
I like the New England accent as well. Think of Steven King movies. Having lived in GA for 18 years, not a big fan of southern accents, though some are better than others. Can't stand the backwoods redneck kind and can not understand a word of it!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Yeah, I didnt think the New England accents were "Ugly" at all, and Ive been around Texas accents my entire life...I thought they were crazy, and weird and quirky and somewhat cool and funny but not ugly.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I like the New England accent as well. Think of Steven King movies. Having lived in GA for 18 years, not a big fan of southern accents, though some are better than others. Can't stand the backwoods redneck kind and can not understand a word of it!
Hehe, I always joke whenever I find myself planning to go out to New Hampshire that I'm off to 'Stephen King Country" (which I know is Maine, but let's face it, rural Northern New Hampshire isn't much different.

I don't find any accent "ugly".

Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Notice I said "accents" - because theres not just one but Lord knows how many..

I mean, really. They arent THAT bad. Compare them to NY, NJ, or a nasal Chicago twang (aka Shrilary Clinton) then they sound almost musical!

Whats wrong with haveing a very soft Southern drawl? It can actually soften the harshest of English words

I heard a story once- Im not sure where from. This man HATED Southerners and Southern accents. He was having chest pains and called 911, when a woman with a very calming Southern voice answered the phone. She talked him through things and he got the hospital. He later said the sweet sound of her Southern voice kept him calm and collected- he TOTALLY changed his mind about the Southern accents.
People are elitists who think they are better and more intelligent than people with a southern drawl.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 AM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Notice I said "accents" - because theres not just one but Lord knows how many..

I mean, really. They arent THAT bad.

Whats wrong with haveing a very soft Southern drawl? It can actually soften the harshest of English words
Where do you get the idea that people hate southern accents?

They get much attention but that doesn't mean that people hate them.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Sadly, I think the "southern accent" is connected to people many Americans consider to be unintelligent and racist. People like President Bush give the "southern" accent a bad name & when a person speaks with a southern accent others view him/her as dumb. This, of-course, is not true. Personally I love listening to a Southern woman but find that a man with a "Texas" accent very unappealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.