Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Suburban, Urban or Rural?
Suburban 22 27.85%
Urban 22 27.85%
Rural 28 35.44%
Other (if I missed a designation) 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:31 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

I have observed that some people absolutely insist there is no place like...pick your choice: suburban, urban or rural regardless of what you yourself might prefer.

Which do you prefer? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 10:22 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
I chose rural, I do like the city and all.

It's just in the city, you put a pool in your yard, people can come jump into it, and yadda yadda.

However it's not AS likely to happen in the country..
Plus... It's sometimes a lot darker at night and I like astronomy.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:33 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Urban. I like the vitality. I enjoy being able to walk to restaurants (and for those restaurants to be somewhat unique rather than the usual Denny's, Chili's, Applebees, etc.), the grocery store, the local park and to be able to have the option to bike or take public transport if I desire. I like the streetlife, seeing people actually out and about. I like having cultural amenities at my disposal, things like museums, independent movie theatres, symphonies, university guest lectures, professional sporting events and rock concerts. I like the convenience and the excitement that generally comes with living in an urban area.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I prefer the urban thing. I've lived in an urban area for many years now (I grew up in an inner-ring suburban area) and while certain aspects are a real pain in the rear (I'm about at my breaking point with my local public transportation system), I'm not even sure that I know how to do the suburban thing anymore ... although I'm sure I could learn (I moved to an urban area when I was 18 and I'm in my mid-thirties). All of my friends who live in the 'burbs always complain that they think that living in the city is too complicated, but while certain things are (you can't just hop in your car and get something if you don't own one), too me there is a sense of freedom (but a funny sort of freedom that is coupled with a stifledness) that I feel here that I don't get when visit the more suburban and rural areas that I know people in. Of course, they say just the opposite, funny how that is. Everyone seems to have their areas that fit. I've always felt more comfortable in urban areas than I have in rural areas, and other people I know are just the opposite.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
I like rural because of the freedom. When you live in an urban environment you sacrifice so much, just to get paid more so you can pay to use other's property for fun. People in cities are more selfish but les likely to pry into your business. Rural scenery does beat the city anytime. I like to have more control of my life and you can't get that living in a city. Also in a city you have no resources to fall back on in an emergency. Country living is freedom.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Totally rural. Totally.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
I chose Other, because my husband and I have figured out what we like:
Small town urban.
We are done with big cities, but neither of us are crazy about the 'burbs, and rural requires too much driving.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:33 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
I voted "other" for pretty much the same reason as cil.

I like small cities/large towns and I like to live within walking distance of the city-center.

When vacationing I like all or nothing: either a huge vibrant city...or out in a tent in the middle of "nowhere".

Old 02-16-2007, 08:44 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
Thanks for the answers everyone.

cil and/or plaidmom,

could you describe "small town urban" for me.

I don't see much of that described and the only place I know that might fit that description is in New England. Two areas come to mind: the Pioneer Valley with Northampton as the hub (~30,000) and perhaps the New Milford, CT area with many adjoining smaller towns that make the area vibrant but still small town in feel.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:
cil and/or plaidmom,

could you describe "small town urban" for me.
Ok, I'll try.

It means having pretty much everything dullnboring described above...but on a smaller scale.

I don't have quite the excitement,the diversity, nor the variety available to a city-dweller, but I do have some of the cultural opportunities (great library, decent symphony, indie cinema) and I have a walkable/bike-able lifestyle.

I think some of the towns you describe in New England fit the bill, as do many small "college towns.

My current small town has it's pluses and it it's minuses. I don't think it's my "forever" place , but it's good enough for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.